Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Repainting

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

depending on the position of the light switches

Funny you should mention that.  I am wondering if the three textures in Common are only overlays for another or an underlying texture that might be hard coded somewhere.  These three are comprised only of labels.  Heck, I took out the 8 on two of them and replaced it with a D on the other and an 8 still shows.

Found another 800B faceplate in the Gauges 3 dds, but no label or text there.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Funny you should mention that.  I am wondering if the three textures in Common are only overlays for another or an underlying texture that might be hard coded somewhere.  These three are comprised only of labels.  Heck, I took out the 8 on two of them and replaced it with a D on the other and an 8 still shows.

Found another 800B faceplate in the Gauges 3 dds, but no label or text there.

Figured it out... there is also an Alpha Channel overlay to be edited...

Learning as I go.

In DXTBmp, open up the alpha channel in one of the Wintexts files and you'll see that the 8008 is still there.

Edit.. and my editor does not appear to be up the task, when I edit the alpha channel and save, the text becomes fuzzy.. I'll wait for the experts  :blush:

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

19 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

In DXTBmp, open up the alpha channel in one of the Wintexts files and you'll see that the 8008 is still there.

19 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Figured it out... there is also an Alpha Channel overlay to be edited...

Learning as I go.

Congrats! That (Alpha channel) workflow is not yet in my experience curve. For repaints I export the Alpha and then refresh it after bringing back in the completed work, but have not learned to edit the Alpha.  Any way to address Alpha in PS w/plug in?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Open the offending texture in DXT. In the top right hand corner you'll see the alpha channel. There's a button to export said alpha channel as a .bmp. Open the .bmp in PS and scribble on it. Close the scribbled on .bmp and save when asked. Go back to DXT and RELOAD after editing. Now reload the offending texture and in that same top right corner IMPORT alpha channel. Navigate to where you saved the exported one. With me so far? Make sure the alpha and the texture are up the same way. You'll get a dire warning, do not be afraid.

If that helps, you're a better man than I Gunga Din

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

18 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Open the offending texture in DXT. In the top right hand corner you'll see the alpha channel. There's a button to export said alpha channel as a .bmp. Open the .bmp in PS and scribble on it. Close the scribbled on .bmp and save when asked. Go back to DXT and RELOAD after editing. Now reload the offending texture and in that same top right corner IMPORT alpha channel. Navigate to where you saved the exported one. With me so far? Make sure the alpha and the texture are up the same way. You'll get a dire warning, do not be afraid.

If that helps, you're a better man than I Gunga Din

Ron to the rescue!  Now we are cooking!

I was sending the alpha channel to the editor and reloading it... that got me fuzzy textures.

Exporting the alpha channel as bmp, editing it, and importing it again, gives me a clear texture with 800B, as intended.

I've only done this with the wintexts file, not the night versions, but the 800B persists regardless of lighting.. never knew I was " a better man.."

Thanks, Ron!!  :biggrin:

Bert

Ron the man! Will check it out tomorrow.  Worn out over this one.  Finished my Friday flying! What a diversion!

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I and I suspect, many painters were watching the contortions you were going through with interest. :smile:

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi Folks,

Also - again - just to make life easier - when you load the image via DDS Nvidia Plugin (double click on DDS file) - the Alpha is sent to the image editor at the same time... You can edit both without using an external program - I find it easier - your mileage may vary...

In PSP you go to [Layers] [Load/Save Mask] [Load Mask From Alpha Channel]...

Then you make the edits to the mask...

Delete the original Alpha Channel [Image] [Delete Alpha Channel]...

Then save the mask back to the Alpha Channel [Layers] [Load/Save Mask] [Save Mask To Alpha Channel]

Then save the DDS as you normally would...

I'm sure PS is similar...

v6qjqx.jpg

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

19 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Exporting the alpha channel as bmp, editing it, and importing it again, gives me a clear texture with 800B, as intended.

I've only done this with the wintexts file, not the night versions, but the 800B persists regardless of lighting.. never knew I was " a better man.."

Bert. I have edited all three files now, including their respective alpha channels.  Looks excellent in all lighting conditions.  For the night textures I had to brighten up the B that I copied over the 8.  Would you like the two modified night textures?

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

I'm sure PS is similar...

Scott, Photoshop is somewhat different ( I use CC).  PS with these files works with channels.  One RGB, one each R,G,B, and then the alpha channel.  All I had to do was load the file (have the plugin) and the channels were there in the channels control. I first edited the alpha channel, and had to save it, quit, then reload before I could edit the RGB channel. Editing the RGB channel also edits the R,G,and B channels concurrently.  Saved again and good to go.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Very nice Bob!

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Would still be very happy about a N100L 😉

Pilot licenses: CPL, IRI, C510, MEP, CRI SEP
P3D V5 professional
CPU: i9-10900K, GPU: RTX 3090, MB: MSI Z490A PRO,
SSD: M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (2 TB) + M.2 (1 TB) , RAM: 32 GB (3600 MHz, CL_16-16-16-36),
water cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro + MO-RA3 420 LT, Display: Panasonic 58“ 4K

Another Registration change (fictional).

Bob, are your registration change paints available anywhere? Be nice to have these!

• Upvote 1