Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

Will my last post about VR be the last post about VR here?

There has been no post about VR since my last post was closed on 29 February.

I am really sad it took me over an hour to write the post, but it was closed within less an hour. My last and the forum last post is here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/571120-i-have-a-bad-feeling-this-sim-will-never-have-vr/

My conclusion can be an exaggeration, but my concern is not ungrounded. It's based on reasoning and past experience. 

I might be wrong. Everybody might be wrong. But even a wrong opinion can lead to constructive discussions. The reason behind the initial no consideration of VR can be open to serious discussions. Is it overlook, technical difficulty, or market strategy? Microsoft has now expressed VR on the agenda, but how serious is this? They changed their attitude towards VR, but that's under people's strong reaction. Should there be constant demand to keep the pressure going? All these are worth discussing.

I wish my last post could be reopened. It would not be late to close it after people have expressed enough opionions against it.

I guess we won't know until the release version comes out. All you can do is take people at their word.

NAX669.png

Hey,

Yet another fantastic and speculative rehash of a topic already done to death.  I do believe MSFS are vaguely aware that a lot of simmers want VR already, and probably do not need weekly reminders.

But let us not miss this opportunity to put MSFS back on the discussion map and generate a little more unnecessary publicity.

Well done.

I think we should also, further, speculate and discuss at length, whether we will have any aircraft in this sim. When that has been done to death, again, maybe we can speculate and discuss to the death whether or not I will be able to see my house.

There are just so many opportunities to dwell on speculations alone. Lets leave facts out of the equation whilst we are about it.

Just in case someone has missed this topic (VR)  I will try to bring it up again tomorrow (electricity in this part of the world permitting)

Guys and girls, please get a grip. If I sound a little ticked off with this endless repetition of topics, you may well be correct. PLEASE let us stop this nonsense and concentrate on the facts and titbits of information which is being constantly generated by the Developers.

Regards to all

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

When I initially researched Asobo and saw the Hololens my first thought was that we'd get a new generation of VR based on what they'd learned from the Hololens project.  This may still be happening but they aren't ready to announce it yet.  This would actually fit with what it appears Microsoft is trying to do with MSFS.

We already know they intend to add VR at some point and the roadmap even mentions VR and TrackIR support.  I can't really use VR for personal reasons and I can't imagine trying to fly without TrackIR or other some other head tracking system, but I'm confident we'll see support at some point.

This would also be a good time to see modern versions of the Microsoft force feedback controls.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Flying in VR is really exciting. Regretfully to me I would need to have a better system to try using it in P3D because of lack of performance. Using VR with Aerofly FS2, in the other hand, is a very rewarding experience. To me, the problem with VR is that it's somewhat tiring to fly with it for more than 30 minutes, unless you're handling a very simple aircraft and just flying for fun in VFR conditions. If you want to deal with a lot of complex aircraft systems for long hours while simming, VR is not the place to go, in my opinion.

Probably that was one of the main reasons in the most recent survey conducted by Navigraph, only 17% of the flightsimmers that participated in the survey have/own a VR headset, but only 12% of the participants (the whole sample) use VR for flight simulation. At the beginning I was a bit surprised by those low numbers, but looking at them carefully, there are several reasons that could explain the behavior.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Before this thread inevitably gets closed...

I think VR will come eventually but I don't think it's as high a priority for MS / Asobo as any of us VR only fliers would like. It was disappointing to see it lumped in with TrackIR (!) at the bottom of the wish list. As though the two are related or of equal importance for the future. VR is a whole platform to build on, like an XBox port, not just a feature to be ticked off. Also there has been no official talk of it since after the Seattle Q&A.

It really surprised me that VR wasn't developed from the start. That decision had to come from VR skepticism by MS project managers, because devs love playing with shiny new tech.

When developing a game for VR there are certain things that need to be considered that you wouldn't have to for 2D. 90+fps in all circumstances is the big one, the effect of stutters, how good texture work needs to look, how users interacts with the virtual world. It's not inaccurate to say that Asobo will have a harder time implementing that stuff retrospectively than if it was part of the requirements from the start.

Then there is the internal MS politics angle. They have made the decision to not go into VR with XBox. WMR is a poor cousin to Oculus and Valve. For whatever reason MS are taking a pass on the VR space at the moment. Is there a reluctance to implement a feature that drives sales of Facebook and Valve hardware? I hope not, but who knows.

So VR will come, it has to, but I now expect it way into 2021.

• Upvote 3

I've got an Oculus Rift S, but haven't learned to like it yet.  I still like TrackIR5 much better.

Since MS itself dabbles in VR hardware, I think it is safe to assume that at some point they'll glue that commercial interest to their flight sim. It's an assumption, but if they can make money off doing that, it's likely to be a goer.

In the interim, allow me to introduce my own (freeware) VR flight simulator add-on 'Smell-o-Rama' ™. Compatible with every flight simulator, it's the simple and effective way to feel as though you are really on the ramp!

Simply get a can of lighter fuel and tip some into a saucer, then place it next to your favourite flight sim device. Through the magic of (quite possibly toxic and potentially harmful in the long term) evaporation, and the inherent dangers of inflammability, the 'Smell-o-Rama' ™ device will fill your room with the simulated stink of Jet A-1 fuel and if you close your eyes, you will really believe you are next to that Boeing 787 taking on an extra 12,000lbs of fuel.

And if this is not enough, why not also get hold of 'Eardrum Shattermatic' ™ too? Perfectly simulating working in an environment with the deafening sound levels of numerous GSE vehicles, jet engines and APUs, it's the perfect complement to your sim. Just detune your radio to some annoying static, and then turn up the volume to 11 to fill your room with 145 dB of aviation realism!

Disclaimer: For those of you with a common sense bypass, please don't do any of this. It'd be stupid and possibly dangerous too.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Please don’t just keep repeating the same old “worries” and comments over and over again. By all means post something new about VR but just posting to keep the forum alive achieves nothing.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

13 hours ago, nickhod said:

VR is a whole platform to build on

I very much agree with your view that VR is a whole platform to build on. This is not repeating the same old "worries" over and over again, but going deeper into the core of the matter, revealing a bigger picture from different perspectives, and letting more people (including Microsoft and Asobo) be aware of the urgency of the matter.

• Like 1

Hi Chock

"Simply get a can of lighter fuel and tip some into a saucer, then place it next to your favourite flight sim device. Through the magic of (quite possibly toxic and potentially harmful in the long term) evaporation, and the inherent dangers of inflammability, the 'Smell-o-Rama' ™ device will fill your room with the simulated stink of Jet A-1 fuel and if you close your eyes, you will really believe you are next to that Boeing 787 taking on an extra 12,000lbs of fuel."

Believe it or not mate, I have actually out done this way back in 1973.

As a young and enthusiatic Leading Aircraftman in the RAAF I was posted to Darwin in the Northern Territory. 

Each year in early October, there is a certain Motor Race (note capitals) named the Bathurs 1000 in which (in those days at least) there was a head to head race between General Motors Holden (now in the throes of exiting Australia) and Ford. These guys raced Holden Monaros which is your Vauxhall, and Ford Falcons, all of the V8 variety for approximately 8 hours, and the race was hugely popular, in fact, it still is.

In those days Darwin was just establishing a television industry and we actually had two channels ... one was the Aunty ABC and the other was a commercial station. Both these stations put in a magnificent 13 hour days starting at 9.00 am and finishing at 10pm.  

Bathurst was transmitted live to the southern states ie  NSW Southern Queensland Victoria and South Australia. Darwin however got  second prize and we got our version some three weeks later. BUT, better late than never.

So as a very keen follower, I ensured that I knew precisely nothing about the result and waited anxiously for "RACE DAY" The full replay started at 9 oclock local time so at 7.30 I had the Barbeque filled with wood and ready to go. I had an esky full of ice and beer and a soft drink, of course, for "she who must be obeyed". I had a long power extenstion cord out and connected to a TV which was placed in front of the Beach lounge chair which in turn was in close proximity to the esky. A church key (bottle opener) was tied to the side of the lounger.  I then went off to the local Shell dealer and purchased at great expense to mine goood self, a 1 gallon can of methanol which was then placed on the other side of the lounger.

At 5 minutes to nine I was seated with the TV on and a beer in my hand. At 1 minute to 9, I opened the can of Methanol and then the race started.   .... I was there. 

All in all, a glorious day which I will never forget. A bit like ANZAC Day here in Australia, Bathurst and ANZAC days are things I try never to miss.

Your post, mate was a great reminder of those days and I thank yu heartily for that.

Regards

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

11 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

I very much agree with your view that VR is a whole platform to build on. This is not repeating the same old "worries" over and over again, but going deeper into the core of the matter, revealing a bigger picture from different perspectives, and letting more people (including Microsoft and Asobo) be aware of the urgency of the matter.

What is new in this thread that hasn't already been posted in other threads many times (and has already been acknowledged by Asobo)? VR is on their list of things to do. I'm sure that they're not just idly sitting around considering what to do next to occupy their time. Remember that in spite of what some may think to the contrary, VR is only "urgent" to those with VR headsets. To most other people it's just something that's worth enabling in the new sim at some stage.

Edited by vortex681

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

13 hours ago, vortex681 said:

What is new in this thread that hasn't already been posted in other threads many times

That's an awfully strange criteria, for this forum, considering it feels to me sometimes that the vast majority of threads in the main MSFS forum are extravagant wastes of space. Yet you know what I do?

Yup, I move on; or, if it's really that serious: 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Why are people on a discussion forum, so afraid of discussions?  If a thread stays on topic, and the thread is in the right place, what is the issue.  So what if people talk about the same thing over and over.  People talk about what they want to talk about.  If you want to talk about something else, go to a different thread or create a thread.  Now I am going to yell at my neighbor cause he keeps talking about the weather.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2