Sign in to follow this  
787WannabePilot

What is your source for choosing your flight route?

I usually just pull up an airport in Flight Aware and look at what is departing and where to and will pick one based on the aircraft I have and any payware airports.

As an aside, I use PFPX for planning. Most of the time it plans a route as per Flight Aware. Where PFPX really comes into it's own is exporting. I export a flight plan to PMDG only - when you load the CO Route in the FMC, PMDG will automatically generate a .PLN for P3D to use. Active Sky can be set to automatically load whatever plan is active in P3D so the whole process is streamlined with PFPX I've found.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

I usually use Simbrief, but it does provide a lot more information than a casual  flight sim pilot needs. FlightAware is satisfactory for flight plans.

Guest JustanotherPilot

+1 Simbrief

On 9/16/2017 at 1:04 PM, johnnycrockett said:

As an aside, I use PFPX for planning. Most of the time it plans a route as per Flight Aware. Where PFPX really comes into it's own is exporting. I export a flight plan to PMDG only - when you load the CO Route in the FMC, PMDG will automatically generate a .PLN for P3D to use. Active Sky can be set to automatically load whatever plan is active in P3D so the whole process is streamlined with PFPX I've found.

+1

I still use FSbuild to create a broad pattern then break out the (now Navigraph Charts) work out a solid route.  Then wash the routing with added details through Simbrief for the package and file download.

Haven't pulled the trigger on a PFPX purchase.  Not sure about it yet.

+1 for Simbrief, I've never had troubles with it and have used it for everything from short hops all the way the crossing the pond. 9/10 times it matches a real world route that I'm after and if that's not the initial pick it'll be somewhere down the list. 

Nick Austin

CXA102-1.jpg

6 hours ago, Tokitaumelie said:

As an aside, I use PFPX for planning. Most of the time it plans a route as per Flight Aware. Where PFPX really comes into it's own is exporting. I export a flight plan to PMDG only - when you load the CO Route in the FMC, PMDG will automatically generate a .PLN for P3D to use. Active Sky can be set to automatically load whatever plan is active in P3D so the whole process is streamlined with PFPX I've found

Yup, SimBrief, does all the above.... Even, get an IFR clearance in P3D.

Regards,

Jerry Friz

On 9/15/2017 at 9:04 PM, johnnycrockett said:

I usually just pull up an airport in Flight Aware and look at what is departing and where to and will pick one based on the aircraft I have and any payware airports.

Coming from FSX, I export to both FSX & PMDG from PFPX and then load the flight plan into FSX prior to launching the flight. I then I add the route through the CO Route in PMDG. When I load the flight from FSX, Active Sky picks up the route anyway.

What is the different between yours and mine other than a step or two extra?

On 9/15/2017 at 2:22 PM, ErichB said:

How do you exclude FIR airspace using Simbrief flightplanning?  The Baghdad FIR for example is avoided on real world routes between Europe and Dubai.  I know how do do this with PFPX, but not with Simbrief.

Does anyone know how to do this?

If I plan a flight from Heathrow to Dubai, Simbrief takes me straight through Syria and Iraq.  Real world routing avoids those FIR airspaces for obvious reasons.  How do I get Simbrief to take account of excluded airspaces?

Very simple, FlightAware for route, simbrief to create brief package.
I will use SkyVector for Charts and google if I can't find international ones.

In short,FlightAware gives good estimations and SimBrief is very accurate on assisting with final preps and all the little details (Step CLimbs, ETOPS, FIR boundry times etc..). I honestly prefer it over PFPX...as a dispatcher myself, SimBrief feels like home.

I use FlightAware and copy the route into PFPX.

I tried using strictly PFPX to create the route, but the program gave me some ridiculous results.

31 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

I use FlightAware and copy the route into PFPX.

I tried using strictly PFPX to create the route, but the program gave me some ridiculous results.

The route isn't provided for routes outside of the US on Flightaware.  US routes only

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

The route isn't provided for routes outside of the US on Flightaware.  US routes only

More like routes originating in the US and Canada. If you pull up New York to Tokyo, it'll show up fine, but it won't work the other way around. I had a look at Vancouver to Hong Kong, and that one also showed up fine.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

36 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

More like routes originating in the US and Canada. If you pull up New York to Tokyo, it'll show up fine, but it won't work the other way around. I had a look at Vancouver to Hong Kong, and that one also showed up fine.

True but a close look at the flight's ground track provides a good clue on which PACOTS track they used.  At least for the RJAA and VHHH to US they are pretty consistent, Track 1/8 is pretty much always used for the trips to KDFW.

Dan Downs KCRP

The Advanced Route Editor in PFPX allows you to permanently exclude FIRs... FWIW.

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper