AviatorMan

PMDG DC6B Released for P3Dv4

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, and it is amazing :biggrin:

Would like some comparisons between it and the a2a constellation though, as I am looking at getting that too. 

• Upvote 1

I've only made a single flight with it so far, but it's beautiful and performs very well on my system, which is by no means "high end."

I also have the A2A Connie and they're definitely in a class together. I don't have enough time in either one to do an in-depth comparison, though. I suspect that there will be a long-running debate as to which is the better add-on.

I have loved both airplanes since I was a kid, but my first flight in an airliner was aboard a United DC6 in the late 60's (Lo and behold, there's a livery for that!), so I have a decided bias toward the 6.

That's all for now...gotta get back to the manual.

• Upvote 1

Not particularly interested in this one. Did they announce what's next for them? 

14 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Did they announce what's next for them? 

Not yet, but that has to be soon.  After the 747-8 I'm expecting them to confirm a new version of the 737.  there's nothing else known in the pipeline as far as I know.

I wish they went for the 767 and while NGX is getting old in terms of today's visual standards, it's still an awesome bird. 

Ah yes, the aircraft that PMDG spent years on that nobody wanted lol...

9 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Well, i wanted it, badly !! And so they have created it especially for me !

To all simmers here not interested: have fun programming your FMC's ! You don't know what you're missing !  :ohmy:

• Upvote 7

5 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

Has anyone tried this yet in v4?

Still looking for my socks.. :cool:

39 minutes ago, Mitch24 said:

Speak for yourself. 

• Upvote 4

Hey, I was just trying to get a little feedback from those who have tried this great aircraft in P3Dv4, not to start a discussion on the aircraft that other people "really" wanted.

• Upvote 4

It's beautiful!!!  The performance and handling is very good... good FPS...

Flying right now from PAEN to PAIL... P3D v4

SHP6U6.jpg

t5NNYz.jpg

• Upvote 1

So far I like it and have it in my hangar.  By accident, I figured out how to get the yoke to work.  When I first loaded the aircraft at KIAD, Wash Dulles, I was able to take off with minimal flaps and I was totally amazed how it went straight down the middle of the runway did not pull to the right or left.  Using the flaps I got the aircraft off the ground but then wanted to stear it over to Reagan National.  Nothing.  Aircraft would not turn but continued to climb.  That's when I discovered you had to do something different to get the yoke to operate.  Looked for instructions on board or in the menu and found none but, saw a lot of stuff to push and pull near the pilots seat and wa la, the yoke worked!   Wish the extensive documentation I found today in the PMDG DC6 directory was linked to the PMDG Ops Center like the other PMDG aircraft but it is in the PMDG directory and it looks quite thorough.  Looks like they have a nice tutorial from Portland, Oregon to Seattle over Orbx PNW scenery and I definitely will be doing that.  They have another one from KSEA to CYVR (Vancouver) which I will try too.  Always fun to learn new things.... 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a great aircraft, and I'm going to get it. Probably get the A2A Constellation as well. I already have the Just Flight versions for both aircraft, but I want the full systems approach that PMDG and A2A seem to have given these aircraft. When I was very young, 6-10 years old,flew in American Airlines DC6's and DC7's many times, as my Dad was a Flight Engineer.and the family flew free. It was a great experience. I regret that I never had the opportunity to fly on a Connie.

I was on the fence with this one but I had several trips as a boy in the 6 and I'll pick it up this weekend. My first ride in a Link trainer was configured for a Connie so I have the A2A bird also. Just love the sounds of those engines.

Looking forward to some fun flying.

Vic

I already own this on X plane but I never really warmed up to that platform so it's on my short list to buy.

There are very few things in common with the XPL version and this one, especially in P3Dv4.  First and foremost is the sound, the sounds are probably the best sounds ever realistically created for any simulator ever.  Second, a much improved FDE thanks to Alex Metzinger who joined PMDG for this project.  This airplane is a simple joy to fly.  Forget A/P (it has the old original Sperry which was a great A/P in its day) and forget GPS.  This is a pilots aircraft.  Am I biased, only because I fly a twin prop in the real world.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jim Young said:

So far I like it and have it in my hangar.  By accident, I figured out how to get the yoke to work.  When I first loaded the aircraft at KIAD, Wash Dulles, I was able to take off with minimal flaps and I was totally amazed how it went straight down the middle of the runway did not pull to the right or left.  Using the flaps I got the aircraft off the ground but then wanted to stear it over to Reagan National.  Nothing.  Aircraft would not turn but continued to climb.  That's when I discovered you had to do something different to get the yoke to operate.  Looked for instructions on board or in the menu and found none but, saw a lot of stuff to push and pull near the pilots seat and wa la, the yoke worked!   Wish the extensive documentation I found today in the PMDG DC6 directory was linked to the PMDG Ops Center like the other PMDG aircraft but it is in the PMDG directory and it looks quite thorough.  Looks like they have a nice tutorial from Portland, Oregon to Seattle over Orbx PNW scenery and I definitely will be doing that.  They have another one from KSEA to CYVR (Vancouver) which I will try too.  Always fun to learn new things.... 

Best regards,

Jim

Might that be the gust lock Jim?

It can have disastrous consequences.......

Gust lock engaged

39 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Might that be the gust lock Jim?

It bit me a couple of times, the DC6 pilots on the team mentioned they always taxi with the gust lock on and keep it on until pretakeoff checks.  I always remove the gust lock in the Chancellor before engine start.  After not being able to advance throttles 2 & 3 for takeoff and facing the embarrassment of having to have fellow beta team members point out my error I have found it possible to remember the gust lock every time.

40 minutes ago, cowpatz said:

Might that be the gust lock

Sounds like that might be it.  But, as I stated, my aircraft went straight and took off with the lowering of the flaps a couple of notches.  I would have been okay if I wanted to go straight and maybe FL440. 

Hi All

Flown both planes in P3Dv4 and P3Dv3.4 versions

These are fabulous planes with a bit more to flying them than the average Carenado/Alabeo

Very satisfying once mastered-just takes that bit more input from the "pilot" to get them into the air and down again in one piece

Takes your "simming" to the next level-great fun!

xxd09

I have both. As others have said: too early to give a definitive view.

I'd say they are similar in a number of ways. These are my top 2 developers and I think all their products are great. I'd say, if you like one, you'll like the other.

The Captain of the sky feature is a lot of fun, in the Connie. I love the banter and grunting from the FO and flight attendant. The career mode is cool too.

Yeah. They're both great. If you can live without going 385 knots, they should be in your hanger.

I own (almost) every single A2A aircraft and fly their GA offerings almost exclusively - I did not get the Strato or the Connie. I've never purchased a commercial airliner.

That said, I will be getting the 6. Looking forward to my first experience with a plane this size.

I got this one last night after working in the yard all day and drinking beer lol.

I take off out of klax 7l going to head to klas.

Take off perfect fantastic bird,passing 10,000 going to 12,000 the screen started going black.

The shape i am in i think some is wrong with this sim as in a bug,get mad and turn comp off.

Get up this morning and read the forms and find you i needed to turn on the oxygen lol.

you are not going to get that with modern tub-liners. looking forward  to many flights with this bird.

Thanks PMDG Best regards TedKiser

3 hours ago, frieone said:

Get up this morning and read the forms and find you i needed to turn on the oxygen lol.

Simply set the gauge for your flight altitude.  It pretty much does the rest.