FlyBaby

Flight1 GTN 750 performance impact

Recommended Posts

Hi,

My Specs are i7 7700k / 16GB 3200 Ram / GTX 1080

 

Question 1

Can anyone comment on the performance impact of the flight1 GTN 750?

I am flying AntsAirplane's Eaglet to use with the GTN 750.

Currently I am capable of flying the Carenado DA42 glass cockpit smoothly...if that's any type of reference point.

Also

I see that we can't load P3D flight plans into the GTN 750. How does Active Sky P4 know what weather to load if a P3D flight plan is not loaded?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't really see any hit with the gtn units

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding flight plan, just load your flight plan into active sky and then enter the flight plan manually into the GTN unit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

My (freeware) SimLauncherX application can export FSX/P3D flight plans in Garmin .gfp format to be used by the GTN units.

Maarten

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

No noticeable performance hit.  I have a similar setup as you, only difference is I have a gtx1070.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

I don't really see any hit with the gtn units

Me neither. What I get is the GTN slowing to a crawl when it is undocked. When docked, it is nice and smooth.

 

Russ

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, mawibo said:

Hi,

My (freeware) SimLauncherX application can export FSX/P3D flight plans in Garmin .gfp format to be used by the GTN units.

Maarten

Really? You're trying hard to get me to try SimLauncherX. (getting close too)

Share this post


Link to post

I've documented this in other areas but the GTN 750 will use 5-10% of your CPU so if you have it set to one core that could use 40% of that core just for the GTN if you open 2 GTNs in your panel it doubles. I tend to run my GTN 750 or 650 on the last 2 core option this way it stays off the first core and allows two cores to spread the load. By the way things like ChasePlane also use 4-6% of total CPU so these things add up. I tend to move all addons to the second core that are small users and larger uses like GTN and CPto either the last two cores. The GTN configuration tool has this option. I use Simstarter NG to launch all my addons and assign cores to keep everything off the first core (core 0) to allow it for P3D which even in v4 bangs that core 100%.

Bottome line GTN 750 uses the most CPU of any addons I run and you should watch core loading with the task manager to balance things. Oh by the way I network Active Sky weather in from a client PC, if you don't do that cores will fill up quickly with medium to high settings.

Joe

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, joepoway said:

I've documented this in other areas but the GTN 750 will use 5-10% of your CPU so if you have it set to one core that could use 40% of that core just for the GTN if you open 2 GTNs in your panel it doubles. I tend to run my GTN 750 or 650 on the last 2 core option this way it stays off the first core and allows two cores to spread the load. By the way things like ChasePlane also use 4-6% of total CPU so these things add up. I tend to move all addons to the second core that are small users and larger uses like GTN and CPto either the last two cores. The GTN configuration tool has this option. I use Simstarter NG to launch all my addons and assign cores to keep everything off the first core (core 0) to allow it for P3D which even in v4 bangs that core 100%.

Bottome line GTN 750 uses the most CPU of any addons I run and you should watch core loading with the task manager to balance things. Oh by the way I network Active Sky weather in from a client PC, if you don't do that cores will fill up quickly with medium to high settings.

Joe

Agree ,

Tried with GTN.INI Core =998 (which puts the GTN1 (750) on core 3+4 and GTN 2 (650) on core 0+1 (?) (I7-4770K HT OFF)

Doing so increased the load on those cores making my before stable OC crash at FTX Germany Berlin:biggrin:. Its summertime and outside temp is having an influence as well.

Maybe spreading them over 3 cores is better. 

Is there a way without Simstarter (dont have it) to set the CPU Cores for Chaseplane,Active Sky Network,Vpilot etc automatically ?

Noticed that Chaseplane was struggling to change views sometimes on 2 cores (1+2)

 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Agree ,

Tried with GTN.INI Core =998 (which puts the GTN1 (750) on core 3+4 and GTN 2 (650) on core 0+1 (?) (I7-4770K HT OFF)

Doing so increased the load on those cores making my before stable OC crash at FTX Germany Berlin:biggrin:. Its summertime and outside temp is having an influence as well.

Maybe spreading them over 3 cores is better. 

Is there a way without Simstarter (dont have it) to set the CPU Cores for Chaseplane,Active Sky Network,Vpilot etc automatically ?

Noticed that Chaseplane was struggling to change views sometimes on 2 cores (1+2)

 

Thanks

Michael Moe

You can do it manually with task manager>details>affinity assignment but it needs to be done every time you start up because it doesn't hold. Another popular choice is Process Lasso

Also remember to keep things off the first core which is core zero that gets consumed by P3D

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
On 06/08/2017 at 1:05 AM, mawibo said:

Hi,

My (freeware) SimLauncherX application can export FSX/P3D flight plans in Garmin .gfp format to be used by the GTN units.

Maarten

At present there is a bug with the GTN Cmplete and for some users it can't import gfp files (certainly in P3D V4).

It's being followed up in support forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Is there a way without Simstarter (dont have it) to set the CPU Cores for Chaseplane,Active Sky Network,Vpilot etc automatically ?

You can call up an AM through FSuipc4 , ( not tried it in FSuipc5 )

this is the command line for AS16 in p3dv3.4

[Programs]
Run1=AM=12,CLOSE,C:\Program Files (x86)\HiFi\AS16_P3D\AS16.exe

bob
 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6.8.2017 at 2:05 AM, mawibo said:

Hi,

My (freeware) SimLauncherX application can export FSX/P3D flight plans in Garmin .gfp format to be used by the GTN units.

Maarten

Where can I find the function to export a Garmin .gfp Flightplan ? I can not find anything about it in the SimLaucherX-Manual.

Thanks, Achim

PS: Found in the Flightplan Menu

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Achim,

The manual still needs to be updated. You can look through the change log ('Change log' button on the Home ribbon tab) for the latest features,

To export a flight plan, just select a flight plan and select 'Export to .gfp' on the 'Flight plan' ribbon tab (last button in the Route group).

Maarten

Share this post


Link to post

One is fine but 2 seems to have a GPU impact.  If not there is a botlekneck somewhere.

 

Cheers

jja

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now