Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

ATC upgrade in 5?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I am assuming the answer is no, but does anyone know if there have been any substantial upgrades to ATC and vectoring in v5? For example, getting the 30 degree turn every 20 minutes on an IFR flight plan because you've been off heading by a few degrees. Hey always give you the "turn 30 degrees" for a few minutes and then turn you back on course. 

Anyone know about ATC in v5?

Edited by mtr75

Share this post


Link to post

Way to drive yourself crazy, use default ATC for IFR. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PF3 Beta Tester

Bob Cardone        P3D 3,4       FlyVirtual.net   Aivlasoft EFB2  /pf3-supporter.gif

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I recently changed to V4.5 from FSX and my impression is that vectoring (to final) has become somewhat better and ATC doesn't send you around too much. I don't think much will change in V5 though.

However with Edit Voicepack Pro and the modifications found in the library, the whole experience is improved quite a lot if you can live with the well-known shortcomings.

Share this post


Link to post

Given that the issue you describe goes all the way back to FS2004 (released 17 years ago) and it's gone through one FS2004 update, FSX and its two updates, and now 4 versions of P3D I wouldn't hold out much hope. It's not of much use to the commercial/training industry that P3D is catered to and really only appeals to the casual enthusiast who isn't part of the EULA. When you're trying to train a specific procedure, an ATC program would just become noise you have to ignore.

Since they released Audio for VATSIM, VATSIM has been much more active than it used to be if you're looking for more realistic ATC. There's also IVAO, but I haven't used them in at least 15 years so I'm not sure how active they've been.


John Morgan

 

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Share this post


Link to post

Go with Radar Contact, it's also freeware.

Is there any advantage of the default ATC over it?

  • Upvote 1

Shom

[P3D v4.5 HF2 running on Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, EVGA 1080Ti, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[FSLabs A320, PMDG 737 NGXu, PMDG 777, AS CRJ Pro, CS 757 iii, Fly The Maddog X, Majestic Dash 8, QW 787, TFDI 717, AS Airbus ProFeelthere E175/195 v3]

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shomron said:

Is there any advantage of the default ATC over it?

Simplicity and habit. 😉
And the quality of voices.


Rafal Haczek

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Rafal said:

Simplicity and habit. 😉
And the quality of voices.

Just take RC4 and add the " meatwater " voices. They are all re-sampled and far more realistic.


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as P3D home. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Way to drive yourself crazy, use default ATC for IFR. 

What would you recommend? Most of the ATC programs I've seen are for heavy metal. I fly small GA aircraft. Suggestions very much welcome!

Share this post


Link to post

This thread in the P3D forum is a great attempt at getting LM's attention concerning ATC issues, with lots of great feedback:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=133127

 LM may be listening, but its been way long past time for action for basic correct functionality and bug fixes. 

No doubt its a BIG job and the AI Traffic goes hand-n-hand, but ATC is much more important than VR, PBR or DX12 in a flight simulator.

And all-the-while the ATC add-on's suffer too. RC4.3 cannot control ground traffic, ProATC suffers with VFR and/or IFR visual approaches, etc. etc...and if the answer could be VATSIM then all could be well, but coverage suffers.

ATC is vital and it needs help across the board, and for the life of me I cannot understand why it remains on the back burner all this time (since FS2002!).

...but we have PBR... wowwee🤮 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

What would you recommend? Most of the ATC programs I've seen are for heavy metal. I fly small GA aircraft. Suggestions very much welcome!

I use Pilot2ATC for everything (IFR/VFR/big iron/GA). 

In my opinion though, the default ATC isn't terrible for VFR.  the only major problem with the default ATC in VFR, is that I was never able to really learn the phraseology until I got Pilot2ATC.  Everyone's mind works differently though.   Some people may see VFR phrases in default ATC or ProATC or similar, and pick it all up quickly.  And I suppose too, if you don't care about learning what to say, it doesn't matter.  A person could then get along fine selecting items from a menu, like default ATC has, in VFR flying.


Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Mace said:

I use Pilot2ATC for everything (IFR/VFR/big iron/GA). 

In my opinion though, the default ATC isn't terrible for VFR.  the only major problem with the default ATC in VFR, is that I was never able to really learn the phraseology until I got Pilot2ATC.  Everyone's mind works differently though.   Some people may see VFR phrases in default ATC or ProATC or similar, and pick it all up quickly.  And I suppose too, if you don't care about learning what to say, it doesn't matter.  A person could then get along fine selecting items from a menu, like default ATC has, in VFR flying.

I'm a pilot, so phraseology isn't a problem. I suppose it will depend on what works with v5 come Tuesday. I have P2ATC but I never really used it. Maybe I should give it another go. It just seemed very cumbersome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, mtr75 said:

I'm a pilot, so phraseology isn't a problem. I suppose it will depend on what works with v5 come Tuesday. I have P2ATC but I never really used it. Maybe I should give it another go. It just seemed very cumbersome. 

It is a little cumbersome.  I actually started using it, then gave up because of the cumbersome interface and quirks it has.  Then later, I got back into it, and eventually was able to tolerate P2ATC's various oddities.  Once that was done, I did/do enjoy using it.

I plan to run dual installs, i.e. I'm keeping my v4 install for a while, anyway, while I run v5 at the same time.


Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Mace said:

It is a little cumbersome.  I actually started using it, then gave up because of the cumbersome interface and quirks it has.  Then later, I got back into it, and eventually was able to tolerate P2ATC's various oddities.  Once that was done, I did/do enjoy using it.

I plan to run dual installs, i.e. I'm keeping my v4 install for a while, anyway, while I run v5 at the same time.

How is it for GA IFR? I don't really care about VFR, the native ATC doesn't bother me for that. But for IFR it's useless. So basically I'm just looking for IFR in an Arrow and light twins. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

What would you recommend? Most of the ATC programs I've seen are for heavy metal. I fly small GA aircraft. Suggestions very much welcome!

I fly GA 100% of the time and have been using PF3 for over 2 years. 


PF3 Beta Tester

Bob Cardone        P3D 3,4       FlyVirtual.net   Aivlasoft EFB2  /pf3-supporter.gif

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, pracines said:

This thread in the P3D forum is a great attempt at getting LM's attention concerning ATC issues, with lots of great feedback:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6306&t=133127

 LM may be listening, but its been way long past time for action for basic correct functionality and bug fixes. 

No doubt its a BIG job and the AI Traffic goes hand-n-hand, but ATC is much more important than VR, PBR or DX12 in a flight simulator.

And all-the-while the ATC add-on's suffer too. RC4.3 cannot control ground traffic, ProATC suffers with VFR and/or IFR visual approaches, etc. etc...and if the answer could be VATSIM then all could be well, but coverage suffers.

ATC is vital and it needs help across the board, and for the life of me I cannot understand why it remains on the back burner all this time (since FS2002!).

...but we have PBR... wowwee🤮 

 

VoxATC

  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX2080Ti

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    34%
    $8,535.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...