Sign in to follow this  
SKEWR

New MS Flight Sim shown at E3

7 minutes ago, skully said:

Indeed, the silence from PMDG is deafening.

Of course now that the cats out of the bag, they will be compelled to either confirm or deny any involvement in this as will Aerosoft etc.

It's standard practice in the industry to hire out the development of certain high-fidelity components of the simulator to 3rd party developers.  Lockheed Martin has done this with P3D via Milviz and Iris.  Aerosoft just happens to have gotten the contract with MS this time around.  PMDG probably couldn't have met the deadlines MS was asking, given their high standard of development.  This is not to say Aerosoft makes low quality add-ons, only that PMDG can take years to develop a single aircraft, and MS obviously isn't going to sit around and wait on that.  

Here's a bit of a trivial question. I registered under

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/insider-program-sign-up/

for the Insider program as supposedly a lot of other folks did, too. I got a confirmation mail and clicked the link and was accepted.

Now I don't expect MS to give me access to a beta tomorrow🙂 but what about those two menu entries "LOGIN" and "FORUMS"? The LOGIN (with my MS password) leads me to another login at XBOX Game Studios which I don't have (yet?). So am I supposed to buy an Xbox pass subscription just to see if there will be ever some contents for me? I am in no way interested in MS Halo Infinite, MS Ninja Theory and whatnot. 

The FORUM entry just does nothing.

Did anyone have more success?

Thank you and kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

41 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm still curious on the claims that Microsoft has been working with the community?

Right? Orbx came out and said they knew nothing about it but then again the proprietary technology MS is pitching looks like the ultimate Orbx dream goal.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.”

The quote above seems to be directly written for the flight sim community don't you all think?  Just not sure what they consider "best partnerships" and "Authenticity of flying"

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tonywob said:

. One of the concerns regarding LM is that perhaps Microsoft so far have been turning a blind-eye to P3D's popularity as a replacement for FSX (under a more restrictive license) and the worry is that since they'll essentially be competing, are they going to start throwing their weight over this.

My thought  too. I wonder whether we'll see an academic licence for V5...  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

43 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I'm still curious on the claims that Microsoft has been working with the community?

Cheers, Rob.

What they mean by 'working with the community' is, having seen what a load of whining, moaning and negativity the community invariably indulges in whenever something like this is announced, by 'working with', they mean working with a good awareness of that fact and doing their level best to avoid us all like the plague lol

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 hours ago, DaWu said:

WellI i for now will stop any addon purchases until i know where the future is

Me too. The only thing that I will buy now is PMDG NG3 when release...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

15 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Yea, I remember when the Flight trailer was released I was excited back then too.  Not this time.   Fool me once...

Flight was always going to be a dog. That's why I and a bunch of other Avsimmers camped out outside Microsoft headquarters, until they agreed to put a bullet in it. See this classic "Occupy Redmond" thread for further historical details. Hopefully the guys who ended up in GTMO are doing OK. :) https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/358890-occupy-redmond/

Anyway, the new MSFS is a totally different beast. Go back and look at the Flight launch trailer. It's well edited, but you can tell the scenery is FSX with a bit of a polish. Now look at the MSFS video - this is true next-gen. 

Flight also cooked it when they went for very simple aircraft that were systems-lite. There's a subset of simmers who would be happy with the very simple GA planes and that awful flying boat thing that they launched with, but there wasn't much variety.

From the MSFS trailer, we know that we're getting an Airbus A320 Neo (with the possibility of some systems), a TBM 930 and a Diamond DA-62 amongst others. If they add a Boeing - I think there might be a 737 in one external shot? - I'll forgive them for keeping the Icon A5.

Flight had nothing to impress the casual crowd in terms of visuals. Frankly, it was embarassing just how bad it looked at the time, and it was only flight simmers who gave it a second look because we're kind of used to 1990's graphics.

Go and look at the comments on the Youtube video - there's non-simmers close to tears with just how beautiful MSFS looks. Look at the shot of the snow-covered mountain, the sunrise behind the city and the lighting at LAX - it's all just awesome.

As for systems depth, that's a good question of course. The A320 has a flight plan on the ND, the MCDU looks about right, there's an FMC with some route data that hopefully isn't static.

The night lighting - see the Dubai shot, and the airport approach - look sensational as well.

Chaps, this is definitely not Flight. Lots of unknowns still, but based on what we do know we should be very, very happy today. :) 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

18 hours ago, DaWu said:

WelI i for now will stop any addon purchases until i know where the future is

That's easy, it's Garlic Bread. Everybody knows Garlic Bread is the future. 🤣

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

@ChockIt really is, I've tasted it!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 minute ago, MaDDogz said:

Good.  I don't want to wait another 100 years (and pay thousands of dollars) for them to finish covering the world.  MS has already done the job with satellite imagery and AI.  

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eslader said:

Wouldn't be the first time MS engaged in a bit of.. Hyperbole in its advertising. 😉

Box art:

6840-microsoft-flight-simulator-v4-0-dos

Actual product:

msfs3-lear-meigs.gif

That said, I imagine the visuals will be excellent. The question is how MS is currently defining "realism." Merely including an accurate physics model isn't going to appease the simmers who are used to flying PMDG/Leonardo/A2A planes through real-world weather. On the other hand, having that level of simulation out of the box is a recipe to make the casuals look elsewhere.

If they're smart, they're gonna make a modern FSX - good bones for 3rd party addon makers to build on and give the hardcore guys what they want without making all the other guys pay for it up front.

Huh?

Those graphics were great for their time.

How old are you?

When you started off simming with these visuals then you can come to appreciate the above.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 minute ago, blueshark747 said:

Huh?

Those graphics were great for their time.

How old are you?

When you started off simming with these visuals then you can come to appreciate the above.

hqdefault.jpg

Actually, when I started, this was a flight simulator:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Orbx is definitely not working on this, I was at FSexpo this weekend and they were at the bar at the hotel when the news broke. I was there and saw their reaction to it all and I know for a fact they said they had nothing to do with it and were blindsided by it, along with every other developer at the expo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Cubs105 said:

Orbx is definitely not working on this, I was at FSexpo this weekend and they were at the bar at the hotel when the news broke. I was there and saw their reaction to it all and I know for a fact they said they had nothing to do with it and were blindsided by it, along with every other developer at the expo

Which kind of put's doubt about Microsoft's claim to have engaged with the community during the development. 

• Upvote 1

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography