Sign in to follow this  
Tibbi

P3D V4 Aircraft with no FMC

Hi I'm looking for a plane that is different than the 737, 747 and 757 ...

I do not want FMC but something else as a new challenge But please no Cessna

Lots of classic airilners would fit this category, VC-10 or BAC 1-11 for instance (JustFlight or David Maltby's), L-1011 Professional

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Aerosoft DC-8

Personally wouldn't recommend the JF L10-11. I found it flew completely unrealistic, the INS was cumbersome and you can't use a 3rd Party INS like CIVA I tried.  Old DC-9 would fit the bill if you can find one with an actual functional AP.  Milviz 737-200.

And there is always the free option. The included CS C-130 in P3Dv4.  Add your 3rd Party GPS or CIVA INS to it (this is what I do).  Use a TSS C-130 sound pack with it and it will come to life.  Note: There is another TSS on simmarket that has a word not allowed sound.cfg for the C-130.  Think they just tried to market themselves with the same acronym to get business.  Make sure you get the right one.

Edited by thibodba57

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

@Tibbi  Look at the CoolSky DC-9 Classic:  https://www.coolsky.no/aircraft/dc-9-classic  Look at some YouTube videos and you will see how great it is...  If you want a new challenge, grab this. Lot to learn.

It comes included in a Mega pack (3 aircrafts)  at FlightOne Website. The two other aircrafts included in the package are the Super 80 & Super 80 Pro, but VCs are a bit dated . The DC-9 Classic alone is worth the price.

Mike

A few less common suggestions for you...

Might want to give the revamped Sky Simulations DC-9 a look. It includes seven different variants of the aeroplane (DC-9-10, -21, -30, -41 -51, plus the freighter versions: -10F and -33F). It was tarted up for P3D V4, adding more functionality than the older FSX version, the improvements included a new electrical system, a revised automatic pilot, an updated and more complex hydraulic system, a virtual co-pilot, new audio, plus some improved modeling and high res texturing both internally and externally so that pretty much everything in the cockpit now functions and it is all 3D modeled.

When you consider that all this costs just 23 quid, it's a real bargain for something which is a good alternative to a 737-200 if you want an airliner which is not FMC-equipped and which simulates the real thing very well, in fact you'd be hard pressed to find something better than it which fits in that bracket for that kind of price tag.

https://www.justflight.com/product/sky-simulations-dc-9-p3d

But as cheap as that SS DC-9 is, here's one which does beat that DC-9 on price, currently on sale at just £12.50, so if it was any cheaper they'd be giving it away lol. The Just Flight BAC 1-11. Sort of similar to the DC-9 (in fact its sales in real life were badly affected when the DC-9 and 737-100 were developed, but for a brief time, it ruled the short-haul skies), the 1-11 is a real classic and this is a very good simulation of it. Like the DC-9, it's VOR and ADF navigation all the way with this one too, no FMC at all. Also like the Skysim DC-9, you get a lot of variants in this package (300, 400 and 500, both with and without hush kits, plus the Rombac 1-11 too, which was the license-built Romanian version of the 500 variant, operated by Ryanair amongst others). Again this is a detailed realistic sim of the real thing with realistic systems and version-specific VCs for each variant with different avionics (Smiths/Collins). The 1-11 is a bit of aviation history too, here's your fun fact for the day: It was the first airliner to popularise the use of reduced power take offs, which are common practice these days, but weren't when the 1-11 was new.

https://www.justflight.com/product/one-eleven-300-400-500

If you want something bigger and are prepared to pay a bit more, the Aerosoft DC-8 is hard to beat in that category. Again, like the SkySim DC-9, it simulates pretty much everything the real thing has, and since it is, like the real thing, a long-range airliner, but one which predates FMCs, it has a simulation of the Delco Carousel INS system, however, if you prefer to just have it load a standard FS flight plan into the INS rather than manually inserting the waypoints yourself, it will let you do that. Note that it also features that funky TrueGlass cockpit rain effect in its VC by TFDi, so it looks really great.

https://www.aerosoft.com/us/flight-simulation/flight-simulator-x-steam/aircraft/2381/douglas-dc-8

If you fancy something a bit different, how about the Aeroplane Heaven Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar? It's inexpensive at just 20 quid, but for that you get an absolutely fab simulation of a classic big prop transport aeroplane which is great fun to fly. It's slow (you'll be lucky to get a ground speed of 200 knots), and when it is heavily loaded it's a struggle to get it up to anywhere near its service ceiling of just less than 24,000 feet (you'll be doing well to get up to 18,000 feet with a heavy load), but all these things make it an interesting challenge to fly and that's very enjoyable because it has one of the best VCs you're ever likely to see, especially at night when the red cockpit night lighting makes it look really fantastically atmospheric. I've been having loads of fun with this one, flying it all around Europe and North Africa in Air Hauler 2. I usually have it right at MTOW and when hauling cargo and lots of fuel between France and North Africa,  when I fly it over the Pyrenees mountain range it makes it quite a challenge to ensure I get it clear of those mountains for the passage across them, so there's quite a bit of skill involved in flying it well. As a bonus with this add-on, you also get a model of the 'Phoenix' from the 1965 version of the movie The Flight of the Phoenix, and that's a real challenge to fly too. If you like classic aeroplanes and classic movies, you can't go wrong with this add-on. Note that if you have A2A's AccuFeel add-on, it makes it even more fun.

https://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/product_boxcar.php

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for all these answers. I forgot to write that the Aircraft should be as realistic as possible. I have heard not much positiv things about Flight1 and JustFlight.

Edited by Tibbi

2 hours ago, Tibbi said:

Thanks for all these answers. I forgot to write that the Aircraft should be as realistic as possible. I have heard not much positiv things about Flight1 and JustFlight.

Whilst what you hear can sometimes be useful, it is as well to be aware that unsolicited opinions found on the internet are usually not bound by an obligation to be truthful, and sometimes they can be the very opposite of this. Thus it can be difficult, indeed impossible sometimes, to know the motivation behind such things. I would therefore encourage you to go off your own experiences rather than restricting your findings to merely what you've heard.

Not uniquely so, but nevertheless rarer than one might suppose, you can do this at no cost whatsoever with both Just Flight and Flight 1, since they are just about the only two online stores for flight simulator stuff where you can try their wares at no financial risk to yourself. So you don't have to take my word for it alone, and nor should you, since you don't know if I have some secret motive for saying this stuff either (I don't, but are you gonna trust me on advice about where to spend your money when you've never met me?). To elaborate upon this...

Flight 1 offers a refund policy which generally amounts to the fact that if you are unhappy with their products, then they will refund your money. You can read more about this on the link just below, which is their website Terms of Service page concerning this policy (scroll down about half way):

https://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=tos

Much of Just Flight's content can be previewed in free demos, so you don't even have to worry about the possibility of getting your money back should you be dissatisfied. Below are some links to a few of  their most recent releases. For example, the AVRO Vulcan. It is limited to ten minute's flying time per flight at an altitude of no greater than 1,500 feet AGL and only includes one livery (XM655), but other than that, you can fly it as many times as you like if you reload it into the simulator, so it is more than enough time form an opinion based on your own preferences. It's worth noting too that although I've never taken Just Flight up on it personally, I know they will happily refund a purchaser's funds if that person is unhappy with one of their products because they want people to be satisfied with the service they offer.

So, check out these Just Flight demos, and make your own mind up...

Here's the Vulcan:

https://www.justflight.com/product/avro-vulcan-b-mk2

Here is their new Piper PA-28-181 Archer III:

https://www.justflight.com/product/pa28-181-archer-iii

Here is their Cessna 152, which was released a couple of months ago:

https://www.justflight.com/product/c152

If you don't like Cessnas, try out their absolutely brilliant Aerospatiale/Socata Trinidad and Tobago TB10/TB20:

https://www.justflight.com/product/tb10-tobago-and-tb20-trinidad

And if you prefer something a bit more sporty, here's their Spitfire Mark I/II (which is currently on sale for just ten quid):

https://www.justflight.com/product/dunkirk-spitfire

With the exception of the Spitfire, which was a collaborative effort with Aeroplane Heaven, all of the other demos listed above are completely in-house developments by Just Flight's own team. There can be little doubt when you check those out, what you might have heard about Just Flight as a developer is either wildly incorrect, or is very old news indeed from someone who is not keeping up on current events much. Their output over the past couple of years has consistently been top notch, and this desire to keep the quality high has rubbed off on many of their development partners too, most noticeably at Aeroplane Heaven, whose developments too have increased in quality as evidenced by many of their add-ons, notably their Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar, AVRO Lancaster, and one of my personal favourites from them, their wonderful B-17F/G, all of which are among the best and most affordable flight simulator add-ons you can lay your hands on.

It's worth bearing in mind that with both Just Flight and Flight 1, they are not only developers, but also brokers for other developers too, in that their online stores sell all manner of add-ons, but one thing which is definitely a plus point for both of their online stores, is that they neither charge you for hosting the downloads of your purchased product history, nor make it difficult to re-download and install them at any time, something you can do as many times as you like. I've just looked on both sites at my own accounts with them, and I have download products I bought from Just Flight listed as far back as 2009 which I can still download if I want to, and with Flight 1, they are listed as far back as 2006. And the only reason it isn't longer with either of them, is that prior to these dates I tended to buy their stuff on disk. Not only this, Just Flight also has a great Reward Points scheme which does end up saving you quite a few quid if you buy a lot of add-ons for flight sims.

Beyond this, both Flight 1 and Just Flight are also big supporters of the flight simulator community too, Just Flight even being the organisers of the Flight Simulator Show, hosted at RAF Cosford annually. So yes, seek opinions from others, but form your own opinion too.

It's most often that you will read long posts about developers and products only when someone has something they want to complain about, but I will happily step up and write a long post such as this one in praise of both Just Flight and Flight 1, for their consistent good service and fair trading policies. There are many reasons why they have been around for so long, and I've not even mentioned all of them, but it's no more obvious than when you compare them to some of the others out there who could certainly learn a thing or two from them. If nothing else, they are, as this post points out, happy to put their (and your) money where their mouth is and let people decide for themselves whether they are prepared to pay for the stuff they make and sell.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If you would like to get to know a real world avionics alternative to an FMC, look into the Garmin GTN 750..

You want realistic... that is it!

a2a V-tail Bonanza + RXP or Flight1 GTN750.. does not get much better..

(and it is not a Cessna..)

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

The Aerosoft DC-8.  Navigating by INS is a fun challenge -- there's nothing like going transpacific after entering the waypoints yourself.  After hours of nothing but sea and sky, you approach a strange coastline only to finally fix your position via VOR -- and discover that you are right where you're supposed to be.  Well, give or take a few miles.  You are now a navigator as well as a pilot.  The DC-8 has the rain effect the latest add-ons have these days, and furthermore, a cargo version is coming out soon(tm) for free.  The DC-8 Jet Trader.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I'd do either the Flysimware Falcon 50 and or the Very DA62.

With the falcon I'd get the GTN750...  It won't do your vnav for you and without autothrottles you'll still be working pretty hard.

The Very twinstar would be very different as well if you're used to B737's and a good change of pace

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh, then the Flysimware Cessna 441 Conquest II would work too.  It's a pretty big twin turboprop with nicely modeled Garrett turbines.  Also it can use the GTN750 and the REX/MilViz WX Radar.

Another one you might want to look at is the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.  You even get floats with it, so you can try out bush flying. :)  If you have the Orbx Pacific Northwest, Pacific Fjords, and Southern Alaska and also the Tongass Fjords, then you have a huge area to fly and explore.  Also, theres a place called "Return to Misty Moorings" that has a *lot* of add-on goodies for that area to make bush flyning even more fun.

• Like 1