Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

January 16th, 2020 - Development/Insider Update

16 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Oh come on! Do you own any PMDG aircraft? Of course 3rd parties can go into more detail than Asobo.

Yes I own PMDG aircraft? so what? you have any information you would like to share?

3 hours ago, MatthewS said:

Streaming a movie (at say 1080p) better than buying a new Blu-Ray disc? I find this very hard to believe. Evidence?

No. The opposite is true.  Buying a hard copy is better than streaming

7 hours ago, ludekbrno said:

So streaming is much more nature friendly, than buying a physical disc with data

Not from what I read. The amount of energy it takes to maintain cooling for running a server array alone is more energy intensive than producing a batch of hard copies.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/189268-digital-game-downloads-are-worse-for-the-environment-than-blu-ray-discs

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/02/streaming-music-isn-t-as-green-as-you-might-think-here-s-why/

Edited by Farlis
  • Upvote 1

What does any of this have to do with MSFS? Good gracious, there are environmental arguments all over the internet. This isn't the place for them. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

9 hours ago, Noooch said:

Yes I own PMDG aircraft? so what? you have any information you would like to share?

Let's just recall your opinion which was "I don't see how a 3rd party can make a plane better than the default ones are".

So what evidence (or "information" if you prefer) do you have that it's not possible for a 3rd party (eg PMDG) to make a plane that's better than the default ones. 

IMHO your position is rather ludicrous so please elucidate.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

5 hours ago, Farlis said:

No. The opposite is true.  Buying a hard copy is better than streaming

Oh yeah... I meant "worse" not "better", must have been before my morning coffee, haha.

Matthew S

But nobody likes flight simulator's " it's a small niche market " .. yeah. Microsoft: "hold my beer".

Edited by jhnWik
  • Upvote 1

Well, flight sims are actually a niche market, compared to the other major games that are played by hundreds of thousands. 

We have no idea how popular MSFS will be for new users, after playing it and them trying to find their own homes. 

For Avsimmers yes, it will probably be the biggest thing out there, for the other millions on Xbox Gaming, maybe not so much. 

• Like 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

1 hour ago, MatthewS said:

Let's just recall your opinion which was "I don't see how a 3rd party can make a plane better than the default ones are".

So what evidence (or "information" if you prefer) do you have that it's not possible for a 3rd party (eg PMDG) to make a plane that's better than the default ones. 

IMHO your position is rather ludicrous so please elucidate.

Simple, because everything they have accomplished until now is beyond anything we have seen so far, so the evidence is called MSFS. Not to mention almost unlimited ressources.

11 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Simple, because everything they have accomplished until now is beyond anything we have seen so far, so the evidence is called MSFS. Not to mention almost unlimited ressources.

IMHO your reasoning is incoherent.

PMDG will have access to the very same SDK that Asobo use to build default aircraft.

So again, what actual evidence do you have that PMDG is not capable of producing an aircraft better than the default ones?

Are you seriously suggesting that PMDG cannot produce a 747 that is better than the default one?

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

2 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

PMDG will have access to the very same SDK that Asobo use to build default aircraft.

Do you even read/remember your own posts?

Your statement makes zero sense considering what you wrote just a few hours ago: Of course 3rd parties can go into more detail than Asobo

10 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Do you even read/remember your own posts?

Your statement makes zero sense considering what you wrote just a few hours ago: Of course 3rd parties can go into more detail than Asobo

Yes I do. So please explain the fallacy of my comment. But of course you can't. However I wait with bated breath for your response.

Third parties can go into more detail than Asobo, if they wish, and I suspect the 747 of PMDG will have far more detail than Asobo's default 747.

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

To make a top-tier simcraft, the dev needs to have some access to the beast, an intimate knowledge not only of the SDK but also of the FDE architecture and the willingness to invest a large sum of money (thousands of hours of work) for an uncertain RoI. 

Asobo has all of that and, at the difference of its predecessors (ACES etc.), the goal (or so it seems) not to release basic aircraft as default. Any third party including PMDG, not yet the second element. So their aircraft should take a little time to be on par. 

What is interesting is that Asobo should set the standard of quality. I am confident that the existing top-tier devs will follow the lead.   

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Well, flight sims are actually a niche market, compared to the other major games that are played by hundreds of thousands. 

We have no idea how popular MSFS will be for new users, after playing it and them trying to find their own homes. 

For Avsimmers yes, it will probably be the biggest thing out there, for the other millions on Xbox Gaming, maybe not so much. 

If a major game is played by hundreds of thousands it's considered a failure. AAA games count their sales by the millions. Battlefield V sold at least 7.3 million copies yet according to EA's CEO it still failed to meet expected sales and was considered a failure.

Battlefield One, which is considered a success, sold 15 million copies.

The new Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has sold nearly 5 million in its first month, and has earned over a billion dollars as of 18th december 2019. Assuming it always sold at a standard 60 dollars, that's over 16.6 million copies sold. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think it will reach, or has already reached 20 million copies sold.

That's the kind of numbers we're dealing with when talking about mainstream gaming.

Edited by nikita

Actually, ASOBO is doing the developing, MS is providing the finance, Bing & the cloud! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...