Sign in to follow this  
Ekim

P3d 4.5 is out!

I saw this line in V4.5 changelog:

"Added more building scenery objects v4.5"

Does that mean LM added more scenery buildings in default airports/cities?

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

On 4/13/2019 at 3:43 AM, SteveW said:

What I do to upgrade is:

Control Panel, uninstall program,
choose the main P3D component and uninstall.
When finished I see that the other components, scenery content and client, have also been removed.

Transferring in the actual user name and also the drive and path that P3D is installed into, I rename the folders as such:

"C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 44"
"C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 44"
(= "C:\Users\All Users\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 44")

"C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons 44"
"C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Files 44"

"C:\Users\username\Pictures\Prepar3D v4 Files 44" * optional

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 44"
"C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 44"

Registry data is not an issue.

I unzip the new package and choose to run setup.
When finished I enable the license and start P3D.

This way I get a completely clean fresh P3D install, and I can pick from the old install anything I want.

Hi Steve,

I agree, by following your sequence of steps that hallowed ‘clean install’ will be achieved whilst ensuring the preservation of original data. However, this does beg the question: ‘Why?’ After all, LM have gone to great lengths to provide us with an alternative method which is sufficiently flexible as to satisfy most user needs. Do we not trust their installers/uninstallers? Do we have so little faith in our computers to accomplish tasks like this accurately and with a high degree of reliability? If so, then why should we be trusting our computers to handle anything at all for us? If we stand by this logic then there is no reason to believe that the main setup executable will prove to be any more successful in achieving an installation that is free from corruption.

Not trying to be provocative, and I can certainly understand why a clean installation would be a mandatory requirement for any Developer. Also, it can be a necessary step towards helping to resolve issues that have hitherto seemed intractable. 

My method is somewhat similar to yours, but relies more on confidence that LM’s uninstallers/installers will fulfil their intended tasks without errors:

1. All Add-ons are disabled via the Prepar3D UI (also see 5.)

2. Default shaders are restored (PTA or Tomato Shade users).

3. Prepar3D.cfg, Scenery.cfg, terrain.cfg, add-ons.cfg, (AppData\Local) Calibration.xml are backed up and then original files deleted.

5. (AppData) DLL.XML, dll.xml, (ProgramData) EXE.XML and exe.xml are backed up.

6. Each of the above files is opened in Notepad++ and all Addons are rendered inactive by changing the ‘False’ entries to ‘True’.

7. Backup any preferred legacy aircraft that have been restored in v4.4 and found to be working (Probably unnecessary as they are likely to be ignored by the v4.4 Client uninstaller). I’ve yet to test this step as I’m still on v4.4.

8. Check accuracy of the Prepar3D v4.5 zip download by verifying the MD5 values match. Unpack the zip archive.

Now, I’m ready to:

9. Uninstall P3D Client, System Restart, Install Client update and TEST.

10.  Uninstall P3D Content, System Restart, Install Content update and TEST.

11. Uninstall P3D Scenery, System Restart, Install Scenery update and TEST.

10. Then I run FTX Central 3 and allow it to do its stuff, which includes the addition of ORBX specific terrain.cfg entries. 

11. Reinstall FTX Global BASE pack and Global Trees HD.

12. Run a compare on the new Prepar3D.cfg with the backup from v4.4 and update the new file as appropriate.

13. Reinstate Scenery.cfg from v4.4 (keep a backup of the new default if you like).

14. Start the process of re-enabling the Add-ons (see steps 1. and 6.) and I would begin with FSUIPC. This can take a while as it is dependent on when each product is confirmed as being v4.5 compatible, either from the word go or via an update (which may or may not require a reinstallation of a product) from each Developer.

This method seems to have served me well throughout the 4.x point release updates.

Best regards,

Mike

Edited by charliearon
edited out word(s) not allowed otherwise post would be deleted.
  • Like 3

Cruachan I was wondering why Steve did it this way. The last line says why. I think if he wants to put something back he had before he can copy it over. Can’t wait to see what he says..LOL

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Bump

Edited by reecemj

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

1 hour ago, reecemj said:

Cruachan I was wondering why Steve did it this way. The last line says why. I think if he wants to put something back he had before he can copy it over. Can’t wait to see what he says..LOL

Hi Maurice,

Not sure I understand you. When I uninstall Prepar3D Client, Content and Scenery the P3D uninstaller/s will ignore any files placed in P3D root by 3rd Party installers, with the exception of original P3D files that have been overwritten. So, for example, all files installed by ORBX, apart from those overwritten by the FTX GLOBAL Base Pack and Global Trees HD will remain in situ.

We did have an issue between v4.3 and v4.4 whereby LM decided to remove various aircraft so, I agree, had these not been backed up or I had employed Steve’s method prior to performing the update, then these would have been lost. That was unusual and unexpected. However, if, like me, you are in the habit of creating regular backup images of the main Prepar3D installation drive then recovery of these aircraft would have been possible.

I have listed those files I feel should be backed up prior to uninstalling Prepar3D so, unless I’m missing something....which is possible as the content from my earlier post was from memory and not after the fact (I haven’t yet updated), then that’s all that’s needed when it comes to reinstating a preferred configuration over a fresh installation.

My response to Steve’s post was not in any way mean’t to be read as being critical. Far from it! I suppose it all boils down to me not understanding this apparent slavish desire to wipe everything out and start afresh. You see this on many occasions on these forums. Yes, I know Steve’s method allows the copying back of 3rd Party files from the previous install, but that takes time and, some might consider, could also be subject to data errors. Unlikely, but rarely it could happen. The only other way is to start over from scratch which is not something I ever want to face again. The way I have chosen to update seems to be equally effective and relatively painless in terms of time spent and effort expended.

When all is said and done our respective methods are really not so very different. If your P3D drive has enough free real estate, and you wish to achieve that clean base install, then go with Steve’s method as it should guarantee what you want.

I too would be very interested to read Steve’s response to my ramblings. It may be he will identify errors in my logic and I can take these on board to further refine the process.

You wait, what’s the betting that this will be the occasion when I encounter a problem and find myself wishing I’d followed Steve’s advice 😉

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

was getting random CTD last week. forced me to uninstall everything and have a nice fresh clean install of V4.5. Took me 2 days to get all my scenery and aircraft downloaded/activated etc. still need to update all my AFCADs. Ill back them up next time. That will probably take another 2 days before I can get back to flying. :blink:

edit: the random CTD was on 4.4. probably my fault messing around with something

Edited by Redwood
  • Upvote 1

@RedwoodGood luck Redwood, hope you will be flying again soon.
...thought the common practice is to install x-plane and troll some p3d forums, when there is a problem. 🙄

Edited by Rasterfahnder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

Hi All,

I updated today following the instructions from P3D website. I'm extremely impressed with load times now. Load time out of (Fly Tampa) Sydney, Australia, was 60 seconds in PMDG 747-8, with ORBX (Vector, Trees, & Australia), FS Global Ultimate, and ASN + ASCA.

Process Explorer reported 99GB VAS usage on load.

I'm loading off a Samsung 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD and load times on v4.4 were around 5-6 minutes and it was doing my head in - I could go downstairs and make a cup of tea at 6%, come back and it still hadn't loaded.

I've also updated ASN and ASCA, and all seems to be working well atm.

In a nutshell, v4.5 has cut my load times by around 80%, breezing past 6% like it was any other number.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by mikeyjames
Spelling

14 hours ago, reecemj said:

That's right! That way I save the old settings and addon configurations and so on. I need to be able to reproduce systems without messing. I keep all sims as stock installs and special configurations rather than just one install.

Edited by SteveW
  • Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

10 hours ago, Cruachan said:

You wait, what’s the betting that this will be the occasion when I encounter a problem and find myself wishing I’d followed Steve’s advice 😉

You should be OK. You are correct as usual. The way I described is developer friendly but also is quick, simple and has no problems after the install - none.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

You should be OK. You are correct as usual. The way I described is developer friendly but also is quick, simple and has no problems after the install - none.

i will be adopting this goong forward!

• Like 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

35 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

i will be adopting this goong forward!

If you copy the P3D program folder first you also keep the planes because during the uninstall, as Symbol said, the original files are removed leaving only changed and added files. A developer might also rename the pictures folder for referring to the shots on a per version basis.

Most xml addons can be dropped into the new P3D addons folder and away they go, no need for reinstalling. Do one at a time and start P3D each time as some set-up functions might only complete after the next P3D run. Some addons require an update to go with any new P3D build, others do not; check with developer.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ve been reading this thread and it seems like every user has some “secret sauce” way to update their installation, with some going to what seem like unnecessary lengths.

I installed my first P3D install with v4.4, so this is my first version upgrade. At this point, I used ActiveSky, Ultimate Traffic Live, various A2A aircraft, and some scenery add ons.

Is there a reason the basic upgrade process on LM’s P3D forums won’t work?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, neil0311 said:

I’ve been reading this thread and it seems like every user has some “secret sauce” way to update their installation, with some going to what seem like unnecessary lengths.

I installed my first P3D install with v4.4, so this is my first version upgrade. At this point, I used ActiveSky, Ultimate Traffic Live, various A2A aircraft, and some scenery add ons.

Is there a reason the basic upgrade process on LM’s P3D forums won’t work?

I went from 4.4. to 4.5. (Client only) by following Poppets instructions..

1. Uninstall 4.4. Client - do NOT deactivate the P3D install

2. Delete Shaders folder (or its contents)

3. Install the 4.5. Client, and be patient when starting up P3D.. it needs to rebuild the shaders.

That is it!  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Bert

The differences of system are from the variation in the preferred type of flight sim and the set of software built up according to that taste. rather than to get around some kind of issue inherent with the upgrade.

Cruachan mentioned; why do it any other way when the functions are in place and also by the way addons are described to cooperate with the sim. That's exactly what allows me to adopt so effectively the method I described, in that the simulator, or addons, can be switched in and out with no fuss.

Edited by SteveW