Sign in to follow this  
Gadget FPV

Any Updates from Rex Simulations?

5 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'm not going to add to the attacks on REX's timelines as I think that 3rd party flightsim developers have enough to worry about without users ranting about their products. REX's competitor HiFi is in the same leaky boat. MSFS has created turmoil in the 3pd market and not in a good way.

I don't think anyone here is ranting here. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite - feedback provided in a positive manner in the hope that it will help a 3PD. That feedback has been rejected along with any other Avsim feedback apparently(!), no great drama though.

HiFi is in a bit of a different situation here. They've shown over several years that they can adapt to the moving target that is P3D. Updates are super-fast after each hotfix and point release. 

I think you're not using EA/Truesky, but I do for every flight and it's likely to become the new, widely-adopted standard after the 5.1 release. EA means there's no need for PTA/shader mods or cloud texture programs (like Skyforce), but there's still a need for a quality weather engine. HiFi provide that with ASP3D right now, and it's become the preferred option for most P3D simmers.

The functionality of ASP3D is already much better than anything you get with MSFS currently - historical weather works brilliantly - so I don't see HiFi becoming redundant any time soon.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Welcome to 2020 flight sim developers and third party devs who do not do what the simmer want`s is there to be shot at, 20 years ago we were thankful that Dev`s supported our hobby.  

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

I think you're not using EA/Truesky,

You might want to check my posts regarding trueSky. I think that it's great that HiFi produced a limited beta that works with it. But my point was really about the market chaos that MSFS created. That disruption even spilled over onto the P3d5 sector where LM also rushed version 5 out the door in an attempt to head off the inevitable defections to MSFS.

But back to HiFi. They also produced a version of Active Sky for XP11 with a disclaimer that the sim had many limitations which prevented the development of a robust weather add-on.  I think that REX made the same determination regarding P3d5's "early access" inclusion of trueSky and decided to wait for a better implementation, rather than waste  resources on creating an additional branch in their software.

14 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I never understood the switch to Discord. Discord is truly an awful medium for product technical support. It's just a bunch of disconnected posts that may be great for communicating while gaming, but that's pretty much the extent of its usefulness. Whether the switch was done to save money or not, that's the impression that I got. A forum costs bucks to maintain and discord is basically free. You get exactly what you pay for.

I'm not going to add to the attacks on REX's timelines as I think that 3rd party flightsim developers have enough to worry about without users ranting about their products. REX's competitor HiFi is in the same leaky boat. MSFS has created turmoil in the 3pd market and not in a good way. MSFS has some substantial flaws and had Asobo released it with a viable SDK, REX, HiFi and a whole lot of other developers would have jumped at the chance to fix what's broken. It's becoming increasing clear to me that Asobo bit off a lot more than they can chew. Whether it was the "early" release of MSFS or some other directive from MS to hinder the 3rd party developers, it doesn't really matter at this point. I'm committed to MSFS for the long haul, but the warts are starting to become somewhat irritating, as we see that Asobo is more interested in the casual simmer. I guess that we should have expected that as a result.

THIS ^^^^^

Had major install issues with SF and only found a solution by searching the old REX Forums (before they shut down)...

I will not risk another purchase without forum support!

and....

I have no desire to use Discord for support at all!!!!

Edited by Kilo60

Chris Camp

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You might want to check my posts regarding trueSky

Sorry, was thinking of another long-term forum member who is using v5 without EA/Truesky. Had not had my morning coffee yet when I wrote that! 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

22 hours ago, rstough said:

The communication has not been scant.

Here is a list of our posts related to P3D v5 support since its release:

5/12 - 1st email blast went out to all customers on file about P3D v4.5 support and P3D v5 support and direction

5/15 - 1st post on Discord about P3D v4.5 and P3D v5 compatibility as well as on social media and website

7/6 - 2nd post on Discord and Social media about P3D v5 compatibility updates

7/14 - 2nd email blast with update on P3D v5 compatibility went out to all customers

8/3 - 3rd post on Discord and social media about update with P3D v5 combability

8/31 - 4th post on Discord and social media - small update on developments

9/8 - 5th post on Discord and social media about progress on P3D v5 compatibility

Not sure where we are not keeping everyone in the loop with things or being transparent.  We made it clear in August we put all development on hold and the reason why and that we will be ramping up again shortly.

Highly disappointing to see you take this defensive and somewhat combative posture. You were a great force in the flightsim world, I fear your attitude now may be your undoing.

My entire point was that you don't listen to your customers, and your so called communication hasn't really contained much information at all.

I'm sorry to say that from viewing your attitude to your loyal customers in this thread, I have made the decision that I will not be supporting your company in the future and will not purchase any more REX products. A huge shame.

• Like 2

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

53 minutes ago, severniae said:

Highly disappointing to see you take this defensive and somewhat combative posture. You were a great force in the flightsim world, I fear your attitude now may be your undoing.

My entire point was that you don't listen to your customers, and your so called communication hasn't really contained much information at all.

I'm sorry to say that from viewing your attitude to your loyal customers in this thread, I have made the decision that I will not be supporting your company in the future and will not purchase any more REX products. A huge shame.

Exactly what I wrote too.....I think his reaction is really harming REX Products. 

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

1 hour ago, severniae said:

I think the whole tone here has been taken way too far by a few that are trying to fan a flame.

I was clearly correcting mis-information about us NOT communicating with our customers.  I just provided evidence to show what we have been communicating all this time.  

In regards to not listening to our customers is just a flat wrong assumption. 

We do listen to our customers. But what I am sharing is that the posts here at AVSIM, DO NOT reflect the masses we engage with everyday via Discord, Social Media, and through Support.  The opinions expressed here are important to us, but we have to weight them against opinion vs rant vs what is real.  

• Upvote 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

fs2020 has disrupted or even wrecked some folks business models, especially wx and texture add-ons. I think a little diplomacy and consideration is in order even though some dubious decisions are perceived to have been made. 

2 minutes ago, rstough said:

I think the whole tone here has been taken way too far by a few that are trying to fan a flame.

I was clearly correcting mis-information about us NOT communicating with our customers.  I just provided evidence to show what we have been communicating all this time.  

In regards to not listening to our customers is just a flat wrong assumption. 

We do listen to our customers. But what I am sharing is that the posts here at AVSIM, DO NOT reflect the masses we engage with everyday via Discord, Social Media, and through Support.  The opinions expressed here are important to us, but we have to weight them against opinion vs rant vs what is real.  

Reed. Thanks for replying. I will watch the next 2 or 3 months if something is changing the way I would catch up the "REX Train" again. 

For now, it does seem to take way to much time.

I really wish you al the best. I do not see anyone "ranting" here. IF you would read "between" the lines a lot of common sense can be recognized as well a lot of "hints" and "requirements" wich you COULD catch up, review and prioritize them, or "flush down the toilet" and let it be (as it was also the last 12 months).

I have a "golden rule" for myself, as a business analyst (my profession), before "blaming" the customers step out of your own role and try to see, I mean really try to see (let all emotions out of sight), what your customer really wants. Make proposals and let them be a part of your ideas and development processes. Rather less products, less functions and smaller updates always does the trick.

Regards, Marcus

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Folks,

It's been stated many times throughout this thread that our support channel is through Discord, but that's not true. We don't offer support via Discord. We offer support via our ticketing system. Discord is only used for communication purposes, as is our website and our social media channels. 

If you require support, Discord is not the place for that, rather please see the following: http://rexsimulations.com/support.html

Edited by timest

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

That may be so, but the vast majority of users prefer to start with user to user support rather than bothering the developer for a problem that might be common to many users. Discord is pretty much worthless for user to user support. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That may be so, but the vast majority of users prefer to start with user to user support rather than bothering the developer for a problem that might be common to many users. Discord is pretty much worthless for user to user support. 

Interesting point.

• Like 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That's it is all about. Big developers like REX should provide a user to user support forum where developers may chime in from time to time if necessary. Most developers do this. For me this has become an essential criterion for purchase. No support forum no purchase!

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Exactly.

When i have a problem i search the forums of my choice for solutions, that will to the trick 90% of the time. One out of ten times i have to post a new thread because i can't find a solution.

And only if that all fails i will contact the dev support itself. The average may be 99 problems i can solve with forums/google and only the 100th i have to bother the dev itself.

Forums are a HUGE knowledge database. Discord is just a black hole for infos.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png