Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Environment Force Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, Axis3600 said:

I noticed that when the weather is covered with EF the FPS goes down well compared to before ...

Compared to what before?

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

42 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

That's not a dig at you Federico it just we hear that a lot, PMDG idea of "soon" with the NG was over a year later.

1 year of development is relatively very short look:

52 Weeks x 5 working days = 260 days.

Of course not all days are effective to develop, you have sick days, holidays, etc. in Europe it is average to have around 25 Holidays per year + standard festive days, so lets say a total of 35 non working days + 1 week of sick days, this leaves 42 days are out of the 260 = 218 working days.

This is of course not counting support time for current customer, so let's say you assign an average of 3 hours a day to respond questions, support problems, etc. This leaves you with 5 hours a day to be fully productive on developing new stuff.

5 hours a day x 218 working days = 1090 hours of developing time (IF YOU HAD NO DISTRACTIONS).

All this assuming of course you work full time developing for Flight Simulation content, if you do this part time as many 3rd party P3D developers do, you can easily half those figures, if you think about it it is amazing to see such good products to be developed withing 1090 working hours (full time) or 545 working hours (part time), specially considering that within that time frame you have to add all the stages of the project:

• Planning and Requirements. 
  • Design and Architecture.
  • Development and Coding. 
  • Implementation. 
  • Testing and Maintenance. 
  • Production.

Of course this is calculating 1 developer per project -which is how most add-on's are being developed-, and before you start considering that projects with multiple developers should be done faster - specially for the flight sim industry- you need to research a bit about the Constructive Cost Model (COCOMO).

The relationship between total effort and project duration is one of the best understood in software engineering, mostly through the work of Barry Boehm and the COCOMO model. A few cost drivers affect the result, as well as different calibration depending on the type of software (MIS application, embedded, etc.). COCOMO was developed in 1981, and its successor COCOMO II in 2000. For example: A 100 person-month project, with all cost drivers at nominal value takes 14 months according to COCOMO; staffing would start at 3 persons, and culminate at 8 or 9 (7.1 average) in what we call the construction phase in RUP. But a 200 person-month project would take 19 months with staffing going from 5 to 12 (10.5 average). It would however deliver less than twice the code (35K for the first 67K for the 2nd). There are numerous COCOMO resources on the net. The NASA calculator: http://www1.jsc.nasa.gov/bu2/COCOMO.html. is quite useful and the same page contains plenty of other pointers.

So if you think about it, when any developer delivers content for P3D, FSX or XP withing 1 year using much less resources a per most COCOMO models, the wording "it will be delivered soon" is not very far from the true :wink:.

S.

Edited by simbol
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, simbol said:

218 working days.

As a healthcare provider this sounds hilarious. 

I think the FPS are much lower especially when there is a weather covered. before EF I could hold 30FPS in Nantes today with EF I am more towards 17 22 FPS

Simbol is just pointing out the Real word use of "soon" takes on a totally different meaning to developers. I can't believe you wrote all that to justify why in developments terms "soon" can be a year plus. How about using terms like "hopefully next year" some sort of real-world time frame or simply don't give any at all. Far better than a real-world meaning of "Soon"

Real world dictionary

in or after a short time.
"everyone will soon know the truth"
synonyms: in a short time, shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a twinkling, in the twinkling of an eye, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), any time (now), 

I just rang my garage to book my car in lucky their idea of "soon" was next Monday. If the guy wrote me a letter explaining he booked it in May 2020 because that's his idea of soon, and explained how long the earth has been here its' really booked in " in a blink of the eye". Still lucky my garage is on the same "planet" I am. 🙂 

That was all in fun BTW. But "soon" is "Soon". No matter how you dress it up 🙂 

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, fs1 said:

As soon as we fine tune the HDR (imminent), we’ll start implementing these. If you want to add yours to the features request list, you are welcome.

Federico

Federico, Tim linked you to me to send you a PM but you have it off on your forums. Thank you.

I've made posts about all my finding/suggestions I know you're working your socks off Federico. Looking forward to the fixes/updates. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

41 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Simbol is just pointing out the Real word use of "soon" takes on a totally different meaning to developers. I can't believe you wrote all that to justify why in developments terms "soon" can be a year plus. How about using terms like "hopefully next year" some sort of real-world time frame or simply don't give any at all. Far better than a real-world meaning of "Soon"

Real world dictionary

in or after a short time.
"everyone will soon know the truth"
synonyms: in a short time, shortly, presently, in the near future, before long, in a little while, in a minute, in a moment, in an instant, in a twinkling, in the twinkling of an eye, before you know it, any minute (now), any day (now), any time (now), 

I just rang my garage to book my car in lucky their idea of "soon" was next Monday. If the guy wrote me a letter explaining he booked it in May 2020 because that's his idea of soon, and explained how long the earth has been here its' really booked in " in a blink of the eye". Still lucky my garage is on the same "planet" I am. 🙂 

That was all in fun BTW. But "soon" is "Soon". No matter how you dress it up 🙂 

Haha, I get you..

The idea of my post is to bring our minds closer.. yours to ours (developers) and ours to yours (users) :wink:.

Regards,
S.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Haha, in which way? you think I was far too generous?

Haha yeah just a friendly jab that 218 workdays a year is something we probably do by September 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Axis3600 said:

I think the FPS are much lower especially when there is a weather covered. before EF I could hold 30FPS in Nantes today with EF I am more towards 17 22 FPS

I did understood that you lost FPS with EF compared to before. I mainly was asking what setup did you have before (SF3D, ASCA, ASP4,....). Cause if you had a vanilla P3D before EF, you will indeed loose some FPS since the textures are way more detailed then the defaults one...so it would be great if your "worse then before" would contain your "before" setup informations 😉 .

Try to lower your texture settings within EF as a start.

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech

Yes sorry before I flew with ASP4 / ENVSHADE / ENVTEX / ASCA / REX SF

Today I have uninstalled ENVTEX / ENVSHADE / ASCA

so my config is ASP4 / EF / SF.

And I really feel that I lost a lot of FPS in the battle especially when the weather becomes OVC I have 8 15 FPS before I could have 30 FPS on the same airport.

And when I cut the HDR EF I get the lost FPS ...

@Axis3600 did you check the texture size settings in EF? By default it is 2048 I think. Try DTX5 and 512. You can do so in manuel mode. I use ASP4/ EF/ SF/ ENVSHADE with out frame drops.

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rasterfahnder said:

did you check the texture size settings in EF? By default it is 2048 I think. Try DTX5 and 512.

Initially I too lost fps with EV installed...

I checked "Enable Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer" was off... it was.

In my case, as Rasterfahnder suggested, the cause turned out to be cloud textures of a higher resolution being used. I reduced these down inside EV and my frames were back.

10 hours ago, Riah069 said:

Having a bit of a problem atm. If i start EV before starting P3d and dont delete the Shaders backup folder P3d will crash everytime. If i start P3d then start EV the mini UI dose not show. Anyone have the same problem?

Why don't you post in REX Forums? https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums

Thanks

Federico

Federico Sucari

19 hours ago, fs1 said:

Most of the facts here are incorrect. You can read the manuals, for example. The auto mode for example, has the same features as the manual mode. There are many others facts that are inaccurate.

I appreciate if you have really something constructive to share. you take your time to think your statements and be precise on your affirmations.

I invite you to have a constructive discussion of the product.

Thanks,

Federico

Frederico, whats up? You invite me to a constructive discussion in quite a boastful manner and now you are ignoring me? 

Before i put our lively and fruitful discussion to a rest, let me give you a free life advice: If you come to a public forum to accuse a customer of spreading false facts, you should either back this up with evidence or apologise. It makes you look a bit bad otherwise...and the company you are representing as commercial member

• Like 1