Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

August 8th Update - Microsoft is taking over support of FSX again

4 minutes ago, threegreen said:

No need for sarcasm now.

I have you down as someone supportive of what MS are doing here and agree with you on many things you've said about MSFS. We are in August and things are getting serious next week and I'm not sure why this update on FSX is throwing so many off.

Trying to keep things light my friend..  😁

More seriously though, maybe we can endeavor to comment on the topic and subject, not what other users are saying about that topic or subject.  

Yeah?

(I mean - nobody is perfect on this - but it's a good general rule)

Edited by irrics

45 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Quote from the new update:

I don't want to read too much into this, but at this point I'm actually starting to like the way they seem to be engaging with the community. There were the references to AVSIM threads and even individual posters in their previous update, and this may actually be quoted from @snglecoil who posted in this thread. Seems they published the FSX update and jumped right over here to monitor reactions.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like this.

😂 But wait! There IS more! 

I agree, their reference to posts here is perfect. 👍

Chris

44 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I don't want to read too much into this, but at this point I'm actually starting to like the way they seem to be engaging with the community. There were the references to AVSIM threads and even individual posters in their previous update, and this may actually be quoted from @snglecoil who posted in this thread. Seems they published the FSX update and jumped right over here to monitor reactions.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like this.

I'll agree that MS has been doing a fantastic job of communicating and engaging the community so far.  Today's update is the first time I've been disappointed in what they've said, but it's only because I was expecting anything about the new sim not FSX.

I have seen other devs engage in a fashion like this before though, usually it strongly signals an excellent dev studio who is passionate and dedicated to creating a great product.  Studios like SCS Software and Paragon come to mind.  Microsoft used to not be a studio like this, but they've made great strides to improve over the past few years and that's shown with FS2020 so far.  My hunch is Phil Spencer has a lot to do with the improvements like this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aleex said:

Honestly, I was expecting sometimg about MFS2020, not FSX. I mean, at least something related to the new sim.

Well, FSX comes back to MS, nice. But a little explanation about what does that mean for the current sim could have been good. Even what does that mean in general. Today. No in a couple of weeks. It could fit in no longer than a paragraph :unsure:

GUYS!!!

DON'T PANIC!!!

If you go back and read last month's announcement, you will recall that they left us a "hint" about FSX.

Dovetail's agreement was concluded, so either Microsoft takes over and keeps the Steam portal open, or else everyone - including me - would no longer HAVE FSX:SE to run. No Steam portal = No FSX:SE...

...so many, MANY unhappy FSX:SE simmers! What a giant black eye that would have been. Be grateful for MS taking it back over, and please :laugh:stop the whining.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 5

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

27 minutes ago, irrics said:

Trying to keep things light my friend..  😁

More seriously though, maybe we can endeavor to comment on the topic and subject, not what other users are saying about that topic or subject. 

Commenting on what other users say about the subject - is that not what a discussion is? I'm merely saying I think it's sensible to meet this update in a more relaxed way. This, however, is just another opinion and doesn't mean others are wrong to be a bit more engaged over it. Due to the lack of concrete information still, we are basically all just throwing in our opinion.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

You can’t blame people for being confused and concerned. It’s a 14-year-old sim. Can you imagine if, in the lead up to FSX being released in 2006, Microsoft had announced it was also going back to MSFS 5.0 (1993)?

No, you can’t. Or it would have obviously been some kind of a joke.

To repeat what I hope is increasingly obvious: people are excited about the new sim because it’s a leap forward after many years of stagnation. Don’t look back!

James

• Like 3

M $ has treated us roughly this past decade andso they have much to do to make ammends.

• Like 2

spacer.png

I too do appreciate consistent communication, but there is a good way and a bad way. 👨‍🎓

The development update and the FSX info could have been combined, but the development info should have come first.👨‍🏫

Its like MS is testing the waters, and they have bets going on how quick we pounce (like Piranhas!!). Surely they already know, even the bones will be consumed.😉

My advice is to communicate things of value to us and all will be well. We don't need to know what you plan to plan, just tell us the plan or do the plan. Like EICAS/ECAM reduces info overload for pilots, MS could do likewise with announcements/communications for flight simmers. 

Redemption road needs to be repaved with Pure Gold not gra(o)vel.😇

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, pracines said:

We don't need to know what you plan to planjust tell us the plan or do the plan

^^^ This - Exactly.

Edited by irrics

More than anything else, I think we need to feel like we're not being manipulated by PR drip-feeds. 

I used to work in an advertising related field. I know how this works.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

So much speculation over so little known facts. MS doesn't deserve all this attention for no more than they've told the community. Let's ignore the rascles until they want to quit teesing and look us honestly in the eye with they're offering.

Steve McQueen to Robert Wagner in "The War Lover". " If you want to be a good pllot Bosman, you gotta learn how to relax."

Suggest to my sim friends we quit jumping up and down like puppies every time Microsoft rings a little tinkling bell and get busy doing what we love doing. Simming!!!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Vic green

The thing is by telling us the timeline for releasing information we get to know when such information is going public and don't have to sit and wait impatiently, unlike the other option of "when it's ready we'll tell you"....which annoys the heck out of me.

I actually like being told something then nothing at all and in the case of developers, even providing some info of what technical hitch has delayed a release is another way of keeping us in the loop, makes us understand the cause of the delay (possibly)  and in the mean time we can keep flying with our current, good quality sims of choice...it's not like we have no sim to fly and only sim forums to read...😛

Edited by YMMB
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4