Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Eastern Caribbean

For the scenery collectors among you, there is also the freeware Dominica X by Zev Richards (now Richer Simulations) which I can confirm works fine in P3D v4:

Dominica X by Zev Richards
Photoreal scenery of the island of Dominica, and includes an improved version of Jean Louis Valladier's TDPD.  Available at AVSIM here.

Installation is quite straightforward: I pointed the installer to a temporary folder on my desktop; there then will be one folder that needs to be moved to wherever you keep your addon sceneries, and one BGL airport altitude file that needs to go to P3D's \scenery\world\scenery folder (I'm sure most of us have seen these before). Finally, add the scenery to P3D's scenery library.

20 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Actually, this might be one for Roman. As I recall the correct title was important if you were doing aliases. But since JoinFS and it's Substitution feature it probably don't mean a thing anymore. Roman?

The best way is to have matching Title="blah blah" , this is the default search parameter used by JoinFS & native MP. Mike had a query about this back in January in the JoinFS forum .. Versions have changed and I don't think that reply is completely valid anymore. (Mike was on track 100%)
Take a look at the following text from the models.txt from JoinFS - 

VS F9F51 26|Grumman|F9F-5 Panther|VF-192 208B, BuNo 125485, USS Oriskany, ca 1955|Fighter|1|
TITLE | UI MANUFACTURER | UI TYPE | UI VARIATION | ROLE (not UI TYPEROLE, IT IS GENERATED BY JOINFS !!) | MAGIC NUMBER (NO CLUE)
Search priorities -
SEARCH #1 | SEARCH #2 | SEARCH #3 | SEARCH #4 | Probably #5 | No Clue

Here a few other entries that just make you want to go HMMMM? (Lots more where these came from)
MJC8Q400_SAS|Bombardier|MJC-8 Q400|Scandinavian Airlines|SingleProp|0|  <-- not single prop, magic number ?
BuNo37216|Lockheed|PV-2|BuNo37216 Navy|SingleProp|12|  <-- not single prop, magic number ?
Learjet 35A N925DM|Gates|Learjet 35A RDR/GNS|N925DM|Fighter|2| <-- It was a fighter back in the day for "Joe Public", magic number ?

As you can see the lookup data that Join FS picks up is not always valid, so with that in mind it best to make sure the "Title=" (priority #1 search) matches what was put on the spreadsheet by temporarily modifying the aircraft.cfg. Jot down what you have changed for the flight so you can change it back. ex..

[fltsim.##]
title=RealAir Lancair Legacy V2 C-BERT

becomes, due to the sheet entry -

[fltsim.##]
title=Lancair Legacy V2 C-BERT
//title=RealAir Lancair Legacy V2 C-BERT

EDIT -  A alternate way is to just make a new [fltsim.##] section with copied data from the original and replace the title (and fltsim.##) with the new one.. Either way of doing it has its own sets of advantages and drawbacks.

My old program - "Multiplayer Alias Tool v1.0" was/is a very good tool for FSX, it will not work anymore for P3Dv3+ because of the addon.xml malarky. It actually kept track of the mods I made to match the spreadsheet. In the spoiler below is a list of titles i have to go back and change when bored, rainy day, or something. At least I have a record.

!OK-(14)     [comanche pa24-250]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA24_250_Comanche\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(33)     [Kodiak Passenger Blue]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Kodiak\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(0)     [Carenado F406 Caravan II G-TURF]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\F1_Cessna_441\Aircraft.cfg
\Aircraft.cfg
!OK-(10)     [C182 Civil Air Patrol]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C182\aircraft.cfg
OK-(1)     [FSD Porter ZH-ISB on Wheels]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PC-6C_H2\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(5)     [Auster J1 Autocrat VH-KBK]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Auster J1 Autocrat\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(4)     [C185F SKYWAGON VH-SBU]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C185F\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(10)     [BirdDog O1-F PE]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\SibWings_Cessna_BirdDog_F\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(11)     [P-51D 'Miss Velma2']      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoP3_P51D\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(5)     [Supermarine Spitfire EN398 GS]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoP3_Spitfire\Aircraft.cfg
!OK-(1)     [Carenado C90 GTX]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C90_GTX_King_Air\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(3)     [P-51D civ '413903']      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\WoP3_P51D\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(9)     [F1_Kingair_B200-Luftambulansetjenesten LN-LTG]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\F1_Kingair B200\Aircraft.cfg
!OK-(1)     [RealAir Beech Duke V2 S5CEA]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke B60 V2\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(1)     [RealAir Beech Duke Turbine V2 N626N Winglets Ventral]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(5)     [Carenado PA34 SENECA V PR-MCM]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Piper PA34 Seneca II\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(4)     [Alabeo PA44 Seminole N806AM]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Piper Seminole\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(7)     [Carenado 500S TC Aero Commander N120ET]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado Aero_Commander_500S\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(8)     [Carenado 500S TC Aero Commander N15344]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado Aero_Commander_500S\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(9)     [Bell 206B Paint10]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Rotorcraft\Bell206B\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(1)     [C90 GTX GTN]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C90_GTX_King_Air\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(1)     [RealAir Beech Duke Turbine V2 HK-4628-G Winglets Ventral]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2\aircraft.cfg
!OK-(4)     [RealAir Beech Duke Turbine V2 N710DS Winglets]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\RealAir Duke Turbine V2\aircraft.cfg
OK-(3)     [Piper Pa-28-180 Cherokee N832PW]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_Piper_PA28_180_Cherokee\aircraft.cfg
MS 737-800 & Carenado Premier 1 #4 
OK-(0 | SND)     [Ron]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\aircraft.cfg
OK-(6 | SND)     [Boeing 737-890NGX Alaska Airlines (Lei) Winglets]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\aircraft.cfg
OK-(8 | SND)     [Boeing 737-890(WL) Alaska Airlines 'New Livery' N563AS]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\aircraft.cfg
OK-(11 | SND)     [PMDG P-8A Poseidon]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\B737_800\aircraft.cfg
OK-(4 | SND)     [EMB505 Phenom 300 C-BERT GTN]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado 390_Premier_IA_LITE\aircraft.cfg
OK-(10 | SND)     [C185F Skywagon Tundra Alaska Adventures N1852AK]      G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Carenado C185F Tundra\aircraft.cfg

BTW - I will not be able to make today (or tomorrows) flight. Best friend in town and she makes the schedule of activities.. :wub:

Edited by spokes2112
added "alternate" way

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thank you Roman...I think! :blink:

Activities eh? Well you be careful out there, y'hear?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Nick, thanks for the suggestion. With delight, I'll join you in Dominica at 42ft ... with our JoinFS setting: "Elevation Correction" ticked "on".

(Those who want to use both Paul Wheeler's Vol 4 scenery and Zev Richards' Dominica X will want to go into the "PWS Vol 4" scenery folder and disable Wheeler's TDPD scenery files. Say by appending the suffix ".OFF" as in "TDPD_ADE_PW.BGL.OFF", "TDPD_ADE_PW_CVX.BGL.OFF", or "tdpdsp.bgl.OFF" and also go into P3D's Scenery\World\Scenery folder and disable Wheeler's altitude adjustment to "TDPD_ADE_PW_ALT.BGL.OFF". )

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Thank you Roman...I think! :blink:

Activities eh? Well you be careful out there, y'hear?

Ron,

I think that was acTIVities, if you know what I mean...and for sure, be careful out there, Roman!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

A flight without a bit of formation is a flight on your own. I did my best to irritate Jeff with 'Traffic traffic' only to learn he doesn't have a GTN in the KA. :huh:

formi1.jpg

formi2.jpg

On 3/5/2018 at 5:49 PM, Ron Attwood said:

Yeah. That's not going tp happen is it? I DID get it into St. Barts though, but it wasn't pretty!

Ha Ha!

On current Caribbean Trek I am at Saint Maartens and have taken some passes at St Barts in the Grand Caravan.  Landed successfully on the first attempt but when rolling out on the runway ran into a scenery conflict.  Quite strange.  I ended up with a second runway, which did not appear until well after touchdown, and after rolling to a stop the runway I landed on was perhaps 30 ft of elevation above whatever the other runway was.  Straightened out the scenery conflict and have made three additional attempts, all requiring go around.  Seems you have to know the good approach altitude, the point to start final descent, and the descent rate.  At 80 knots the sloping runway comes up really fast.

Your planned circuit appears to be some 400 nm south of St Maartens.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

35 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Ha Ha!

On current Caribbean Trek I am at Saint Maartens and have taken some passes at St Barts in the Grand Caravan.  Landed successfully on the first attempt but when rolling out on the runway ran into a scenery conflict.  Quite strange.  I ended up with a second runway, which did not appear until well after touchdown, and after rolling to a stop the runway I landed on was perhaps 30 ft of elevation above whatever the other runway was.  Straightened out the scenery conflict and have made three additional attempts, all requiring go around.  Seems you have to know the good approach altitude, the point to start final descent, and the descent rate.  At 80 knots the sloping runway comes up really fast.

Your planned circuit appears to be some 400 nm south of St Maartens.

Frank, do you have the FlyTampa St Maarten scenery?

With the P3D patches applied, it should work nicely.

As for the R10 approach... 1500 feet, full gear/flaps/brakes whatever you've got to slow down.  Wait until runway is clearly in sight, cut throttle and head down..

Full reverse upon landing.  :happy:

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Frank, do you have the FlyTampa St Maarten scenery?

No. I have a couple of freeware sceneries.  I am using a Caribbean scenery, author is Toni Agramont.  It is ok.  Builds on the FSX default scenery with I believe some photo-real for the islands; some additional airport buildings; plus some static but colorful vehicles, boats, and ships.  I have tried I believe three add ons and I like this one above the others.  Not here often enough justify a purchase.

The Saint Barths scenery I am using is the 2011 Marc-Henri Guitteny scenery. It is quite good.   I had conflicts with the other two I tried, per my post above.

The St Barth's landing is challenging in the turbo prop due to the inherent delay.  You are likely correct.  Start descent from a higher point. Issue then is speed.  The Grand Caravan is difficult to slow with increasing descent rate/angle and the runway really rushes up. With some experience after trials it will likely seem easy afterwards! LOL!

Researching other airport sceneries available for the area.  The arial island circuit I flew from PP showed some interesting airport destinations. Have to plan some into my return to PR, and in the meantime look for sceneries that contain them.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 3/14/2018 at 8:56 AM, somiller said:

Mike,

Thanks for the research on all the Caribbean freeware!

From the St. Kitts readme.txt: "For this scenery to be fully functional, the scenery package from Striking Software: PW Sceneries – Volume 5 The Leeward Islands must be installed. Visit: http://www.strikingsoftware.com/downloads.shtml"

Tried this address, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Will NOT having the Leeward Islands scenery cause problems with St. Kitts install?

Looks like you guys had a fun flight planned.  I came upon this thread while searching for a copy of "Striking Software: PW Sceneries – Volume 5 The Leeward Islands".  But as mentioned above their website seems to be gone and along with it their downloads.  I was wondering if anyone knew of another source?  Were the files archived anywhere?  Trying to get St. Kitts installed correctly.

Frank Safranek - Alphasim/Virtavia Paint Crew

m4fs_banner.jpg

1 hour ago, fsafranek said:

Looks like you guys had a fun flight planned.  I came upon this thread while searching for a copy of "Striking Software: PW Sceneries – Volume 5 The Leeward Islands".  But as mentioned above their website seems to be gone and along with it their downloads.  I was wondering if anyone knew of another source?  Were the files archived anywhere?  Trying to get St. Kitts installed correctly.

Frank, check your AVSIM messages.

• Upvote 2

The scenery of TNCE give me a crazy, nervous... the stupid default runway still present and the "new scenery" not appear runway, appron, etc. Im really not know what i have to do for this scenery operates normaly on FSX STEAM.

I have the Striking Software somewhere if anyone is still looking for it. Send me a PM. I may not respond for a few days at a time

Gord

Carenado PC12, paint by yours truly. This and many others available on AVSIM library or on Mediafire in my sig.

Sorry about the blatant advertising but a man's got to live. ***

***Paints are free of course. Just my little joke 🙂