Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

REX Sky Force Very First look

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Should take the time to post an image of my FltPlan.com flight plan for today's flight as it includes winds aloft. Then images of my GPS's indication of the winds it was experiencing. FSGRW was spot on with departure and destination weather, including clouds, wind, and baro pressure, and nailed the FltPlan.com winds aloft along the whole route from Asheville to Montgomery, to Gulfport, to New Orleans. I'd be wasting my time looking for more accuracy. Rather be logging hours aloft.

Based on a PM request, here you go... Note that my GTN screen orientation is North Up.

Spoiler

NewYearWaloft%283%29.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 minutes ago, aamontoy said:

Im sorry for all the haters

Haters ? really. You posted the screen shot. It was REX that stated their Skyforce was ground breaking. I don't see anything ground breaking in your shot. When,someone posts " Oh my god!!!! this new weather addon is amazing!!!" , then it might get my attention. Your screen shot did not. Appreciate you posting it, but I will not lie to you, and say it is "Groundbreaking". That would be a lie.

• Upvote 8

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I purchased it. Still makes the weather looks cartoon-ish. 

They really hyped this one, like they did everything else.

This is probably my last purchase from REX. 

• Upvote 9

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

4 minutes ago, aamontoy said:

Im sorry for all the haters out there but this shot right here is money for me...here it is a FL300 down in southamerica, might as well add this is with P3dv3, PTA and OPUS as weather engine... right on the spot...plus the night time flying is a whole different beast now!

http://FL30.jpg

Yes this looks nice, but rex essential looks nice too. There is no new cloud TYPES - its the same cumulus and cirrus we already have from years ago.

Show us a vid or even a screen shot of some altostratus, cirrocumulus, or lenticular clouds, then you have my attention.

Not a hater, just am looking for something that I don't already have.

• Upvote 3

I have not had much time to fully test SF3D but I did do a circle in the FSL A320 out of KBWI and went out about 20 miles and came back to land.  First impression is the clouds & atmosphere look great!  I did experience the sudden WX change and it was quite dramatic, going from a near overcast sky to fair WX clouds.  I then got a rapid change to soupy WX with snow and low visibility on the return which should not have been the case but it did look good!  I was a bit surprised by the sudden changes as I thought the WX was supposed to smoothed out with this product. I just tried a second test using ASP4 (ASCA turned off) along with SkyForce3D and the result was much better with no visible sudden changes occurring and the overcast was the best I have ever seen.  Performance was also great for a fully overcast sky with precip compared to what I am used to.  My thoughts at the moment are that the WX engine needs some tweaking and it sounds like there will be another product (Weather Force) in order to get the WX smoothing but that is not ready to be released.  That being said, I am intrigued by the results I had using the HiFI ASP4 WX engine and Skyforce.  This could be the winning combo for the moment but I will need to do some more flights. 

• Upvote 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I so very much want to like the weather engine as there seem to be things you get with it that you can't if you use other engines, but the abrupt weather changes are killing it for me. I'll stick it out for a week or two, but I suspect I'll be going back to ASP4 shortly. Who knows, maybe I won't miss anything.

12 minutes ago, Sticky said:

in ONE PICTURE on a basic mostly cloudy today?? 

Like I have been saying for a few days - the manual is full of hype about how the sky will be totally transformed with skyforce and its arsenal of cloud types - anybody saying that cumulus, stratus, and cirrus formations is new or ground breaking is wrong. So far from what I have seen this is essential with some texture bugs fixed and a few cumulus & cirrus textures added. Until we see some new cloud types, there is nothing really ground breaking here.

2 minutes ago, Flic1 said:

I have not had much time to fully test SF3D but I did do a circle in the A320 out of KBWI and went out about 20 miles and came back to land.  First impression is the cloudsatmosphere look great!  I did experience the sudden WX change and it was quite dramatic, going from a near overcast sky to fair WX clouds.  I then got a rapid change to soupy WX with snow and low visibility on the return which should not have been the case but it did look good!  I was a bit surprised by the sudden changes as I thought the WX was supposed to smoothed out. I just tried a second test using ASP4 (ASCA turned off) along with SkyForce3D and the result was much better with no visible sudden changes occurring and the overcast was the best I have ever seen.  My thoughts at the moment are that the WX engine needs some tweaking and it sounds like there will be another product (Weather Force) in order to get the WX smoothing but that is not ready to be released.  That being said, I am intrigued by the results I had using the HiFI ASP4 WX engine and Skyforce.  This could be the winning combo for the moment but I will need to do some more flights. 

Yup I don’t own asp4 so I can’t evaluate that combo but my experience with opus is similar to yours...so I disabled the Rex weather engine and good to go...

3 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

How on earth do you expect a random screenshot to do that justice??

Then what is the point of posting one then ? Calm down, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

• Upvote 2

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Like Eric above, I've been trying SF3D + AC16. That's Active sky as the engine and REX as the cloud generator.

I think it looks really nice. The dramatic towering cumulus and severe weather stuff is something I've not seen, being winter time. I guess I could gen up some weather, but that'll be later.

The real-time sync mode is pretty cool. Generating conditions based on meteorologic stuff. It seems to work. I does blink out and start over when the update timer goes off. 

On one hand, I'm not happy with the weather generator. It's not very good. On the other hand, I'm pretty happy with the clouds and sky/moon/sun textures.

So far, a lukewarm experience for me: not pumped, and not unhappy. I'll give it some more time tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

29 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

I purchased it. Still makes the weather looks cartoon-ish. 

Have you tried the lowest resolution clouds?
They can often look better.

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Rubbish!!! Videos are much better, and I do own all of REX products, and don't think for a minute I am a hater. If REX had posted a pre sale video,then people sitting on the fence could make a better informed decision. Screen shots do nothing.

Edited by vgbaron
removed quoted insulting post
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, RancidViper said:

Oh my god you people are hilarious! You see nothing ground breaking in the screenshot?? Are you listening to yourself??? It's a SCREENSHOT!

We're talking about real world weather!!! How on earth do you expect a random screenshot to do that justice??

Most complaining here have not even bought the product, just sitting around talking sh*t about something they have clue about.

Maybe buy the product, go on a few flights first. Most days when I go out of my house I don't see lenticular clouds or cloud streets. They are the pretty standard cumulus and cirrus.

Obviously the weather conditions need to be relevant first, seems like some kindergarten students in here can't seem to get their heads around that.

+1000! Well said. 

45 minutes ago, pracines said:

Like I have been saying for a few days - the manual is full of hype about how the sky will be totally transformed with skyforce and its arsenal of cloud types - anybody saying that cumulus, stratus, and cirrus formations is new or ground breaking is wrong. So far from what I have seen this is essential with some texture bugs fixed and a few cumulus & cirrus textures added. Until we see some new cloud types, there is nothing really ground breaking here.

*SIGH* - Here we go again... Read the comment from @RancidViper again.

42 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Then what is the point of posting one then ? Calm down, no need to get your knickers in a knot.

No-one is getting any knickers in any bunch!!! But the discussion in here so so biased, that some counter-balance is needed!

The thing, which is most annoying is that no one (or very few) seems to remain objective. They just rant on and follow the rest of the 'herd'. There's a regular lynch-atmosphere in here, and God have mercy on the person, who's going against it... I normally keep myself out of these ... well, let's call them "debates"... but in this case, I felt someone or something needed to be said. The attitude in here is so hostile and offensive, that it's just sad to witness...

Well, at least I suddenly understand, why these threads gets shut down.

• Upvote 11

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

34 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Rubbish!!! Videos are much better, and I do own all of REX products, and don't think for a minute I am a hater. If REX had posted a pre sale video,then people sitting on the fence could make a better informed decision. Screen shots do nothing.

They did post a video...

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda