Oscar Linde Hey

Carenado Saab 340 thoughts?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Carenado certainly does very nice one engine prop planes, but Turboprops, well...

It will of course look great, but regarding love to system/avionics details I'd be not very optimistic.

I'm just an occasional X-Plane user, but if you really like the 340, I'd recommend flying the Leading Edge Sim 340 in X-Plane. There's also a new version for XP11 in development.

Mike

The C90GTX is actually quite nice, so they CAN do twin engine turboprops.. we'll have to see what they actually deliver with the Saab 340, before tearing it apart.. :happy:

It's pretty difficult to say since it hasn't been released, but my hunch is that it will look pretty and have limited system functions. It would be really nice if Carenado offered cargo versions of some of their planes like they did with the C208. I would love to haul some cargo in the 340, but I'm guessing they'll only release a pax model.

I'm in the same boat as mikealpha. I occasionally use XP11 and have the LES Saab 340. It's a great aircraft and I recommend anyone interested in serious Saab flying to check it out!

25 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The C90GTX is actually quite nice, so they CAN do twin engine turboprops.. we'll have to see what they actually deliver with the Saab 340, before tearing it apart.. :happy:

I'd agree to say their twin engine props are quite nice, I really like e.g. their Seminole. But Turboprops, no, not really. The C90GTX looks great, and the flight dynamics are quite convincing. But love to details regarding avionics and systems ? NO, not at all. Not their intention anyway.

In that regard, I think Saab 340 and Fokker 50 are far too much for them, it's a pity because it makes development of these planes unattractive for other developers. Carenado should continue without that "Turbo! :-). More love to details instead of high throughput.

Mike

I think the Saab 340 is a wonderful "not-so-old-aircraft". I flew once on it with American Eagle from Houston to Baton Rouge almost 20 years ago and enjoyed that flight very much. In my opinion Carenado is improving their aircraft releases lately and we should expect another decent and good release with the 340, as they did with the Do228, the Shrike S500 and the most recently with their wonderful TC 690B, among others. However, don't expect a PMDG-type systems simulation with Carenado aircraft, this has being said millions of times over here!.

The 340 has certainly been an overlooked aircraft in P3D (and FSX), but now we'll finally have one opportunity to grab it. Thanks Carenado!, and hopefully the release will come soon!.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

There was a very nice Saab 340 from Flight Factory Simulations about 10 years ago. I enjoyed it very much. Lost it when I transitioned to a new computer back then as FFS went away and I was unable to re-validate the license.  I had a very nice repaint for it in my university's livery. They (Indiana University) had a Saab 340 they used mostly for athletics teams.

If they have already created the B1900D and Dornier 228, they can do another turboprop: SAAb340 (and 2000?)

I think the make-or-break part of these regional turboprops is the problems Carenado has with their paint kit. If they want these regional turboprops to be successful products, they have to change that paint kit to be more user friendly. Otherwise we won't see many repaints.

They really don't seem to like to listen to their customer base when it comes to paint kits or fixes to existing products. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2017 at 0:45 PM, adf said:

It's pretty difficult to say since it hasn't been released, but my hunch is that it will look pretty and have limited system functions. It would be really nice if Carenado offered cargo versions of some of their planes like they did with the C208. I would love to haul some cargo in the 340, but I'm guessing they'll only release a pax model.

I'm in the same boat as mikealpha. I occasionally use XP11 and have the LES Saab 340. It's a great aircraft and I recommend anyone interested in serious Saab flying to check it out!

I emailed them about the Cargo model. It was a negative unless we can get enough people to get behind it and keep asking them about it.

Well it goes without saying that being Carenado it will be visually perfect as the screenshots released so far seem to confirm. Bearing in mind that Carenado have done a pretty good job on the Fokker 50 (leaving aside the FMC as always!), if they apply the same standards to the forthcoming Saab then we could be in for a pleasant treat with that too! As I like the 340, I purchased the VCol Saab in a sale just to have one, but not surprisingly I don't fly it very much however I for one am looking forward to the Carenado version which I will happily fly with the GTN as an alternative to any FMC they might provide. On the subject of commuter airliners I think they may have a Shorts 360 in the pipeline too!

Bill

On 10/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, edpatino said:

I think the Saab 340 is a wonderful "not-so-old-aircraft". I flew once on it with American Eagle from Houston to Baton Rouge almost 20 years ago and enjoyed that flight very much. In my opinion Carenado is improving their aircraft releases lately and we should expect another decent and good release with the 340, as they did with the Do228, the Shrike S500 and the most recently with their wonderful TC 690B, among others. However, don't expect a PMDG-type systems simulation with Carenado aircraft, this has being said millions of times over here!.

The 340 has certainly been an overlooked aircraft in P3D (and FSX), but now we'll finally have one opportunity to grab it. Thanks Carenado!, and hopefully the release will come soon!.

Cheers, Ed

I'm really looking forward to this aircraft. I flew one in the RW for a few years and almost 2000 hours almost 20 years ago. The company I flew for then operated it on everything from 11,000' of pavement in civilization to 4000' of gravel with a 1.17% slope in the arctic. Great pilots machine. I found the most challenging exercise in the sim was the V1 cut. It could be handful and more than a few failed the ride there. it was a satisfying aircraft to fly. I think Carenado will be fine with this creation.

Dave

On 20/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, dbw1 said:

I'm really looking forward to this aircraft.

Looks like release is imminent as the Saab is no longer present on the 'Incoming' page of the Carenado website.

Bill

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm done with Carenado....

How the F50 Universal FMC is worse than the 2014 B1900D, I dont know.  VNAV not even attempted and the soft approach to tell you that it's not modelled is a line in the... er,,, paperwork. "Only features of the FMC mentioined herein are modelled".   (ie Good luck if you were expecting features from 2014 in a plane that should probably have it)

Not even an option to enter advisory altitude.  Magenta line moving? Hold a straight course after being in ILS? I bought a GTN 750 rather than ask for a refund for the F50 as it is nice to fly otherwise. 

On the Saab... I was watching someone stream it today and it actually blew over to a nose wheel and wing tip on taxi... more than a few times.  All the usual issues and more.  He didn't seem to be enjoying it and i'll assume he wont fly it again.

I've went from looking forward to their new planes to now disliking them as a company, helped along by non supportive support.

No hope for the Shorts 360 now also.  Lessons learnt.

The streamer done a flight by flight comparison with the LES Saab 340 on XP - and there was no comparison to which was the better option.

Edited by macneil

4 hours ago, macneil said:

I'm done with Carenado....

How the F50 Universal FMC is worse than the 2014 B1900D, I dont know.  VNAV not even attempted and the soft approach to tell you that it's not modelled is a line in the... er,,, paperwork. "Only features of the FMC mentioined herein are modelled".   (ie Good luck if you were expecting features from 2014 in a plane that should probably have it)

Not even an option to enter advisory altitude.  Magenta line moving? Hold a straight course after being in ILS? I bought a GTN 750 rather than ask for a refund for the F50 as it is nice to fly otherwise. 

On the Saab... I was watching someone stream it today and it actually blew over to a nose wheel and wing tip on taxi... more than a few times.  All the usual issues and more.  He didn't seem to be enjoying it and i'll assume he wont fly it again.

I've went from looking forward to their new planes to now disliking them as a company, helped along by non supportive support.

No hope for the Shorts 360 now also.  Lessons learnt.

The streamer done a flight by flight comparison with the LES Saab 340 on XP - and there was no comparison to which was the better option.

I agree 100%

Does the new Saab 340 have the default GPS available?

Stan

Hi Guys,

I just bought the S340 today. Trying to find a pilots manual somewhere? is there one, and could someone direct me to it?

Thanks

There is no real Manual. nothing. Just the checklist and normal procedures etc. inside your Carenado folder within the simulator.

BTW: hopefully Carenado will strech their S340 once to a S2000, that would be nice.