Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

Is the Premium edition worth it? By X-Check

If Carenado is your benchmark then am sure you will be very happy. Good for you 🙂

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Apart from the fact that this video sounds more like an infomercial than a comparison, it contradicts itself, in claiming the included enhanced aircraft and airports are 'payware quality' each worth about 40 Dollars, but then states that the standard version is the one to go for. By that first claim, the Deluxe version would be worth the extra cash. Thus, like almost every YT video on the new MS sim, this one is largely clickbait bullsh*t, intended to garner channel views rather than offer any new insights.

This is why I have resisted the temptation to make a video review about the new sim on my own YT channel. Sure, it'd get me some views and probably some new subscribers too, but I'm not prepared to take the hit in terms of credibility and just plain old self-respect in doing that. It's embarrassing. I will make a vid about the new sim eventually, but that will be when the information is all there, upon release. Anything else up to that point is merely rehashing info that is already out there from official sources. Personally, I do think the new sim is worth it, since I bought the super-duper version, but I don't need this dude to tell me that, I can click on the main MS site for FS and read stuff, then make a decision based on this

Back with this video, among the many things I disagree with, is the statement that all the default aeroplanes in FSX are 'absolute garbage'. For a kick off, some of these are helicopters (not one, but three in fact), and there is literally no comparison to be made with the new sim in this regard, since it has no helicopters whatsoever, but our commentator for this vid studiously avoids mentioning this because he is intent solely on blowing sunshine up the @rse of the new sim instead of making a genuine feature comparison.

Then there are military and historic aeroplanes in FSX (some of which are also the choppers). so we can enjoy the DC-3, EH101, Bell 206, F/A-18, P-51, with many of these also having built-in features, scenery and missions specifically for them. Then there are the seaplanes/floatplanes/amphibians/skiplanes; the new sim does have an Icon amphibian, but there are certainly more of these types in FSX and these too enjoy dedicated features.

I recently ported the FSX F/A-18 into P3D V5 so I could compare it to the new payware DC Designs F/A-18, and whilst it isn't quite as pretty when parked up alongside a brand new PBR-textured payware version of an F/A-18, it stands up far better than we should really expect considering it is over a decade old, and if you don't believe me, check out my video review of that DC Designs F/A-18. Then there is the fact that there are some regional airliners in FSX by default, and this sector too is rather unrepresented in the new MS sim. Frankly, anyone who claims the default FSX Gumman G21A Goose is 'absolute garbage', has no idea what they are talking about; that thing still stands up well even today. If we also consider that you can quite frequently buy FSX in a sale on Steam for less than a tenner, this something any fair comparison should also consider, because for that money it is an absolute steal, not to mention making it less than a tenth of the price of the Deluxe version of the new sim and a sixth of the price of even the Standard version.

If we take this further and compare the new sim with P3D, almost all of the default aeroplanes in P3D are indeed payware quality, since they are ex-payware aircraft for the most part and in fact, some of the old FSX planes which are now included in the Steam Edition, were originally payware aircraft too, since they were part of the Acceleration Expansion. Additionally, the P3D sim has more realistic water physics modeled, so it almost certainly will beat the new MS sim in terms of water-physics during take-offs and landings for seaplanes, floatplanes, flying boats etc. So it's definitely not all one way traffic in terms of which sim offers more. Pricing-wise, the new MS edges it from P3D, but not by much, and particularly when we consider that P3D is ahead on all kinds of stuff such as thermal imaging simulation, VR support, Track-IR support, weaponry support for combat simulations, cross-network mission simulation, back-catalogue availability of add-ons, etc.

And let's not forget X-Plane here too. Personally, I'm not the biggest devotee of X-Plane; I always have bought the latest versions of X-Plane back to its earliest days, but that has been more about supporting it than because I'm a great fan of it. But what I will say about X-Plane is that it does manage a combination of good looks with good performance which is perhaps only rivaled by AeroFly FS V2, and that's a sim which isn't even included here in this comparison, which like P3D, is conspicuous by its absence. Not forgetting DCS World, which is also a bit of a looker and gets good performance, although with DCS, the comparison is harder to endorse.

What a comparison should also do, is compare performance option, both good and bad. The new MS sim is the winner here in one respect - that it will be on a console too, making it potentially cheaper to enjoy great performance - but back on PCs, for those not blessed with either the cash, or the inclination to spend it, or both which might allow them to possess a two grand PC, FSX-SE is still a very attractive proposition which will run well on a fairly modest PC as well as not costing an arm and a leg to acquire. Yet we see no comparison of this factor at all in this video.

As others have noted, the term 'payware quality' is fairly meaningless anyway. After all, the new AH Control-Ezy Pucara is a payware aeroplane, and that doesn't have a full VC. Now granted, this is a design choice for that product, but it nevertheless calls into question whether anything meaningful can be implied when people  say 'payware quality'. Are the FSL A320 and the Abacus Spitfire of equable quality? Nope, but nor are they the same in price either, so this is not a dig at Abacus either.

There can be little doubt the default aeroplanes in the new sim will indeed be a step up from what has gone before in versions of Flight Simulator, but the notion that these will equal things such as the Majestic Dash-8 Q400 and the FSL A320 is to say the very least, a bit of a stretch of credibility. This is not meant as a criticism of what Asobo have achieved, it simply comes down to the economics of focus, time and budgetary constraints on what can be done with a more shotgun approach to included aeroplanes rather than the focus a team can have when going for one craft in particular, although yes, expertise and skill of the development team will also be a factor.

None of this is intended to imply that I am of the opinion that the new sim is 'not worth it'. I bought the Deluxe Super-Duper version the moment I knew it was on sale, because it is obvious it is going to be a great flight sim and being into flight sims, I've bought pretty much every one there ever has been since the days of the Commodore 64. But this video is a bunch of ill thought out claptrap in its assessment of comparable features.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

We will see a lot of video in the coming weeks full of speculation trying to get that YT click money. The reality is that even all the alpha tester don't know how the retail version will be like.  We don't know even know if the build we had was old or new.  Default aircraft are always going to be serviceable. They will never go through in-depth simulation. I think everyone has to lower their expectation. For some it will be perfect, for others it will not be enough.

Edited by fogboundturtle

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I've paid US$ 63 (equivalent) for MSFS Premium, digital license. Taxes included!

😛🤙

56 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

I've paid US$ 63 (equivalent) for MSFS Premium, digital license. Taxes included!

😛🤙

Please do share how 

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

This video didn't solve the question for me: is it worth paying double for the Premium Deluxe version, instead of the Standard one? Or in my particular case: is it worth to pay double for just the B787 and maybe the Citation Longitude? I don't care about the other planes (not interested) or sceneries (I doubt my rig will be up to the task).

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

9 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

This video didn't solve the question for me: is it worth paying double for the Premium Deluxe version, instead of the Standard one?

Don't think about it being "double." Instead think of the different aircraft and airports as DLC (which is after all what they are)...

Premium has 10 more aircraft and 10 more highly detailed airports. For $60 additional cost, that works out to $3 each.

Assuming you only see two aircraft as being useful for you personally, then the cost per item is still a paltry $5 each!

Finally, if only the two aircraft are of value, then the difference is $30 each, still lower than the average FSX/P3D payware cost!

• Like 6

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

21 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Finally, if only the two aircraft are of value, then the difference is $30 each, still lower than the average FSX/P3D payware cost!

Interesting way of thinking: so far I'm convinced of the B787-10 (which costs $80 for FSX/P3D), without knowing how does it compare with the QualityWings one. If there's another plane or feature (such as the turboprop flight model in FS2002) I can't live with, I guess I'll have no choice but going for Premium Deluxe.

In the meantime, I'm signing in for Xbox Game Pass.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Apart from the fact that this video sounds more like an infomercial than a comparison, it contradicts itself, in claiming the included enhanced aircraft and airports are 'payware quality' each worth about 40 Dollars, but then states that the standard version is the one to go for. By that first claim, the Deluxe version would be worth the extra cash. Thus, like almost every YT video on the new MS sim, this one is largely clickbait bullsh*t, intended to garner channel views rather than offer any new insights.

I think you're way off the mark here. You acknowledge that he made a comparison to $40 planes but you still brought up the FSLabs A320 which costs over $130. The "study level" Majestic Q400 costs €100 so what are you getting at? He never made any claims about the default planes being at the level of something from FSLabs.

What you said about the FSX F-18 is an insult to the work ED has done on theirs, whether you're talking about graphics or functionality. Speaking of which, I thought the FSX planes were garbage back in 06. I remember blaming the blurry paint job of my Baron 58 on my GPU only to realize that's just how it was lol.

The guy did a good job of making his case. He never said the standard edition was the go to. He said depending on your needs it's either the premium or the standard.

• Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

On 3/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, GlideBy said:

I may be the only one here, but I don't plan on buying any 3rd party addons.  I don't need special planes, as the already announced planes will be fine for me.  And I don't buy scenery or airport packs. 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, LHookins said:

You need to spell it right:  aerocache

Here's one:

https://microsoft-flight.fandom.com/wiki/Aerocaches

Hook

Yes, I for one loved the hunt. I also contributed about 25 Aerocaches of my own to the game. As did many others. Probably a lot of people do not realize the entire FXS world was eventually available in the game with even more aerocaches to find.      

1 hour ago, canadiantree said:

Please do share how 

It´s because pricing policy is per region, as most multi national companies do. My MS account payment option is linked to a CC info that says "For purchases in Brazil". The CC is from a brazilian bank.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

I think you're way off the mark here.

You're entitled to think that if you like, and I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Honestly there are paid aircraft that are at a default level anddd they somehow sell .. so please someone explain to me how one can separate at this day and age paid quality from default aircraft ???? 
Remember that even if the flight deck is not complete the actual AC model may be a detailed AC that also puts it at a paid level work ... 

im happy with the prices so .... 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

7 hours ago, Chock said:

You're entitled to think that if you like, and I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. 🤣

I said a lot more than what you quoted and I think I did a good job of backing that up.

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.