Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

August 8th Update - Microsoft is taking over support of FSX again

13 minutes ago, pracines said:

It would be interesting to see what MS does with FSX.

I suspect MS will patch it to work better with Win10, remove/redirect any old web links and that will be it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Give people power to really test their personality.

3 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

I suspect MS will patch it to work better with Win10, remove/redirect any old web links and that will be it.

"Good" would be my response to that...

That's all they should bother with on that old platform heading into 2020.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, threegreen said:

Moreover, it would be a total dick move to put the insiders under an NDA. People, including me, have been yearning for concrete information about the sim for some time now and if they shared that information with just a select group of people and everyone outside of the insider program would be left in the dark it would certainly be, as I said, a dick move and it wouldn't do them any favors either in terms of marketing the sim and getting people interested. An NDA is highly unlikely for me.

I signed up for the insider program when the sim was first announced, but it seems that's not really what will get you into the program in the end. No idea what kind of requirements they have for people to actually be able to join the program.

For there to be "insiders" there must, by definition, be "outsiders".

People who sign up for beta tests and early access frequently do so for purely selfish reasons...they just want to be at the front of the line. They often dont want to do the real work of organized testing and providing actionable bug reports and constructive feedback. More often than not, the result is just a cacophony of childish whining because this or that feature doesn't meet ones personal standards. 

Personally, I hope they limit the size of the Insider program as much as possible.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Noodle said:

Personally, I hope they limit the size of the Insider program as much as possible.

For FSX, "insiders" were by invitation only. One had to have some bona fides to get invited.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just now, n4gix said:

For FSX, "insiders" were by invitation only. One had to have some bona fides to get invited.

Indeed, I was on the team. Still have my Beta DVDs laying around in a box somewhere.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Back when I was a beta tester (FSX) with MS (I started testing sims starting with FS2000) the amount of "noise" heard in the community was at times deafening, and it all centered around the same thing. "Microsoft never listens".

Here now, we have a team that is actively interacting with the community (Just after an announcement that a sim even exists) and folks are ripping apart MS in how they are doing it.

Folks, I don't really think you understand just how *huge* of a change this is in the process of creating a sim with MS.

Let's cut them some major, major, slack on the info they decide to release. They are doing something they have never done. Let's not give them a reason to regret it...

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Noodle said:

I understand the job of testing and reporting for people in the program, but I do hope the whole disclosure of information on the sims features etc. will not take place inside that group only.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

It amazes me that not one person here has raised the question of MS Flight here. For all their sudden (re) support of FSX, it seems they have a very short memory of their whole Flight debacle. I really don't want to raise that particularly and mean no ill will, but with everyone getting their knickers in a twist I thought it might be worth pointing out that they are once again supporting FSX but with absolutely no mention of dear old Flight. I know the answer why but still think it's worth a mention.

3 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

It amazes me that not one person here has raised the question of MS Flight here.

Flight was brought up a TON early on after the initial video reveal

Edited by irrics

1 minute ago, irrics said:

Flight was brought up a TON early on after the initial video reveal

Darn, I guess I am not F5'ing as much as you, or at least since I last read the thread 4.316 hours ago. Sorry but from what I recall Flight hadn't been mentioned much.

Anyway no worries if it was or anything.

5 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

Sorry but from what I recall Flight hadn't been mentioned much.

It was mentioned quite a bit and any concern was mostly dismissed by the majority it seemed like.

Microsoft and their leadership have done a total 180 since Flight and in particular in the last few years.

As a company, they are killing it these days and Flight should be put in the aberration category I think.

Edited by irrics

Anybody has the right to build an entirely new flightsimulator. But down through the years MS flight simulators have almost always been very much like their previous version. In other words there is a strong family resemblance. To do this they needed to own the rights.

In order to do the same thing this time, to build a simulator that has a real family resemblance to FSX, they had to retrieve the rights to FSX from DG.

This move by MS is very satisfactory to me. It seems to indicate to those like me who have loved MSFS in the past over the years, are going get a hopefully very much improved version of an old friend. Instead of something completely different.

Yay!

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Anybody has the right to build an entirely new flightsimulator. But down through the years MS flight simulators have almost always been very much like their previous version. In other words there is a strong family resemblance. To do this they needed to own the rights.

In order to do the same thing this time, to build a simulator that has a real family resemblance to FSX, they had to retrieve the rights to FSX from DG.

This move by MS is very satisfactory to me. It seems to indicate to those like me who have loved MSFS in the past over the years, are going get a hopefully very much improved version of an old friend. Instead of something completely different.

If you read through all the posts here, there is a tension between those who want a continued version of classic MS flight sim, and those who want something completely new from the ground up, a modern sim for the 2020's. 

We have no idea what the plan is, but I think it's significant that they're using the  outside French studio ASOBO in some capacity, even if it's just for 3D models of aircraft. To me, that suggests a departure, and maybe something completely new. I'm also skeptical that the previous versions of the sim could do what we've seen in that first trailer. But it's early days yet, we should know more soon.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Aug 15 Update:

-Team releases detailed plan to fix the Blurries in FSX (at last!).

-Finally the FS2020 schedule. It's a schedule of planned quarterly schedules of upcoming updates.

-Photo shopped image of Giraffes eating leaves..