Gypsy Pilot

It's Offical, Orbx for X-Plane 11

Recommended Posts

JV just announced his Roadmap for 2018 and Orbx is going to do XP-11 scenery along with a host of other sims.

If you have access to the Orbx Forum go read it and look at the slew of screenshots he posted.

Dale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good for them! XP11 is an amazing sim and growing exponentially. I will be the first in line to buy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoranM said:

OrbX has a very big future in X Plane.

LOL!

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to hearing and seeing more on the XP photoreal regions. :happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 2:40 AM, tgcbraun said:

Good for them! XP11 is an amazing sim and growing exponentially. I will be the first in line to buy! 

First, my question is purely out of a desire to understand the facts.   Have you seen numbers that show that XP11 is growing exponentially?   Where can I fined those numbers?  I love the sim and just wondering is the user base actually growing or has it been flat over the last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are curious, go to orbxdirect.com/forums/general discussions. You'll find the ORBX 2018 Road map provided by John himself as a pinned topic. There are 115 different preview screenshots of upcoming projects for different simulators, including X-plane.  Some of the best X-plane shots are towards the end. Not all of the airports will be port-overs.  Some may even be the basis for creating airports for ESP-based sims.  Also there will be regions, including of course the whole country of The Netherlands, which will be photoreal.  I am really interested to see how ORBX treats non-photoreal areas.

Cheers,

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tierborn said:

First, my question is purely out of a desire to understand the facts.   Have you seen numbers that show that XP11 is growing exponentially?   Where can I fined those numbers?  I love the sim and just wondering is the user base actually growing or has it been flat over the last year?

Of course it's difficult or impossible to find actual sales number, but there are many proxies all pointing in the same direction, e.g.:

.) Google Trends indicating XP gaining ground towards FSX: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q="x-plane" %2B "xplane" %2B "x plane",FSX %2B "flight simulator x" %2B "microsoft flight simulator"

.) Uploaded XP videos on Youtube in 10 months going from 23.900 to 60.300, more than double (I chose 1/Jan/16-1/Oct/16 vs 1/Jan/17-1/Oct/17 to make sure XP11 was not yet released in the first comparison period):

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2016&tbm=vid

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2017&tbm=vid

.) In the same 10 months periods, the pages of threads on the AVSIM XP forum have increased from 32 (2016) to 50 (2017)

.) In less than 9 months from Steam launch, XP11 has 997 reviews ("Very positive") vs 907 reviews ("On average") for XP10, available on Steam for more than 3 years.

Now each of these proxies has limited statistic meaning if taken alone, but since they are all pointing in the same direction with no ambiguity, they have indeed a statistical significance. And there are other proxies that can be found, for example Reddit threads, increased interest of P3D developers, etc.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing can beat Murmur's arguments !  He uses - factual data, evidences, not anecdotes !

After all, even Austin had to surrender and stop torquing..... :-)

 

Yes!  X-Plane is by far the most promising generic civil flight simulation platform, and yes developers from various fronts are moving into it for some good reason - wouldn't it be evident that X-Plane is the Civil Flight Simulator it already is, we wouldn't see them ineterested like they are now.... even if 50% of the use I give it is uninstalling .... but that's only my problem, who have turned into a fanatic ww2 fighter pilot!  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Deja Vu

Same here, every time orbX name falls, there is like a choir off hallelujahs. Let's not forget we have some very very talented developers already on board, who often work for free (I do not forget my occasional contribution to say thanks).

Names like AlpilotX, Tony, MisterX, Oscar Pilot, to name a few.

Also the gateway is getting populated, and Laminar has extended their legobricks to give more variety.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I've seen mentioned a lot is that people think ORBX and other big FS-oriented developers aren't needed or are welcome on X-Plane because of the large freeware scene. However, one thing I've learned from reading many posts here over the past year or so is that most don't want to actually generate their own orthos, follow complicated instructions to create overlays with W2XP and go through library-hell etc, but instead they would rather buy a nicely packaged and easy to use scenery that just works. Not everyone is technically inclined or wants to spend their time creating orthos, however the option is still there for those that want to (As it always has been on FSX/P3D as well)

One thing is certain, the base-level for what is considered a payware scenery has really increased over the past year and this is fantastic for us on X-Plane who are used to mixed-quality payware and the feeling that we are second-class citizens compared to FSX/P3D.

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

even if 50% of the use I give it is uninstalling

:cool: We need a new award for flight simulation products, "Survived on Jose's Hard Drive for more than a week"

Regarding the increased popularity of X-Plane, I think it's fairly obvious just by visiting Facebook groups, Youtube, and non-biased forums such as Reddit.

 

  • Upvote 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t buy their sceneries anyway, because I don’t have a credit card! ;-) 

i think it’s definitely not a bad thing that they’re coming to X-Plane. It’ll help the community to grow, and will make XP11 more attractive for a certain clientele. And with XP11‘s superior lighting system and smooth performance, we‘ll surely see some very nice and detail airfields and airports. Personally, I’m super happy with all the beautiful freeware and Ortho4XP. Good times ahead for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Murmur said:

Of course it's difficult or impossible to find actual sales number, but there are many proxies all pointing in the same direction, e.g.:

.) Google Trends indicating XP gaining ground towards FSX: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q="x-plane" %2B "xplane" %2B "x plane",FSX %2B "flight simulator x" %2B "microsoft flight simulator"

.) Uploaded XP videos on Youtube in 10 months going from 23.900 to 60.300, more than double (I chose 1/Jan/16-1/Oct/16 vs 1/Jan/17-1/Oct/17 to make sure XP11 was not yet released in the first comparison period):

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2016&tbm=vid

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2017&tbm=vid

.) In the same 10 months periods, the pages of threads on the AVSIM XP forum have increased from 32 (2016) to 50 (2017)

.) In less than 9 months from Steam launch, XP11 has 997 reviews ("Very positive") vs 907 reviews ("On average") for XP10, available on Steam for more than 3 years.

Now each of these proxies has limited statistic meaning if taken alone, but since they are all pointing in the same direction with no ambiguity, they have indeed a statistical significance. And there are other proxies that can be found, for example Reddit threads, increased interest of P3D developers, etc.

thank you for the links, however, its really about the number of copies sold and that appears to be flat based on your info - If i am reading the "interest chart" correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony,I did not say that payware developers are not welcome, but that we already have talented people on board (like yourself). I just don't believe the gospel that orbX will suddenly solve all problems people have with the current state, and I don't believe the hype every and each time they post sth related to X-plane. They will find it hard to compete with the likes of yourself and midterm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now