Gypsy Pilot

It's Offical, Orbx for X-Plane 11

JV just announced his Roadmap for 2018 and Orbx is going to do XP-11 scenery along with a host of other sims.

If you have access to the Orbx Forum go read it and look at the slew of screenshots he posted.

Dale

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good for them! XP11 is an amazing sim and growing exponentially. I will be the first in line to buy! 

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

OrbX has a very big future in X Plane.

LOL!

• Upvote 4

I look forward to hearing and seeing more on the XP photoreal regions. :happy:

On 12/21/2017 at 2:40 AM, tgcbraun said:

Good for them! XP11 is an amazing sim and growing exponentially. I will be the first in line to buy! 

First, my question is purely out of a desire to understand the facts.   Have you seen numbers that show that XP11 is growing exponentially?   Where can I fined those numbers?  I love the sim and just wondering is the user base actually growing or has it been flat over the last year?

If you are curious, go to orbxdirect.com/forums/general discussions. You'll find the ORBX 2018 Road map provided by John himself as a pinned topic. There are 115 different preview screenshots of upcoming projects for different simulators, including X-plane.  Some of the best X-plane shots are towards the end. Not all of the airports will be port-overs.  Some may even be the basis for creating airports for ESP-based sims.  Also there will be regions, including of course the whole country of The Netherlands, which will be photoreal.  I am really interested to see how ORBX treats non-photoreal areas.

Cheers,

Tom

2 hours ago, Tierborn said:

First, my question is purely out of a desire to understand the facts.   Have you seen numbers that show that XP11 is growing exponentially?   Where can I fined those numbers?  I love the sim and just wondering is the user base actually growing or has it been flat over the last year?

Of course it's difficult or impossible to find actual sales number, but there are many proxies all pointing in the same direction, e.g.:

.) Google Trends indicating XP gaining ground towards FSX: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q="x-plane" %2B "xplane" %2B "x plane",FSX %2B "flight simulator x" %2B "microsoft flight simulator"

.) Uploaded XP videos on Youtube in 10 months going from 23.900 to 60.300, more than double (I chose 1/Jan/16-1/Oct/16 vs 1/Jan/17-1/Oct/17 to make sure XP11 was not yet released in the first comparison period):

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2016&tbm=vid

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2017&tbm=vid

.) In the same 10 months periods, the pages of threads on the AVSIM XP forum have increased from 32 (2016) to 50 (2017)

.) In less than 9 months from Steam launch, XP11 has 997 reviews ("Very positive") vs 907 reviews ("On average") for XP10, available on Steam for more than 3 years.

Now each of these proxies has limited statistic meaning if taken alone, but since they are all pointing in the same direction with no ambiguity, they have indeed a statistical significance. And there are other proxies that can be found, for example Reddit threads, increased interest of P3D developers, etc.

• Upvote 4

Nothing can beat Murmur's arguments !  He uses - factual data, evidences, not anecdotes !

After all, even Austin had to surrender and stop torquing..... :-)

Yes!  X-Plane is by far the most promising generic civil flight simulation platform, and yes developers from various fronts are moving into it for some good reason - wouldn't it be evident that X-Plane is the Civil Flight Simulator it already is, we wouldn't see them ineterested like they are now.... even if 50% of the use I give it is uninstalling .... but that's only my problem, who have turned into a fanatic ww2 fighter pilot!  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Deja Vu

Same here, every time orbX name falls, there is like a choir off hallelujahs. Let's not forget we have some very very talented developers already on board, who often work for free (I do not forget my occasional contribution to say thanks).

Names like AlpilotX, Tony, MisterX, Oscar Pilot, to name a few.

Also the gateway is getting populated, and Laminar has extended their legobricks to give more variety.

• Upvote 4

One thing I've seen mentioned a lot is that people think ORBX and other big FS-oriented developers aren't needed or are welcome on X-Plane because of the large freeware scene. However, one thing I've learned from reading many posts here over the past year or so is that most don't want to actually generate their own orthos, follow complicated instructions to create overlays with W2XP and go through library-hell etc, but instead they would rather buy a nicely packaged and easy to use scenery that just works. Not everyone is technically inclined or wants to spend their time creating orthos, however the option is still there for those that want to (As it always has been on FSX/P3D as well)

One thing is certain, the base-level for what is considered a payware scenery has really increased over the past year and this is fantastic for us on X-Plane who are used to mixed-quality payware and the feeling that we are second-class citizens compared to FSX/P3D.

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

even if 50% of the use I give it is uninstalling

:cool: We need a new award for flight simulation products, "Survived on Jose's Hard Drive for more than a week"

Regarding the increased popularity of X-Plane, I think it's fairly obvious just by visiting Facebook groups, Youtube, and non-biased forums such as Reddit.

• Upvote 11

I can’t buy their sceneries anyway, because I don’t have a credit card! ;-) 

i think it’s definitely not a bad thing that they’re coming to X-Plane. It’ll help the community to grow, and will make XP11 more attractive for a certain clientele. And with XP11‘s superior lighting system and smooth performance, we‘ll surely see some very nice and detail airfields and airports. Personally, I’m super happy with all the beautiful freeware and Ortho4XP. Good times ahead for sure!

12 hours ago, Murmur said:

Of course it's difficult or impossible to find actual sales number, but there are many proxies all pointing in the same direction, e.g.:

.) Google Trends indicating XP gaining ground towards FSX: https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q="x-plane" %2B "xplane" %2B "x plane",FSX %2B "flight simulator x" %2B "microsoft flight simulator"

.) Uploaded XP videos on Youtube in 10 months going from 23.900 to 60.300, more than double (I chose 1/Jan/16-1/Oct/16 vs 1/Jan/17-1/Oct/17 to make sure XP11 was not yet released in the first comparison period):

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2016%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2016&tbm=vid

https://www.google.it/search?q="x-plane"&hl=en&biw=1504&bih=807&source=lnt&tbs=srcf%3AH4sIAAAAAAAAANOuzC8tKU1K1UvOz1Wr0C3IScxL1csvSlcry8xNzQeLFpcWpBYlFhXll-slJ6oVFyQmo6oGsQEe33z6RwAAAA%2Ccdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A1%2F1%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A10%2F1%2F2017&tbm=vid

.) In the same 10 months periods, the pages of threads on the AVSIM XP forum have increased from 32 (2016) to 50 (2017)

.) In less than 9 months from Steam launch, XP11 has 997 reviews ("Very positive") vs 907 reviews ("On average") for XP10, available on Steam for more than 3 years.

Now each of these proxies has limited statistic meaning if taken alone, but since they are all pointing in the same direction with no ambiguity, they have indeed a statistical significance. And there are other proxies that can be found, for example Reddit threads, increased interest of P3D developers, etc.

thank you for the links, however, its really about the number of copies sold and that appears to be flat based on your info - If i am reading the "interest chart" correctly.

Tony,I did not say that payware developers are not welcome, but that we already have talented people on board (like yourself). I just don't believe the gospel that orbX will suddenly solve all problems people have with the current state, and I don't believe the hype every and each time they post sth related to X-plane. They will find it hard to compete with the likes of yourself and midterm.

4 minutes ago, jh71 said:

Tony,I did not say that payware developers are not welcome, but that we already have talented people on board (like yourself). I just don't believe the gospel that orbX will suddenly solve all problems people have with the current state, and I don't believe the hype every and each time they post sth related to X-plane. They will find it hard to compete with the likes of yourself and midterm.

I‘m pretty sure that it’ll bring new people to the XP community. People that want hassle free install and are willing to pay for that. And I think, that can only be a positive thing for XP‘s popularity and further development. People like you (and me) are perfectly happy with the stuff like Ortho4XP, HD Mesh v4, etc. But to each their own, right? ;-)

29 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

IAnd I think, that can only be a positive thing for XP‘s popularity and further development. 

Let us agree to disagree, I am afraid that it will hamper further independent development. X-Plane improvements came mostly from the names I quoted. But I agree some people like the hassle free from payware products, and it will attract new customer for Laminar. But I doubt the numbers: see my next point.

Looking back, I just can not explain to myself why I invested hundreds of Euros in FSX add ons (which on its own was like 50€ at the time?). Some people invested a multitude of that. And that is without all hardware upgrades needed to run the sims properly. Those people will be hard pushed to leave their setup behind for something completely new.

12 minutes ago, jh71 said:

Let us agree to disagree, I am afraid that it will hamper further independent development. X-Plane improvements came mostly from the names I quoted. But I agree some people like the hassle free from payware products, and it will attract new customer for Laminar. But I doubt the numbers: see my next point.

Looking back, I just can not explain to myself why I invested hundreds of Euros in FSX add ons (which on its own was like 50€ at the time?). Some people invested a multitude of that. And that is without all hardware upgrades needed to run the sims properly. Those people will be hard pushed to leave their setup behind for something completely new.

Good point. I’ve invested in FS9, in FSX, I could use most of the FSX stuff in P3Dv3, which is a sim I also like. But I won’t invest into P3Dv4. All this upgrade fees for the sceneries are too much for me. So, if I spend money nowadays, I mostly invest into XP11, the sim platform that has the most potential in my opinion. 

What I don’t understand, is, why still a lot of people rather buy sims like FSW or Aerofly (and others) before they get themselves XP. There is still a barrier when it comes to the „unknown“ XP world. And I’m pretty confident, that well known names like ORBX will lower that barrier significantally. And for XP as a platform, this can only have a positive effect. 

But you’re right. Let’s never forget about all these talented people that made XP what it is today, with all their effort and time they’ve put into it (and hopefull continue to do so). 

6 minutes ago, Mik75 said:

What I don’t understand, is, why still a lot of people rather buy sims like FSW or Aerofly (and others) before they get themselves XP.

I'm guessing the price? I paid $20 for FSW I think, and Aerofly FS wasn't that expensive either. They're not bad for impulse buys at the moment. Whilst X-Plane is nowhere near the price of P3D, it's still quite high and also involves an investment in time and learning to use, find addons etc.

7 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I'm guessing the price? I paid $20 for FSW I think, and Aerofly FS wasn't that expensive either. They're not bad for impulse buys at the moment. Whilst X-Plane is nowhere near the price of P3D, it's still quite high and also involves an investment in time and learning to use, find addons etc.

And at least two of your (very good) points will be adressed when the developer with the 4 big letters will finally come to the XP world. 

I‘ve started with XP9, when the sim still felt like a nerd only thing (the Linux of flight sims somehow :-) ), and certainly we’ve come. long way. 2018 will be ab exciting year, that’s for sure. 

33 minutes ago, tonywob said:

It's a complete myth that the price of the base flight sim is a major factor in determining the market. First of all, a large percentage of users don't pay the so-called retail price, either due to flash sales or purchasing a sim version that is is obviously cheaper but in no way limited in features.

What controls purchasing is the quality of add-on scenery, aircraft and utilities. The base sims these days are just a bunless slab of ground beef and the add-ons are the bun, the fries and the condiments. 

And for users with legacy hardware, the choices are much more limited. Most are stuck with FSX-SE until they can upgrade their computer. They have to be content in the interim with a strict diet of flight sim bread and water.

Well for me and I guess for users on P3D/FSX, if AFS or FSW were priced at $60 I wouldn't have bothered either. Considering both these sims have limited addon scenery etc, I'd say having a low price has worked in their favour. Also both sims are pretty good out of the box, AFS having decent ortho scenery and airports, and FSW having FTX Global. I was able to jump into both sims without having to purchase any addons or faff about with configuration files etc..

• Upvote 1

I personally think that in the flight sim market, XP has always been (and still is) a bit overpriced.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, I don’t think so. The base sim is very usable out of the box, and looks great. No need for „Global“ or regional scenery addons. It looks even better with some free- and donationware. And the airport sceneries and the high end addons are cheaper (or have the same price) than the addons for the ESP based sims. Plus, you get decent default aircraft, a good GNS and G1000 simulation with updatable navdata. 

2 hours ago, Tierborn said:

thank you for the links, however, its really about the number of copies sold and that appears to be flat based on your info - If i am reading the "interest chart" correctly.

Google trends results are relative to the total Google searches, they are not an absolute number

In any case, apart from that, I showed that in one year:

.) the number of uploaded YT videos has increased more than 150%

.) the number of threads on AVSIM (historically more centered around FSX/P3D) has increased more than 50%

.) XP11 received more Steam reviews in 9 months, than XP10 in 3 years.

Now, short of showing you hard sales number, I don't think there's much more I can do if you think that X-Plane sales are flat.

• Upvote 3