Sign in to follow this  
suncoastflyer

Some new B-Roll footage/Gameplay

49 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

Several cities in Canada have photogrammetry. The Maps app for Windows 10 can show you which.

But all the ones you mentioned do have it, along with Ottawa.

Wow cool. I tried looking at the map but just in my browser and couldn’t figure it out. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I'll start with the worst news: If you want to get this game up to a 60 fps refresh rate, even at 1080p resolution, you're in for a bumpier ride than the "recommended specs" might suggest. The issue boils down to CPU optimizations that still need ironing out in the game's prerelease period. Most of what you'll find in the "graphics" settings menu relates to GPU-bound toggles, with the exception of a few "density" sliders for elements like clouds and ground terrain.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/ms-flight-simulator-our-yoke-on-look-at-new-features-gorgeous-flights/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I'll start with the worst news: If you want to get this game up to a 60 fps refresh rate, even at 1080p resolution, you're in for a bumpier ride than the "recommended specs" might suggest. The issue boils down to CPU optimizations that still need ironing out in the game's prerelease period. Most of what you'll find in the "graphics" settings menu relates to GPU-bound toggles, with the exception of a few "density" sliders for elements like clouds and ground terrain.

This is interesting, considering that in most tester screenshots we see the CPU not doing much with the GPU getting hammered. Sounds disappointing if that's the case, but it's good to hear that more optimisation is on the way, and the DirectX 12 update will offload CPU overhead even more.

• Like 1

BANDWIDTH?

Should you play MSFS online, the game will download a stream of data from Microsoft Azure to fill out any new regions you explore. As a hint of what you might expect, my primary testing rig streamed less than 10GB from Azure's servers in a 10-day span of testing the game's latest build, and this was spent pushing the game's limits by hopping to a variety of locales.

You can also assign a hard data cap within the game's menus. Once you reach your cap, the game will work solely with whatever cloud-based data it has already downloaded and otherwise procedurally generate any new places you fly until the start of a new month (or your preferred timing threshold). This is also how the game works if you play it wholly offline.

• Upvote 1

But even turning these settings down sometimes failed to move the needle on my testing rig, an i7-8700K CPU overclocked to 4.9GHz and an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti, both humming on an NVME SSD and 32GB of DDR4-3000 RAM. You'd expect a system like this to clear 60 fps at "low" settings, 1080p resolution, on something like a flight simulator, right? In fact, you might think this was the kind of machine you'd throw at a 4K display?

Unfortunately, depending on the part of the world I flew in, I ran into frame rates that could drop into the 10s, sometimes even before my plane took off, even after yanking settings down to sub-1080p resolution and "low" or "lowest" options across the board. (I rebooted my system and disabled all background apps and any monitoring apps like MSI Afterburner or RTSS, to make sure this wasn't the fault of something on my end.) Adjusting those settings from highest to lowest would sometimes only recover 4-5 fps, which doesn't line up with how much fidelity is gained or lost when making those changes.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, AimHawk said:

Proper A320 flight with detailed cockpit overview

Nice V2 at 180 knots 🙂 And I don’t think that’s a pilot issue.

1 hour ago, AimHawk said:

Proper A320 flight with detailed cockpit overview 

The runway is actually bumpy!!

The A320NEO looks Aerosoft level which is all I want! Working FMGS and Autopilot and basic systems. Giddy up!

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

4 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Not so fast. Realistic expectations, people.

Was always going to punt it when this was out. I'm over the ugly clunker you can stick around with it.

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

43 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

But even turning these settings down sometimes failed to move the needle on my testing rig, an i7-8700K CPU overclocked to 4.9GHz and an overclocked RTX 2080 Ti, both humming on an NVME SSD and 32GB of DDR4-3000 RAM. You'd expect a system like this to clear 60 fps at "low" settings, 1080p resolution, on something like a flight simulator, right? In fact, you might think this was the kind of machine you'd throw at a 4K display?

Unfortunately, depending on the part of the world I flew in, I ran into frame rates that could drop into the 10s, sometimes even before my plane took off, even after yanking settings down to sub-1080p resolution and "low" or "lowest" options across the board.

Several worrying reports on performance from these press releases, indeed. Let's wait 3 weeks for widespread reports from paying customers. In any case, I hope there will still be a good room for optimization.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yikes, the IGN guys landed on the taxiway at Las Vegas McCarran. At least the real flight-sim content providers at least delivered more realistic takeoffs and landings!

Darryl

13 minutes ago, SP2472 said:

Yikes, the IGN guys landed on the taxiway at Las Vegas McCarran. At least the real flight-sim content providers at least delivered more realistic takeoffs and landings!

Darryl

These guys are responsible for delivering the first wide spread reviews of the sim lmao.

1 minute ago, Kopteeni said:

These guys are responsible for delivering the first wide spread reviews of the sim lmao.

The IGN pilot apologized in the comments and said he doesn't think IGN has a lot of pilots sitting around. To be honest, he did good for someone who has never been in the simulated flight deck of an aircraft, let alone an airbus.

I'm surprised he found Vegas at all. He came 320 feet from leaving an imprint in the side of a mountain though; I don't even think he noticed, lol.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.