Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Top Gun 2 Maverick - Official Trailer

5 hours ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3979544

That Seinfeld GIF is perfect!!!!

2 hours ago, jon b said:

TAKE MY BREATH AWAY !

Oh man, I was just sitting in a waiting room when I read your response and literally started laughing out loud. Everyone in the rooms looking at me probably wondering what I’m looking at that’s so funny. 😂😂😂

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh, I've seen that picture before and can't help but feel slightly saddened by it. Time sure takes its toll on us all. Call me melodramatic, but to see such beauty melt away is quite heart wrenching.

I remember this woman I met some ten years ago. She was in her mid eighties if I recall correctly. Extremely charming and intellectually sharp as a tack and really funny to boot. She was unhappy with the dental prosthesis she currently had and I told her to bring a photo of her in her youth so that I could send that picture to the lab for reference when creating a new set. Sure enough, she brought a picture of herself at the next appointment.

The picture was of her in her mid twenties. Shot in a studio with good lighting and all that (amateur photographer myself with some studio work on the side). Her hair was that nice 50s style and she had a really nice smile.

She was absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. I was quite unprepared for that and it really had never occured to me that this charming old lady once had been an absolute stunner of a woman.

All these years later I still think of that charming old lady and what she used to be. I suppose she is no longer with us as she would be approaching 100 years by now. I left for work in another city (something that upset her greatly, telling me (tounge-in-cheek ofcourse) she ought to "slap me over the head for moving away from her").

Ah, well. "Tempus fugit" I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Hah - reminds me of the “old” Elvis Costello song “Veronica” kind of gives you a new perspective...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

5 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Oh, I've seen that picture before and can't help but feel slightly saddened by it. Time sure takes its toll on us all. Call me melodramatic, but to see such beauty melt away is quite heart wrenching.

It kind of reminds me of girls that I had crushes on from high school or some 80’s movie stars that were really good looking. Then when you see them 20 years later a lot of them don’t even look anything like what they did or then.

Kelly McGillis, Heather Locklear and some others didn’t end up aging well. I used to like Elizabeth Shue from Cocktail and Adventure in Baby Sitting. She’s aged pretty well as had Suzanna Hoffs from the band the Bengals. She was the tops for me and still looks pretty good to this day.

Go long on Rayban stocks for 2020.  😁

Edited by Murmur
  • Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

12 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

She’s aged pretty well as had Suzanna Hoffs from the band the Bengals. She was the tops for me and still looks pretty good to this day.

That would be the Bangles.  I think the Bengals is a hip-hop band out of New Delhi.  😜

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yeah - think many of us had a thing for Suzanna Hoffs - man - those eyes...

Regards,

Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

12 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Regards,

Scott

Had? I still do! 😎

• Like 3

On 7/19/2019 at 5:04 AM, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

I'm hoping for a new plot line but I’m seeing too much retreading of the original movie

I find the trailer a bit similar to the first reboot of Star Trek as well, but such movies still pull the strings of us who aviate.  One of my fav carrier movies was "Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas starring, even though there was not a lot of flight action, it gave a feel for carrier life and I've been on both the Enterprise and the Midway when both were active ships and my dad was working as a civilian for the Navy.  I have also been on the Long Beach while it was active, and of course the Missouri in Honolulu and other Marine exhibits there, finally the German sub at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, where I was born.

Coincidentally, watching the trailer made me decide to install DCS world, with such wonderful graphics and a great "nape of the earth" sense of flight.   My new SSD has allowed me to "spread my wings" so to speak and add some more entertainment titles to my system so I am not stuck in just two sims (P3DV4 and Xplane11) all the time.  I now have a cool ship simulator, a cool Midget Car racing game, Jack Nicklaus Golf Sim and best of all, lol 3D Pool! 

I won lunch money in college by playing pool by playing with my friends, they used me as a shill, unsuspecting students would see me flobbing shots then they'd challenge us, suddenly I would nail shots like there was no tomorrow, just missing one or two so they would not know they had been scammed.  Learned to play pool well from my college trig class, until I got the shakes in my right hand, I was great at it.  But the last game I played, I won for my friend's brother.  My friend and his girlfriend, quite good Pool players, challenged his brother and I to a match.  I nailed the final eight ball shot, but the match was not even close.  I limited myself to one beer, which helps with my right hand tremor and relaxes me when I play pool.

I feel there are things in Pool that helped me understand the physics of flight quite well, and also helped with my eye/hand coordination, essential for good piloting, plus giving me a steady but decisive mind for flying.  When I play games such as Pool that require me to focus my one good eye, since the left is good for peripheral and night vision but not good for reading aircraft gauges, I get "in a zone" like a Top Gun pilot and just feel like I am in my element, and nothing can stop me.

John

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Regards,

Scott

Lol, yesssss!!!

36FBD492-5DB4-49D7-B32E-830C7647DFF2.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Lol, yesssss!!!

Got one up on ya, she was our guest at the hotel I managed, Napa's Chateau (Now Indigo) hotel back in the 80's.  Sadly I did not get to see her, I had to take a day off, but my staff told me she and the rest of the Bangles sang "Manic Monday" for our guests in our pool, who happened to be Falcon Crest cast and crew, since we had the Falcon Crest contract.

That was a feather in our cap but it was not enough to support the original and kind owners, so a husband and wife team, naturalized South Korean citizens, bought our hotel and asked our staff for ideas to make the hotel more viable when the Falcon Crest crew was gone.  I told the new owners to saturate Silicone valley with advertising for Business Retreats, they did so, and I told them to pay for an upgrade to our ancient computer system, because it was slow and our night audits took hours where we could not use the computer to check someone in or out, our full time night auditor, the man who taught me how to write computer accounting programs and data collection programs, insisted we get a faster computer.

The new computer was applauded, made by the same company, with the same software with some slight upgrades, but it was a Cray compared to a pocket calculator and an audit program that ran for hours ran in seconds.  Second, it had a tape backup--when I worked the relief audit shift, the old system had 12 inch diskettes and I'd have to walk down to the laundry room where we kept our server, as big as a dining table, to swap diskettes.  I had to do 30 roundtrips at first, then as we gathered more data, the roundtrips got up to about 36.  Those were the crazy, early days of the hotel computers, which were derived from airline systems.  The company that made our system then was called Qantel (http://www.qantel.com/)

They even wanted me to work for them as a trainer, but as they were based in expensive SoCal, I became a trainer instead for Northern California's Hotel Information Systems then later IBM's Encore system at my base in DC, that I traveled from and to and from Napa since I flew there on my weeks off to visit my parents, brother and nephews.

Our business went way up within weeks, I got promoted to Rooms Manager and became our Night Auditor's supervisor, although he really ran the hotel as any good supervisor knows, if you have someone good, don't supervise, give 'em a raise, which I did and he stayed.

After that the Bangles came and went, Falcon Crest cast and crew came and went, I met Mario and Michael Andretti, and Michael Mondavi, owner of the well known Mondavi winery and summer Jazz venue.

My love for flight is what got me into the hotel business, which I worked with in one way or another until around 2014.  Why?  I loved travel because I loved being exposed to folks from any culture, I had taken a trip to Europe at age 15 in '77 and was told before to be an ambassador for my country, so that is how I approached people from other lands, on my best behavior, and also remembering "when in Rome" adopt their habits and relate to them. 

Working in the hotel industry, before I became a hotel business systems traveler for a decade, allowed me to "travel" without going anywhere, because Napa (and later Tahoe and Phoenix where I also lived) attracted folks from all lands, all over the world, because travelers viewed us and our agricultural ways as a slice of heaven.

John

7 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Regards,

Scott

Curse that one up-vote limit... :biggrin:

Thank goodness there's a lady flighter pilot it as well as a single mum in it. 

Can you imagine the outrage If there wasn't.

Bit like not having a black female James bond.... Oh wait a sec... 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

12 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

Thank goodness there's a lady fighter pilot in it.  Can you imagine the outrage If there wasn't?

Bit like not having a black female James bond.... Oh wait a sec... 

:ohmy: The PC brigade will be round your house any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

cap-ture.jpg

im guessing the single mum (I love as google has defined as "single mum") is vegan and the guy 3 from right is the token guy from the lgbt community, the beard is a dead giveaway.  

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png