Sign in to follow this  
Chock

Vertx VS Carenado: The DA62

Diamonds may be a girl's best friend, but if you've got P3D, which Diamond is going to be your best friend? Well here's a video which takes a good look at the differences between the new Vertx DA62 and the (fairly) new Carenado DA62 and doesn't necessarily come to the black and white conclusion you might expect..

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hi,

Thank you for the video. Please, is it possible to add English subtitles?

Thanks again and Regards,

Richard

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Not to be offensive but I'm impressed by your comment. To me it is really a black and white comparison. Especially if you put their respective prices and what you get side by side. But everyone can have his opinion of course.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Solid review Chock, I also have them both and I feel each has something to offer. The only disagreement I have is with the statement about not being able to customize the MFD.  On either one you are able choose between Heading, Track, Desired Track, or North as well as activate or deactivate Nav range rings, topo and terrain data. The Carenado VC click areas for these functions are inconsistent but the popup works ok, quirky to be sure, but ok. 

Edited by jalbino59

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

28 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Not to be offensive but I'm impressed by your comment. To me it is really a black and white comparison. Especially if you put their respective prices and what you get side by side. But everyone can have his opinion of course.

Consider this: What if you already owned the Carenado synthetic vision system and wanted to practice using it, and you flew a DA42 or DA62 for real? Then perhaps you might prefer a simulated DA62 upon which to practice in which could simulate synthetic vision. Or, what if your system struggled a bit with frame rates and you liked the idea of the 'lite' version which is included in the Carenado package? Of course on the other side of that equation, there are those who might fly twins for real and who appreciate the more realistic single engine operation of the Vertx DA62, and so for those it's going to be a no brainer to pick the Vertx one.

But consider too that when on Avsim, we get a somewhat skewed impression of what flight simmers want as a whole, since it tends to be populated by people who are really into their realism in their simulator add-ons, but this is only a small segment of flight sim users. There are many more people out there who dabble in flight sims who don't really care if the G1000 simulation is perfect and who really are not bothered about practicing engine out operations, and for those users, Carenado stuff will certainly float their boat because they make things which are less expensive and generally speaking, look prettier than the products of most other developers.

Since the video was published to youtube, one has to consider that not everyone who views it will find it via Avsim, and even if they did, they might not be a P3D user, or even a particularly hard-core simmer. They might be considering buying a DA62 sim for their Steam or boxed version of FSX and be seeking opinions on the Carenado one, which it should be noted, also has the advantage of working in both P3D and FSX, whereas the Vertx one does not.

Now, I am mainly a P3D user and since I am a real world pilot who also works in aviation, it should come as no surprise to learn that if I could pick only one of the two, I'd pick the Vertx one and I say as much on the video, but I am not so partisan as to understand that in the wider sense, flight simming is a broad church and attracts all kinds of users, and it is for all those users that I made this comparison video. For if not, then I would have simply made one looking at the Vertx sim alone. But even beyond this sound enough reason to draw such a conclusion, Vertx is a new development company and this is their first product, and one which has already been simulated by another developer, so in looking at their output it is only fair, and indeed might even be a useful straw poll for that developer, to consider what, if any reason, might compel some users to favour one over the other.

As you say, it's a matter of opinion, but in attempting to be fair and helpful to all users, I chose not to simply call it a straight victory for the Vertx one based solely on my own preferences, because to do so would not have been helpful to all flight simmers of every kind of preference who might come across that video.

Not that it's possible to please everyone: I notice someone has put a 'dislike' thumbs down on the video already, but let's just assume they're a miserable ****, shall we? 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Thanks for the comparison.   Is the real DA62 cockpit (engine sound) that loud?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for this video. We appreciate your effort.

• Like 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

The nice thing is that the DA62 is modeled, a niche aircraft.  I have the DA40 and DA42 and like them both, my DA42 has a higher power mod provided by a member here so it is a good cross country flyer on flights of 200-300 miles.  I like the DA40 alot, great 172 competitor, although my favorite all time piston single is the 177 because of its sleek looks on the ground and in the air.  I saw one once, in annual for only 12,000 back in the 80's and I still kick myself for not buying it, but used aircraft do have gremlins so it probably was a good decision, one does not want to impulse buy real GA used aircraft.

John

3 hours ago, Chock said:

There are many more people out there who dabble in flight sims who don't really care if the G1000 simulation is perfect and who really are not bothered about practicing engine out operations, and for those users, Carenado stuff will certainly float their boat because they make things which are less expensive and generally speaking, look prettier than the products of most other developers.

This is definitely me!!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Very nice video. I'm still watching it.

My opinion, so far, is that the Vertx is a much nicer sim, but I do like the synthetic vision of Carenado's version.

What's crazy is that the geometry may be more accurate in the Carenado version, like you say in the video, but the textures are sooooo much nicer looking in the Vertx, and that usually where Carenado excels. This is comparing excellent textures to excellent textures.

With the armrests on the Vertx, I can see exactly how the suede leather "feels", so much better in the Vertx DA62.  Also the other upholstery looks more realistic in the Vertx. 

Without a doubt, the flight dynamics are way better with the Vertx.  To me there is no comparison at all.

Also the sounds are a world better with the Vertx.

I know that there are more updates coming with the Vertx, but out of 10, I'd give the Vertx an 8 and the Carenado a 5.

The Carenado would get a higher score if Vertx didn't exist.   This is  not to say that I don't like Carenado, because I do.

Chock,

I notice that no one has mentioned this but ....

What about the Carenado with synthetic vision AND the F1 or RXP GTN750 configured.  I feel that would overcome all of the shortcomings of the Carenado except for the MFD and lack of alerts as well as flight characteristics. From this point of view alone, regarding the Carenado shortcomings, I feel the Vertx would be the better aircraft for the purists and with my experience with the Duke, I am very much a buyer.

In the same vein, would the Vertx gain any real benefit from installation of the GTN750 and... just how hard is it to insert the GTN into both aircraft. Has there been any attempt for the Carenado as yet??

Regards

Tony

Brilliant video by the way and I was incredibly impressed with the lack of any Bias.  Well Done Sir

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Chock,

I notice that no one has mentioned this but ....

What about the Carenado with synthetic vision AND the F1 or RXP GTN750 configured.  I feel that would overcome all of the shortcomings of the Carenado except for the MFD and lack of alerts as well as flight characteristics. From this point of view alone, regarding the Carenado shortcomings, I feel the Vertx would be the better aircraft for the purists and with my experience with the Duke, I am very much a buyer.

In the same vein, would the Vertx gain any real benefit from installation of the GTN750 and... just how hard is it to insert the GTN into both aircraft. Has there been any attempt for the Carenado as yet??

Regards

Tony

Interesting idea, but what you'd be talking about is a DIY job (assuming the 3D work for the VC buttons for the GTN was in place), to end up with a DA62 costing over £100 quid which still doesn't have as complex a flight model as the alternative which costs 30 quid.

Carenado DA62: £30.99

Carenado Synthetic Vision System for P3D/FSX: £26.99

RealityXP GTN 750/Flight 1 GTN 750: £45/£50

Total: £100 quid (or about 125 Dollars)

So it kind of gets to the point where it is only really worth doing for someone with more money than sense.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Alan,

Whilst I totally agree with your logic there is the aspect of the synthetic vision and the GTN  being usable in quite a few aircraft.

I do not own any Carenado aircraft except for the Phenom 300 which I cannot register (I do not know why and apparently neither does Carenado as they have offered me an alternative aircraft.) However, I do own the f1 GTN650 750  which can be installed into multiple aircraft and the same would apply to the Synthetic Vision. Under those conditions the cost is somewhat reduced depending on how crazy one goes buying Carenado aircraft The GTN obviously is a little more versatile in that it can be installed into many aircraft (notably the Duke LOL) 

I would also like to stress that I am completely unaware of the capabilities of the Vertx system other than it appears to be a lot more complex than the Carenado one and I am really wondering if the GTN750 would add anything significent to its abilities.

Bert Pieke,  as the resident expert, may be able to do a mod similar to the Phenom 300 for the Vertex but I don't know if it is a practical mod in the first place.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I always thought comparing anything with Carenado was like comparing anything good with a pile of junk. 

Maybe there are exceptions. Maybe. 

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Upvote 1

I think it goes without saying also that healthy competition in the marketplace is always good for the consumer.  It's no small coincidence that the two different sims by Vertx and Carenado both have almost the same baseline price, and everyone thus benefits.   🙂