ideoplastic

Tehran Airport Scenery Purchase blocked by PayPal

Recommended Posts

I have now tried twice to buy ARMI PROJECT - TEHRAN IMAM KHOMEINI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OIIE P3D for P3Dv4 via Simmarket but the payment has been withheld by PayPal twice. It seems that PayPal are blocking payment simply because of the purchase title. On both occasions it was being bought with other sceneries  and after cancelling the Simmarket Orders and creating new orders for the other sceneries  PayPal paid immediately. I'm posting this here to warn any other simmers thinking of buying the scenery via PayPal, because they will take your money, put your order in pending then cancel it several days later without any explanation and return your money some days later. So avoid the grief. It is a sad day when real world politics begin to interfere in our hobby. Ironic that a scenery created for use in US made Flight Simulators is banned by a widely used company like PayPal. Roger and out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

33 minutes ago, ideoplastic said:

I have now tried twice to buy ARMI PROJECT - TEHRAN IMAM KHOMEINI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OIIE P3D for P3Dv4 via Simmarket but the payment has been withheld by PayPal twice. It seems that PayPal are blocking payment simply because of the purchase title. On both occasions it was being bought with other sceneries  and after cancelling the Simmarket Orders and creating new orders for the other sceneries  PayPal paid immediately. I'm posting this here to warn any other simmers thinking of buying the scenery via PayPal, because they will take your money, put your order in pending then cancel it several days later without any explanation and return your money some days later. So avoid the grief. It is a sad day when real world politics begin to interfere in our hobby. Ironic that a scenery created for use in US made Flight Simulators is banned by a widely used company like PayPal. Roger and out.

There are a lot of security practices being implemented in the most obscure of places. However, I'm sure they are for a good reason. I have just recently returned from a holiday in Corfu and I thought I'd pop onto Google Earth to check out the airport. It seems the entire area, plus other areas of security, have been pixelated out! The same appears to have happened at all Greek airports. On researching Google, it seems there was a request by the Greek authorities, to Google, to undertake this action. However, they have been unsuccessful with Microsoft as the Bing maps clearly show the same airports without any kind of pixelation. 

Share this post


Link to post

I bought it with my credit card directly, not using Paypal. Worked fine. Have you tried not going through Paypal?

Share this post


Link to post

I use PayPal quite a lot and normally don't have any issues, except for this particular one. I've already bought the scenery with a Credit Card. Just wanted to make others aware so they don't go through all the hassle I went through.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, ideoplastic said:

I have now tried twice to buy ARMI PROJECT - TEHRAN IMAM KHOMEINI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OIIE P3D for P3Dv4 via Simmarket but the payment has been withheld by PayPal twice. It seems that PayPal are blocking payment simply because of the purchase title. On both occasions it was being bought with other sceneries  and after cancelling the Simmarket Orders and creating new orders for the other sceneries  PayPal paid immediately. I'm posting this here to warn any other simmers thinking of buying the scenery via PayPal, because they will take your money, put your order in pending then cancel it several days later without any explanation and return your money some days later. So avoid the grief. It is a sad day when real world politics begin to interfere in our hobby. Ironic that a scenery created for use in US made Flight Simulators is banned by a widely used company like PayPal. Roger and out.

That's really funny!. The culprit of an embargo.

Cheers, Ed

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, edpatino said:

That's really funny!. The culprit of an embargo.

Cheers, Ed

You have to laugh...!!

Share this post


Link to post

Due to the reimposition of Sanctions on Iran, it is generally forbidden for US entities (and persons) to directly transact business with Iranian entities (and persons). While your transaction (buying a scenery for P3D) may be considered acceptable for now, PayPal in this case would be acting as a clearing house and exchanging funds directly with an Iranian bank - and probably in USD creating a “nexus” with US commerce, most definitely prohibited activity. That your credit card worked is not surprising - PayPal’s compliance folks are known to be very conservative ..... there was just a case involving JP Morgan Chase for the exact type of activity I just described and they’re going to be on the hook for a hefty fine by the OFAC. I am an airline compliance guy in my day to day life, and the renewal of these sanctions is creating a real headache for us. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, edpatino said:

That's really funny!. The culprit of an embargo.

Cheers, Ed

Unfortunately, we are probably going to see more of this in the software arena. It wasn't that long ago that the US Government banned the use of Kaspersky Antivirus by US agencies and contractors, stating that it was as security risk because of its country of origin:

https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2018/07/governments-kaspersky-ban-takes-effect/149758/

Certain Chinese cell phone manufacturers have been targetted by the US. I'm somewhat surprised that DCS hasn't run afoul of various US aerospace companies, not only because of intellectual property issues, but also because of the detailed and accurate flight models that are used for simulating US combat aircraft.

All I can say is, enjoy everything will it lasts.

Edited by jabloomf1230
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure what the problem is with Pay Pal, but I do not believe that it has anything to do with sanctions or anything like that. I had a similar issue when buying KIAH (George Bush International) from FSDT.  My other purchases with FSDT were fine. The last I checked Houston is not under sanctions or an embargo. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

Edited by Bluestar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ideoplastic said:

I use PayPal quite a lot and normally don't have any issues, except for this particular one. I've already bought the scenery with a Credit Card. Just wanted to make others aware so they don't go through all the hassle I went through.

Ah okay, yes I've heard of other people with similar issues trying to be this scenery through Paypal... Then again... Might have been you posting those messages...

Share this post


Link to post

If the entity or person receiving or sending funds via PayPal is in Iran, they are indeed blocking the transactions (or trying to in any event). In the case of JP Morgan Chase, several foreign air carriers (KE, SQ and others) were selling cargo shipments between Singapore or Korea, etc and Iran (i.e., wholly transacted outside the US). However since the air waybills were denominated in USD, that incorporated a nexus with US commerce (even though JP Morgan’s involvement was indirect through foreign clearinghouse(s)). The OFAC has fined them. Walmart got in trouble several years ago for a simple $25.00 online transaction - no kidding!  

The US is unlike any other nation I know of in its willingness to project its laws and regulations extraterritorially (ok maybe Saudi Arabia has gone a bit further of late).

I live in Houston so glad we are not yet on any sanctions lists 😉 .........

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Bluestar said:

I'm not sure what the problem is with Pay Pal, but I do not believe that it has anything to do with sanctions or anything like that. I had a similar issue when buying KIAH (George Bush International) from FSDT.  My other purchases with FSDT were fine. The last I checked Houston is not under sanctions or an embargo. 🙂

Grace and Peace, 

I had the exact same issue with the same piece of software. Apparently, PayPal's security software isn't very sophisticated.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Benjamin J said:

Ah okay, yes I've heard of other people with similar issues trying to be this scenery through Paypal... Then again... Might have been you posting those messages...

Not me,This is my first post on this issue.and  I only post on Avsim.

Edited by ideoplastic
correct grammar

Share this post


Link to post

 

12 hours ago, mwilk said:

I had the exact same issue with the same piece of software. Apparently, PayPal's security software isn't very sophisticated

As Paypal is a US company the OFAC sanctions algorithm on their payment systems will probably not allow the payment to be made as the developer will more than likely be based in Iran.  Facilitating a payment to an OFAC sanctioned country could lead to massive fines for any US institution facilitating the payment.   Best to use another payment method.  The UK has lifted sanctions against Iran so payment from a UK or European based banking institution should not be a problem.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure I understand this... I highly doubt, it has anything to do with US embargos or trade restrictions.

SimMarket is based in Germany. The PayPal transaction isn't sending funds to any Iranian bank or people - it's trading with SimMarket, who is the facilitator in this particular instance...

PayPal isn't aware of what you have bought... They act as a payment processor between you and the seller - SimMarket in this case. They receive information of an transaction ID, an amount and details of you as a person. Unless you are Iranian or are paying using a credit card, which is issued by an Iranian bank, I don't see the connection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

I'm not sure I understand this... I highly doubt, it has anything to do with US embargos or trade restrictions.

SimMarket is based in Germany. The PayPal transaction isn't sending funds to any Iranian bank or people - it's trading with SimMarket, who is the facilitator in this particular instance...

PayPal isn't aware of what you have bought... They act as a payment processor between you and the seller - SimMarket in this case. They receive information of an transaction ID, an amount and details of you as a person. Unless you are Iranian or are paying using a credit card, which is issued by an Iranian bank, I don't see the connection. 

They obviously are. Because it happened to me as well and I read many other stories like this.

It is correct that Simmarket is in Germany and ARMI Project is probably based somewhere else as well. I assume Paypal has quite a stupid filter on the word Iran.

And if I log in to PayPal I can see WHAT I bought... so they know what you are buying.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

They act as a payment processor between you and the seller - SimMarket in this case. They receive information of an transaction ID, an amount and details of you as a person. 

Simmarket is the facilitator, but the underlying recipient of funds will be a factor in the sanctions algo - which will be blocking the payment.  Either that or the name of the product.  It depends how their screening is set up.  It is a sanction blockage for sure.       

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Simmarket is the facilitator, but the underlying recipient of funds will be a factor in the sanctions algo - which will be blocking the payment.  Either that or the name of the product.  It depends how their screening is set up.  It is a sanction blockage for sure.       

Fair enough...

I still doubt it has anything to do with sanctions or embargoes! 

It could just as well be that PayPal is sensitive about credit card purchases to certain countries... I had a friend from Turkey, who once tried purchasing an airlines ticket with a turkish credit card. That transaction was declined. Simply because of the credit rating and the country of origin.

I have some times seen that my own credit card (issued from a bank here in Denmark) gets declined (or the payment/transaction held back) because the country (or origin of the seller) is from a country, which has a high fraud probability... 

It could be sanctions - but I highly doubt it... Please don't jump to conclusions, without knowing the full picture... If anything, try calling PayPal and ask them.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

It could be sanctions - but I highly doubt it... Please don't jump to conclusions, without knowing the full picture... If anything, try calling PayPal and ask them.

I'm a Compliance Officer in financial services.  My views are pretty considered.  :)

There are sometimes 'false positives' in the payment screening systems, but these would need manual consideration.   But again, it depends how the algos are set up and what information is being supplied and screened.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ErichB said:

 

As Paypal is a US company the OFAC sanctions algorithm on their payment systems will probably not allow the payment to be made as the developer will more than likely be based in Iran.  Facilitating a payment to an OFAC sanctioned country could lead to massive fines for any US institution facilitating the payment.   Best to use another payment method.  The UK has lifted sanctions against Iran so payment from a UK or European based banking institution should not be a problem.

 

My issue wasn't with Tehran scenery, it was with KIAH. Their software must pick up on certain keywords that flag the transaction. I ended up using a credit card outside of PayPal.

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, mwilk said:

My issue wasn't with Tehran scenery, it was with KIAH. Their software must pick up on certain keywords that flag the transaction. I ended up using a credit card outside of PayPal.

There will be some false positives for whatever reason or it could also just be an entirely unrelated reason which has nothing to do with screening.

But the US and UK probably have  the toughest sanctions and payment screening processes globally, and it isn't really surprising that this piece of software in particular is problematic for a number of people using Paypal 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

I'm not sure I understand this... I highly doubt, it has anything to do with US embargos or trade restrictions.

SimMarket is based in Germany. The PayPal transaction isn't sending funds to any Iranian bank or people - it's trading with SimMarket, who is the facilitator in this particular instance...

PayPal isn't aware of what you have bought... They act as a payment processor between you and the seller - SimMarket in this case. They receive information of an transaction ID, an amount and details of you as a person. Unless you are Iranian or are paying using a credit card, which is issued by an Iranian bank, I don't see the connection.

This is so unbelievably correct I cannot believe others are still thinking nefarious causes.  AVSIM has many Iranian's as members and we continue to process new registrations from Iranians.  This topic is locked!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.