Sign in to follow this  
chass32

July 11th development update

13 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Pretty much alone, yes. Because most of us accept it for what it is....a simple screenshot, accompanying an innocent little dev update. It doesnt try to prove anything, it doesnt try to hide anything.....ITS.JUST.A.SIMPLE.SCREENSHOT....

And yet here we are, a 6 page long debate about a simple screenshot....gotta love this place

I trust it is permitted to have an alternative opinion. As a former amateur photographer I find the angle curious. As @dtrjoneshas suggested it’s a teaser image presumably designed to generate debate. Call me old fashioned but a plain undoctored image would have been more to my liking. It does rather hide things because not all of it is in focus.

10 minutes ago, LHookins said:

It is intended to be artistic.  It's not like it is a picture intended for a product brochure for the actual aircraft.

I see a picture of an instrument panel taken from an artistic angle with some artsy-fartsy processing done to make it more interesting.  If I had been taking the picture of the actual aircraft, I might use the angle but I'd do whatever necessary to get the entire panel in focus, including if necessary using a camera with swings and tilts.  But I'm not going to criticize the pics they posted.  The pic does what it was intended to do.

Hook

See above. A plain screenshot would have been fine by me.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A plain screenshot would have been fine by me.

But they're looking for more reaction than that would cause. They're trying to excite us rather than just inform us.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

A plain screenshot would have been fine by me.

You aren't the target market.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I trust it is permitted to have an alternative opinion. As a former amateur photographer I find the angle curious.@dtrjones

The reason for this world is crazy, yea. But why was it made. You see the amount of post processing. It simply shows that their photo effects are implemented and working. For this developer this is a milestone.

30 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I trust it is permitted to have an alternative opinion. As a former amateur photographer I find the angle curious. As @dtrjoneshas suggested it’s a teaser image presumably designed to generate debate. Call me old fashioned but a plain undoctored image would have been more to my liking. It does rather hide things because not all of it is in focus.

See above. A plain screenshot would have been fine by me.

As a former (retired) professional photographer working in the editorial and advertising world, I can tell you exactly why they used that angle:

• It shows off the 3D modeling of the gauges, which wouldn't be as apparent in a straight-on panel shot.
  • The reflection in the glass gauges reads better at an angle like this.
  • The edge-lighting from the sun direction shows off the pebbled texture of the panel better than any other angle you could use.
  • The DoF effect only works if you have enough actual depth in the image, which you wouldn't have in a straight-on panel shot. 

The DoF effect isn't the most important thing in that image, it's mainly about the first three. From an advertising art direction standpoint, it's a good image.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 5

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

17 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

But they're looking for more reaction than that would cause. They're trying to excite us rather than just inform us.

I get excited about certain things but not a new flight sim program with so little info to accompany the impressive video. I need to see the full picture. Then my heartbeat may rise a little. 😉 As Larry says, I’m probably not the target market.

@Longranger, if the final sim doesn’t have the post processing I don’t see the point of including it in a teaser shot. Is it showing us something the final product won’t include?

Anyway, we’re on page 7 and I don’t have anything more to say. I’ll just revert to lurk mode.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Microsoft don't have to do anything your doing it to yourselves you can`t wait for the 25th. 

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Longranger, if the final sim doesn’t have the post processing I don’t see the point of including it in a teaser shot. Is it showing us something the final product won’t include?

What gives you the idea that it won't zhave a photo mode. They want a photo mode.

3 minutes ago, Longranger said:

What gives you the idea that it won't zhave a photo mode. They want a photo mode.

It’s all guesswork until an announcement. Personally I’m not bothered about a photo mode as I rarely take in-flight screenshots.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s all guesswork until an announcement. Personally I’m not bothered about a photo mode as I rarely take in-flight screenshots.

Well you don't want it but an Xbox User with a social media account will want it.

Some of you guys have very little understanding of how gaming tech has advanced in the last decade and it shows. I'm very thankful that that's not the case for all of you :).

The screenshot is deserving of all of the drop jaw reactions. Regardless of what ever post processing is in play, it is still the best looking panel I have ever seen in a sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

47 minutes ago, Krakin said:

The screenshot is deserving of all of the drop jaw reactions. Regardless of what ever post processing is in play, it is still the best looking panel I have ever seen in a sim.

It is a great looking picture.. but not substantially better than you could make of the RealAir Duke V2 or the a2a Bonanza panels. 

Or the Vertx DA62 or Alabeo Seminole, for that matter.. :wink:

Lets see what this new sim actually delivers.. the jury is still out..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is a great looking picture.. but not substantially better than you could make of the RealAir Duke V2 or the a2a Bonanza panels. 

Or the Vertx DA62 or Alabeo Seminole, for that matter.. :wink:

Lets see what this new sim actually delivers.. the jury is still out..

I looked up the examples you gave and you are absolutely wrong. those panels look cartoonish and from a bygone era by comparison.

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Paraffin said:

As a former (retired) professional photographer working in the editorial and advertising world, I can tell you exactly why they used that angle:

• It shows off the 3D modeling of the gauges, which wouldn't be as apparent in a straight-on panel shot.
  • The reflection in the glass gauges reads better at an angle like this.
  • The edge-lighting from the sun direction shows off the pebbled texture of the panel better than any other angle you could use.
  • The DoF effect only works if you have enough actual depth in the image, which you wouldn't have in a straight-on panel shot. 

The DoF effect isn't the most important thing in that image, it's mainly about the first three. From an advertising art direction standpoint, it's a good image.

Spot on.

19 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I looked up the examples you gave and you are absolutely wrong. those panels look cartoonish and from a bygone era by comparison.

Um, don’t think so. Oh, so now all of a sudden, a new sim is announced, and the best in the business is now cartoon looking....yeh right.

Luke Pype