Sign in to follow this  
haseen

Prepar3D v5 or MS FS 2020?

8 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I'm sorry but there is NO way someone will still prefer x-plane or P3D....I fly MSF2020 every day. 

Yeah, but there's no reason to bash XPlane or P3D, especially on a P3D forum. 😄  P3D still has a lot to recommend it, and there are still a lot of people not in the MSFS Alpha.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

13 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I'm sorry but there is NO way someone will still prefer x-plane or P3D....I fly MSF2020 every day. 

That is just your opinion.... you are not  it speaking on my behalf....

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

11 minutes ago, Le Français said:

As MSFS Alpha user Rob has a very good insight. I trust his levelheaded appraisal about MSFS more then anybody else.

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

Now that guys are breaking their NDA, well done, compliments on your bragging, this has ended up as a 'mine is better than yours,' competition.

I think the original poster's question has been answered.

Nothing new here..

Time for the bell to ring...empty the playground, School is now out!

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I'm still surprised how FS2020 in alpha stage can run more stable in terms of crashes than P3D in version 5 after several years of  continuous development...

• Like 1

Regards, Sebastian

1 hour ago, fly_edds said:

I'm still surprised how FS2020 in alpha stage can run more stable in terms of crashes than P3D in version 5 after several years of  continuous development...

• you are incorrect in your assumption
  • alpha users are miniscule compared to total p3d users
  • by nature, alphas are dumbed down to test specific features
  • you can only make that comparison after the full RTM of MS2020 is released.

I like what I see so far. I will buy it when it is released but there is a LOT of coding to be done between now and RTM. Hopefully they will be able to retain the things we like about what we are seeing but, as is too often the case, the RTM is sometimes almost a completely different program.

Bottom line - wait until the final RTM is released, only then will you have something to compare.

Vic

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, honanhal said:

No. I'm also not an MSFS tester. I fly P3D v4.

I genuinely don't think I'm being unfair here. Let me put it in these terms, leaving aside all the other factors (e.g. cost, addon compatibility, etc.) to make this as simple as possible. From what I've seen from others about P3D v5, if I buy it I can expect a range of possible outcomes from about 40% better than v4 (new clouds, better performance), to about 70% worse (crashes, errors, and worst of all, having to keep an eye on VRAM instead of just flying).

I think your information re: v5 is out of date.

There's a reason we are seeing a slew of releases for v5 this week. 

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Trying to keep in line with the thread title.

Remember guys, continuing technology has pushed each sim platform in different directions and each evolves at a different pace with varied objectives. I believe it is really impossible to make direct comparisons because there will always be user preference (and sometimes bias) in terms of scenery appearance, weather simulation, aircraft flight dynamics, special effects realism, airport interface, level of ATC and so much more. Then throw in different computer specs that run the sims with wide variability depending on settings. Many of us jump around sometimes from one sim to another sim platform because we like a particular update in terms of scenery type, frame rate, aircraft and scenery availability in the sim etc. No doubt, MSFS 2020 will pull many away from the other major sims as a result of the new technology, but we will always have a variety of sims because we enjoy what they offer at that particular time. Remember, FS2002 is still alive. 

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K

22 hours ago, haseen said:

Dear:

I presently use FS X Steam and P3D v4.5. I purchased most add-ons for P3D v4.5 and all set with it. Now P3D v5 had come out. May be after some time MSFS 2020 will be in the market. Now I am confused whether I should go for P3D v5 or MSFS 2020. Because it is costly to change a sim platform. Please suggest which one I should select if I go for a change.

Regards,
Haseen Ahmad.

I will get back to the OP’s excellent question as we are here to share.

When I read the P3D forum, with fellow simmers in search of the best simming experience, still exchanging infos on affinity masks, FFTF parameters, frame limiters, on how to avoid OOM, poundering whether they shouldn’t go to a 30Hz monitor or downclock their CPU, whether they should use or nor the only real v5 visual improvement (TS) and so on and so forth, I say this one is not for prime time for me. I also read old simmers like me whom I’ve learnt to trust be, lets say, « underenthusiastic » so far.

I am not interested in flight simulators innards. Been there, done that. I am interested in flying. I will stick to what I have specially my older faithful P3D still good for my GA flying and waiting for FS20 . I see with interest people with the same specs than me having a great experience in the alpha . Time will tell. Its only a few months now. Then I will make my choice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, Mace said:

I think your information re: v5 is out of date.

There's a reason we are seeing a slew of releases for v5 this week. 

One release we will not see is the Orbx freeware enhanced  airports, the hundreds of nice thingies scattered over North America and Europe. The big O has decided not to port them over v5. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, Dominique_K said:

One release we will not see is the Orbx freeware enhanced  airports, the hundreds of nice thingies scattered over North America and Europe. The big O has decided not to port them over v5. 

This has nothing to do with the original question..

Enough! Can you get back to topic!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

19 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The big O has decided not to port them over v5.

The "big O" had also decided not to port over Vector ... we all know the outcome.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

11 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I don't know how much VRAM you have, but if you have 8GB then you'll be fine unless you push the boundaries like I do which is exactly why I purchased a GPU with more VRAM (and I still don't max everything as I aim for sustainable 30 fps in all situations and add-on combinations).  In most cases if you enable Dynamic Texture Streaming, set texture size cap to 2048 x 2048 (I doubt you'll notice any difference between 2048 and 4096 on most assets), you'll have no problems with VRAM.  Stick with products listed as V5 compatible and have V5 installers.

Cheers, Rob.

Fair enough, although I've certainly read a lot of people with 8GB who have run out of VRAM. Maybe they're just "pushing the boundaries" a bit too much? In any case, this all sounds way too much for my taste like going back to the OOM era, which lasted for nearly a decade and which I thought v4 had finally laid to rest. For the last few years before v4 came out, I was always looking over my shoulder for the "OOM coming" chime. In hindsight, it's incredible I still enjoyed simming enough to keep at it, to be honest. I just have no desire to go back to that, however nice the clouds look (and they do look lovely).

So thanks. But I still think I'm going to sit this one out.

James

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JoeFackel said:

The "big O" had also decided not to port over Vector ... we all know the outcome.

Indeed but the economic prospect is less good. Orbx decision is not irrational even if I do not like it.  Updating the product mostly born from the good will and enthusiasm of one simmer who has passed away years ago, will be very labor intensive at a time when cashflow in the addon sector has dried up somewhat. If we see the hundreds of them updated it will take time and the FS20 clock is ticking. 

Anyway, as the OP refered to his addons when he requested that we help him to decide, we can say that on July, 1st updating the freeware airports is not in Orbx plan. 

• Like 1

Dominique

7 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Maybe they're just "pushing the boundaries" a bit too much?

Not "maybe", they did exactly that. It was already explained several times what is the difference between a DX11 and DX12 graphics engine.

NOBODY has to have out-of-VRAM if he just takes a tiny bit more care about his P3D settings, in exchange you get way better GPU utilization which frees up the CPU.

• Like 2

Signature3.png