Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

P3Dv5 Excessive vRam usage

1 hour ago, mikealpha said:

The whole discussion makes me wonder how Microsoft will handle that in FS2020, as they might also have to use DX12. They probably have to cope with even more default data. And then on top of that, how much VRAM will be left for Addons, or how many Addons will FS2020 be able to deal with ?

MSF is developed in DX11. 

Whether they migrate to DX12 in the future remains to be seen.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

LOL Yea I feel your pain. I had a few words with them myself but feeling a little sheepish right now.

Ya, I'm man enough to admit when I am wrong. The LM forums are a flaming dumpster fire. 

Eric 

59 minutes ago, cannow said:

any issue with vram is purely a p3d issue

Uhh, no. If you run XP11, you can also max out the VRAM on an 8GB GPU. It's the settings!. If you're approaching 6.5 GB VRAM usage with an 8 GB card, then turn down any settings such as maximum texture size, that influence VRAM usage. I'm sure that there will be more than one thread here in the future about a "tweak" that works miracles. Most Win 10 installations running at 4K will boot up using 700 to 1000 MB VRAM. Other apps with 3D graphics will use a bit more. I have no idea whether LM either just decided on 1.5 GB VRAM as a sensible amount of headroom or that's what's actually being used dynamically by everything else other than P3d5.

Disclaimer: I do not have P3d5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Uhh, no. If you run XP11, you can also max out the VRAM on an 8GB GPU. It's the settings!. If you're approaching 6.5 GB VRAM usage with an 8 GB card, then turn down any settings such as maximum texture size, that influence VRAM usage. I'm sure that there will be more than one thread here in the future about a "tweak" that works miracles. Most Win 10 installations running at 4K will boot up using 700 to 1000 MB VRAM. Other apps with 3D graphics will use a bit more. I have no idea whether LM either just decided on 1.5 GB VRAM as a sensible amount of headroom or that's what's actually being used dynamically by everything else other than P3d5.

On that note is there a list somewhere of which settings effect VRAM the most?  Right now in V4 I have a good balance and can maintain 25 FPS.  I have a feeling those same settings will put me well over the VRAM limit.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

13 minutes ago, Farlis said:

MSF is developed in DX11. 

Whether they migrate to DX12 in the future remains to be seen.

It's only in DX11 because they started making MSFS before DX12 was a thing. They did say in an interview they would probably look at DX12 after launch which makes sense. 

Edited by MattGarner

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

I was tired, so had a long nap this afternoon.  Folks, I simply can't quite believe what I am reading here, post after post, since I left off the computer around 10:00 am....  I am so sorry for us all, to be reading the crash and burn CTD vRam postings. 

Makes me sort of wonder...exactly WHAT will be needed to drive MSFS20...if this debacle is happening with DX12 V5.   So...the obvious question out there...is it EVERYTHING mostly to do with being parsed through DX12?  I wonder if MSFS20 will indeed still stay with a DX11 rendering...just to avoid this dumpster fire, as somebody else coined that phrase, in the M.S. Flight Simulator Forum ,come whenever later this year, or the next.  Yes, this is the P3D forum...but I can't believe that my thoughts here, are also not whipping around everybody else's mind on the above as well....

Wow...wow....:(

Ses 

3 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Yup, with 4.5HF2 I had finally gotten away from having different graphics presets for different sceneries/aircraft, but now that over-budget VRAM is causing CTD, I'll have to go back to presets for each airport to be sure, or accept the lowest settings that work at the most complex add-ons everywhere, which is a bummer

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

6 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Makes me sort of wonder...exactly WHAT will be needed to drive MSFS20...if this debacle is happening with DX12 V5.   So...the obvious question out there...is it EVERYTHING mostly to do with being parsed through DX12?  I wonder if MSFS20 will indeed still stay with a DX11 rendering...just to avoid this dumpster fire, as somebody else coined that phrase, in the M.S. Flight Simulator Forum ,come whenever later this year, or the next.  Yes, this is the P3D forum...but I can't believe that my thoughts here, are also not whipping around everybody else's mind on the above as well....

I did think that DX12 would give LM more options for automatically scaling things like LOD radius and texture resolution based on available VRAM and GPU cycles.  I recently installed Call of Duty Warzone on my other PC and watching it do it's LOD and texture rendering magic to keep the 'simulation' engine running without stutters is something to behold. Yes, you get some popping of trees and buildings off in the distance if you're flying the helo fast up high (which we get anyhow in the P3D), but the game/sim engine never misses a beat and it doesn't CTD when things get tough, it dynamically reduces its graphics processing load to live within system limitations.  When you're moving fast, textures and objects don't render to full resolution and the app appears smart enough to know when it needs to render at full resolution and when it doesn't.  I think I had my expectations a little too high for what DX12 meant for P3D.  I'm sure there are reasons why this type of common game development technique can't be employed for P3D, but I also hope that this is the type of tech that Asobo has at least explored for MSFS given they had more flexibility to build aspects of the sim from the ground up. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

I was going to buy v5 tomorrow, but after reading this thread I am not sure now.

Same here. My wife just gave me the OK for purchase but I think I will wait until a much later date. Especially since my mediocre GTX 1070 8GB card will not do the trick...

• Like 3

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

5 minutes ago, cwburnett said:

it dynamically reduces its graphics processing load to live within system limitations. 

I already suggested this to LM devs. Why you guys don't work with Beau who is responding questions and already has expressed their efforts in working the problem to avoid CTD?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136858

Give them data, and the will be able to provide a HF in no time..

They always have done such things in the past, they always respond and step up to address issues.

4 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

Same here. My wife just gave me the OK for purchase but I think I will wait until a much later date. Especially since my mediocre GTX 1070 8GB card will not do the trick...

If you don't fly 4k you will be fine! The issue is happening to users on 4k with high SSAA settings all P3D settings Maxed!

Simbol 

• Like 3

thanks simbol will also go over to LM to help

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

58 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

my mediocre GTX 1070 8GB card will not do the trick

Ah come on now!
1070 still ranks around #35 in GPU benchmark tests, hardly mediocre.

There are people running GTX 970 and 980s and enjoying it.
There are also people with 2080 TIs running 8xSSAA at 4k and complaining.

You won't know until you try it. If you don't like it, get a refund under the 14-day return policy.

Edited by F737NG
  • Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Strange because I see users running MSAA having the same issues. Also 4K monitors are starting to be the norm. So I guess if your a V5 user you should avoid 4K. I guess users will have to invest in a 3080 series in the future, LOL

• Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

I already suggested this to LM devs. Why you guys don't work with Beau who is responding questions and already has expressed their efforts in working the problem to avoid CTD?

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=136858

Give them data, and the will be able to provide a HF in no time..

They always have done such things in the past, they always respond and step up to address issues.

I am working with Beau on two different issues on the LM site as we speak.  That's also why I started the poll here to gather more data for them, though there haven't been many/any responses.  I'm eagerly looking forward to a response/update from him on both my open issues. I'm sure they're slammed with issues right now since v5 has only been in the wild for 24 hours.

In fact, your link is to one of the threads I started over there 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Ah come on now!

There are people running GTX 970 and 980s and enjoying it.
There are also people with 2080 TIs running 8xSSAA at 4k and complaining.

You won't know until you try it. If you don't like it, get a refund under the 14-day return policy.

What is funny - it used to be 60 DAY return policy during p3d3.4 days.  What is up with 14 day return policy now.  People should remind LM of that.

That is drastic drop in days.

• Upvote 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)