Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Flight Simulator 2020 Graphics Issues: An In-Depth Analysis

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Straight out of Independence Day.... Just waiting for the nose of the mothership to poke through.......

Like we're mostly used to clouds on Earth but if some aliens showed up and saw them for the first time they would really confused by the ridiculousness of clouds. Like what even are they.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Valid points. I think I saw an 'Ambient Occlusion' setting in the menu in a video, don't remember if it was a toggle switch or an amount setting. If the latter that's one issue solved already.

Hey ... he didn't even mention the blocked bridges, or the sunken boats, or the lack of water splash effects around boats or an landing water plane.

I bet Asobo is aware of all of these issues. Maybe some are solvavble without a major frame rate hit. Qnd for the rest ... just think ahead ... 5 years from now we have Intel i15 processors and nVidia 6000 series video cards! 

• Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

37 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

Valid points. I think I saw an 'Ambient Occlusion' setting in the menu in a video, don't remember if it was a toggle switch or an amount setting. If the latter that's one issue solved already.

It is a quality setting like most of the others, and it goes up to Ultra.

38 minutes ago, RudyB24 said:

5 years from now we have Intel i15 processors and nVidia 6000 series video cards! 

I think it's more likely that Intel will still be struggling to sort out their 7nm process in 5 years from now. Shame that their foundry appears to have totally dropped the ball.

1 hour ago, RudyB24 said:

Off, low, medium, high and ultra. Which highlights the dangers of a review possibly missing the forest for the trees.......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

56 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Off, low, medium, high and ultra. Which highlights the dangers of a review possibly missing the forest for the trees.......

Shhhh! Don't mention the "T" word!🤐

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Well done video pointing .. Valid points presented in a non biased way.

I think most of us know the sim is not perfect. If i cant notice patterns in the clouds without drawing lines on my screen I think Im ok...   what i mean is these issues only really stand out (mostly) if you are looking for them.. and even then I can forgive them.  . I have faith that the sim and the technology around it will improve.. and also that I know if FS20  never got improved from the preview version, I would still feel like $59.99 is a bargain for it.  

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

I was only 10 when fs2000 came out and 12 when fs2002 came and so and so forth. With that said, I was so excited to get a new sim. 

I gotta ask though, was it this bad when these Sims in there past were released? The constant not picking disguised as constructive criticism. The constant "it doesn't have cuz so therefore it's not good enough" garbage. 

I'm genuinely curious.

The phrase, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" has been coming to mind a lot lately.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

9 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Well I am glad he did not do one for P3D out of the box, it would be 12 hours long, talk about nick picking....dear me.

Tiling on the clouds he wants to see EA Beta in P3Dv5 lol, comparing Red dead redemption is a joke, that world is a fraction of the size.....

Sorry I thought that vid was terrible and for years we have turn off traffic as its a FPS killer I can cope with a few hick ups for the gain of having good looking traffic.

The only point I agreed with was the appearance of cirrus clouds.

Look who's nit picking....

Waiting for your in-depth video analyses.

Says the guy that had to make a topic just because he deleted his sim /clap. /roll eyes 
“My analysis” is that am very grateful for what am getting on the 18th you must be as well as you needed to tell the world you have deleted your old sim. Personally I think it’s a bit soon for picking faults because we have 2 shadows in St Marks Square. 
constructive criticism Is always good, but personally since MSFS is not even out and giving the huge leap it is over any other sim out of the box then It might be a bit soon to be picking faults that am sure the team are aware off. They probably know a lot more of them that what he found.

Personally I think the positives out way the faults by a landslide. So let’s all get flying and enjoy what we have first. 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

7 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Off, low, medium, high and ultra.

Ah, so there's a 5 position switch for Ambient Occlusion.

Maybe one of the testers, if he/she agrees it's indeed a bit exaggerated on ultra (btw, I'm not aware if we have (m)any female flight sim hobbyists among us?), can put a change request in the reporting system in the category 'cosmetic' to tone down AC a bit? 

I think these are all valid points and he could even have added some more. I like that he presents it in a constructive way. My only criticism would be that he reviews a beta and not the finished product. But then again these issues will probably not be ironed out by next week. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

8 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I think it's more likely that Intel will still be struggling to sort out their 7nm process in 5 years from now. Shame that their foundry appears to have totally dropped the ball.

Yeah, they are in deep trouble right now, AMD is starting to get ahead. It's strange Intel can`t get their 7nm yields up, they were one of the initial companies investing and working together with ASML on the EAV technology. Somewhere it went South ... I bet some 'heads will roll'.

But then we"ll probably have the AMD 7000 series. Some day we'll get our frame rates where we want them without putting the PC in the freezer. 🙂

2 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

Yeah, they are in deep trouble right now, AMD is starting to get ahead. It's strange Intel can`t get their 7nm yields up, they were one of the initial companies investing and working together with ASML on the EAV technology. Somewhere it went South ... I bet some 'heads will roll'.

But then we"ll probably have the AMD 7000 series. Some day we'll get our frame rates where we want them without putting the PC in the freezer. 🙂

Their 10nm process was a failure due to ambition (better density than TSMC's 7nm in 2015/2016, not a chance) and some mismanagement along the way, and after the 7nm difficulties were announced, they fired the person responsible for overseeing 10nm and 7nm development. Unless they sort this out within two years, I can see AMD dominating for the foreseeable future. At least it doesn't seem like they're slowing down even with Intel not providing competition, they've already taped out Zen 4 (and Navi 31) on TSMC's 5nm. The next few years should be very exciting for hardware.

6 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I was only 10 when fs2000 came out and 12 when fs2002 came and so and so forth. With that said, I was so excited to get a new sim. 

I gotta ask though, was it this bad when these Sims in there past were released? The constant not picking disguised as constructive criticism. The constant "it doesn't have cuz so therefore it's not good enough" garbage. 

I'm genuinely curious.

The phrase, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" has been coming to mind a lot lately.

The thing I’m bearing in mind is that the people anal enough to bang on about very small inconsequential details, seem to be vanishingly small in comparison to the wave of optimism that seems to washing over this sim from a (surprisingly?) large proportion of ‘gamers’. On all the main gaming websites there is a lot of talk about how this is the first convincing look at the next generation of video games. I expect quite a lot of that group will diminish relatively quickly because I don’t think there has been much attention on keeping people engaged who aren’t already flight sim nerds (which I understand, and is fine).