Sign in to follow this  
1st fltsimguy

How to Crush a Guy

I will pass on this one, not my cup of tea. I would love a 757 and 767 series in PMDG form but they won't go there 

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

If you want to know what the appeal of a classic airplane is, ask any pilot.  Most pilots, including me, look at airplanes the same way many teenage boys and car enthusiasts look at cars.  We see the chance to fly a P-51 or Spitfire(vintage supercars of the aviation world) just as if a car enthusiast was asked if he/she wanted to drive a Shelby Cobra or Jaguar XKSS.   The chance to fly something virtually that we likely won't ever get to fly for real is very appealing.  Even more reason to model the planes that will be gone forever soon so that they may be preserved in digital form.  Awhile back when I was flying, I went to the FBO to rent a plane, I had a choice between a brand new 172SP full of moving maps and dual Garmin GPS...or a 1960 Piper Comanche 250 with a cockpit like a 60s muscle car...it was a no brainer for me.  That's like choosing between a Prius and a vintage Muscle car..

Old airplanes are not only desired for their historical value or rarity, just like a vintage sports car, they are also valued because they are the best 'teachers' of flying.  The 'bar' for aircraft mastery in a vintage airplane is typically a bit higher than that of a modern computerized airplane, because you the pilot have to do more of the work and have to have a solid understanding of the systems.   So you really learn a lot about airplanes and flying when you master an old airplane, such as this DC-6.  If you really want to learn about flying and develop good pilot 'instincts', there is no better teacher than an old airplane.  If you are a simmer and want to know what it's like to 'think' like a pilot...master an old airplane like a T-6 or this DC-6.

That being said, I think the best course for PMDG and A2A is to keep a healthy variety of projects, which they have done.  I know PMDG will do more modern airliners, I hope they keep a couple of vintage side projects going as well.  Most importantly, the developer's should make what they are passionate about.  Passion shows up in the finished product.  Robert and Scott are both very passionate about flying and bring that to both PMDG and A2A, and it shows in their products, whether it's a vintage warbird or a modern jetliner.

Cheers

TJ

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shivers9 said:

but I just don't understand the old airplane thing

I,m just the opposite,I love the oldies,they are full of character! but then I like low and slow flying ,but at the converted price of £54,dare I say that it is something of a bargain compared with some of the other stuff around,you can pay £35  for some add ons and  then have to wait for a certain gentleman on Avsim to sort them out!, PMDG is supposed to be the best around,Im tempted to treat myself to a PMDG add on,looking forward to seeing the vids

Peter

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

So I see PMDG has just released a DC-6, fantastic I say....I think I'll get this one.....WHAT...$70 US....nearly $100 Canadian?

I know they good. I know they are high end planes. They must know what they are doing, right?

But there is no way in Hades that I could or would ever afford to spend that much on one plane. How about a dumbed down version for say $40.

Sad...is this "fake news?"

Bryan

We got two developers who produce dumbed down aircraft. Good eye candy with bad systems. One even pumps out new aircraft every few months! Both developers names start with a C.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

59 minutes ago, pilottj said:

If you want to know what the appeal of a classic airplane is, ask any pilot.  Most pilots,

I went to the FBO to rent a plane, I had a choice between a brand new 172SP full of moving maps and dual Garmin GPS...or a 1960 Piper Comanche 250 with a cockpit like a 60s muscle car...it was a no brainer for me.  That's like choosing between a Prius and a vintage Muscle car..

I'm a low time private pilot and I've never gotten into old planes or had any desire to fly old equipment. The only thing I do have a soft spot for is older jet fighters like the Century Series fighter planes and older commercial jet aircraft, neither of which I'll ever have a chance to personally fly.

I'm the same way with cars. Although I like sports car, I wouldn't consider myself an enthusiast, but have always liked either the newer European sports cars or even some of the newer Jap models, but always hated the American classics like Corvettes, Mustangs, Cobras, etc. Not sure why,  but I think it's mainly that I've never liked the looks of American cars and always considered the muscle cars as junkers that just go fast and guzzle gas and have no special appearance to them. I'll take any of the newer M series BMW coupes or Mercedes AMG coupes over any American model. Granted they might not have the same 0-60 speed but I like the luxury and looks much more.

I do agree however about the older planes as being great for learning airman ship and navigational skills vs. newer all glass models.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Put it simply I would love to have this plane in my hanger.....but I just can't afford it at that price point.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

9 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

So I play golf....I don't tons of luxury money...so I play the local and muni courses. In fact I buy five game passes which reduce the round coast to $22 each, I walk for exercise and save the cost of a cart.  I would love to play high end white sand trap courses...they run in the many $100 per round...I do not will not ever play them. Such is life.

so  skip  4  rounds of  golf  and  there  you  go  you  got  the  dc-6,  better off  joining  golf  club :smile:

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Living in SE Europe it's hard for me to believe that someone from USA/Canada considers $70 to be too much for such a complex plane. The fact is that prices of top addons have exceeded $100 long time ago and I'm afraid sometime next year we might see planes between $150-200. Now 777 at almost twice as Cloudmaster, that's something I myself can't afford too.

My current audio setup is the Cambridge Soundworks PCWorksFourPointSurround SW1000 system with a Woofer, two front & two rear speakers, fed from a Sound Blaster Fatality X-Fi console.

I've yet to hear a better output. (I often use headphones, and I also use it for recording)

When I can, I turn it up to 'Window Rattling Mode' (tm) when flying.

I just may buy this bird for two reasons - my first ever holiday flight was on the DC-6, I got into the cockpit for quite a while (still got the pics from 8000' over the English Channel in '66), and to try this sound system on it. From what Robert says, I'm looking forward to hearing those radials again, but this time at FL zero...(and just as loud as in '66)..

With regard to GA 'planes, I have yet to find a GA aircraft to better the A2A Cherokee. I'd rather see PMDG keep to 'liners'....

Well done, PMDG.

Regards

Bill

On a brighter note, they decided not to rip of P3D customers this time, and charged the same price for both platforms.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

10 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I'm a low time private pilot and I've never gotten into old planes or had any desire to fly old equipment. The only thing I do have a soft spot for is older jet fighters like the Century Series fighter planes and older commercial jet aircraft, neither of which I'll ever have a chance to personally fly.

I'm the same way with cars. Although I like sports car, I wouldn't consider myself an enthusiast, but have always liked either the newer European sports cars or even some of the newer Jap models, but always hated the American classics like Corvettes, Mustangs, Cobras, etc. Not sure why,  but I think it's mainly that I've never liked the looks of American cars and always considered the muscle cars as junkers that just go fast and guzzle gas and have no special appearance to them. I'll take any of the newer M series BMW coupes or Mercedes AMG coupes over any American model. Granted they might not have the same 0-60 speed but I like the luxury and looks much more.

I do agree however about the older planes as being great for learning airman ship and navigational skills vs. newer all glass models.

Try taking a BMW in for simple service and get a $1500 bill. You will soon lose your taste for the German cars. Never again for me.

Bill W

7 hours ago, elprim said:

Living in SE Europe it's hard for me to believe that someone from USA/Canada considers $70 to be too much for such a complex plane. The fact is that prices of top addons have exceeded $100 long time ago and I'm afraid sometime next year we might see planes between $150-200. Now 777 at almost twice as Cloudmaster, that's something I myself can't afford too.

Believe it! Its not about the complex plane nor considering it too much. Its about priorities and sim developers have to do what they have to do but should know that they are competing with a lot of other real world things.

Its a long story, but the short story is, for me, I can't afford it. And fyi its $100 for me, Canadian. If you told me $40 I could buy it with one month of my computer budget for flightsimming. Or wait three months and save up.

The long story is (while not really necessary part of this topic it might help you understand), perhaps you are younger, I'm 67, a middle class family guy, three adult kids, four grand children, family is always the priority. My budget and suspect like most folks like me is very tight fixed income, I even have a budget for lawn mower gas. Perhaps you haven't heard that in USA and Canada the average household dept have been rising for many years now as folks fall further behind economically. While entertainment or hobby's have a place the budget is restricted. Example, we don't go to movies, ever. We have gone out for a dinner out once in the past two months (and it was cheap). Some like me have or are paying for or taking care of elderly parents. Its a glass house and one must be careful not to treat it roughly.

And this is only part of any middle class north american family life. Lucky those who are financially well off enough that dropping $100 is easy.

cheers

Bryan

• Upvote 2

Near CAM3

10 minutes ago, BillW said:

Try taking a BMW in for simple service and get a $1500 bill. You will soon lose your taste for the German cars. Never again for me.

Bill W

Too funny Bill...and an example of to what I was referring above, real world....my 7 year old chevy is starting to worry me but I haven't yet had to experience that sort of bill.

Near CAM3

9 hours ago, pete_auau said:

so  skip  4  rounds of  golf  and  there  you  go  you  got  the  dc-6,  better off  joining  golf  club :smile:

lol...that would do it....but then I would have no wife.

No way we can afford "two" golf club memberships.

Near CAM3

16 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

LOL....I went to their site and reviewed the new issues and price points. I actually did get the FSX version of Queen of the Skies 747, on disk from a local store, many many years ago. Does that count for a discount?

That was the older version, so no. P3D is even worse at $134 USD. $70 isn't much compared to $90 or $134.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.