Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Obsidiant ant plays MSFS on lowest spec machine

I would have loved to have got those sorts of low framerates when I first tried FS9 and FSX! And I would have had nothing like the immersive benefits this sim can provide. As I am now fortunate to have a setup not too far short of Ideal in most areas (Ryzen 5 3600; 5700XT [8GB]; 32GB 3600 - and room to double that; 2x 1TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, 38Mbs), I feel I am in for a very pleasant start without too much compromising.👍

• Like 3

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

The RAM and GPU are closer to the recommended specification, but it is refreshing to see a video recorded on more of an average PC. It's good that this quad-core CPU doesn't seem to be getting hammered, but sadly it appears there are some performance issues specific with Polaris cards. The GTX 1060 in the Digital Foundry video was performing a lot better at Medium despite being very similar to the RX 580. They've got some work to do with AMD.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty

I’d have to imagine that frame rate while above NYC would be notably worse if OA was using 8g of RAM (from the minimum specs) instead of 16g...

Interesting video. My system should be able to run this at High no problem I'm thinking. I have a i7 7700, 16gb ram and a GTX 1080.

• Like 1

Also important to note that he's recording while demonstrating FPS, which usually decreases performance.

I'm optimistic that my i7-6700 and GTX 1070 with 32GB ram will be able to run this moderately at high settings with my 4k monitor 🙂 Hoping performance is at least comparable to X-Plane 11.

• Like 2

In what universe are the specs of his machine close to the minimum specs?

They're not even remotely like it. He's got way more VRAM than the minimum spec, on a better GPU, there's twice as much mainboard RAM as the minimum spec, and it's got a better CPU as well, so the chances are the motherboard is a better one as well.

It's interesting to see how it runs on the machine he has, but that's nowhere near the published MS min spec at all.

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Does anyone know what performance monitoring tool is he using in that videi?  I have not seen that overlay before and it looks interesting.  But then again, I don't get out much...

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Id like to see more.. hopefully someone else with a press preview and some old parts decides to do a similar video (hopefully they have an nvidia GPU and records on a different system) 

I am a big fan of obsidianant's content and this video is very useful but id like to see someone else try. I honestly would expect the system he used do a tad bit better. may be the amd gpu as stated earlier.

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

1 hour ago, FlyingInACessna said:

Also important to note that he's recording while demonstrating FPS, which usually decreases performance.

As one who makes videos, this point can not be underestimated. You can have perfectly smooth frame rates with no screen recording. Start screen recording on a 4K monitor and performance decreases. Just be aware of evaluating performance from videos using screen capture in the background.

• Like 2

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

37 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

Does anyone know what performance monitoring tool is he using in that videi?  I have not seen that overlay before and it looks interesting.  But then again, I don't get out much...

looks like MSI Afterburner- works with any card

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Edited by joec63
  • Upvote 1

Semper Fi 

3 hours ago, Lotharen said:

Interesting video. My system should be able to run this at High no problem I'm thinking. I have a i7 7700, 16gb ram and a GTX 1080.

Trust me, you won't have any problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lotharen said:

You'll be fine.  If you do fancy a slight upgrade, I'd go from 16 to 32GB of RAM.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well, I have a 5 year old beater-PC. For shits and giggles, I might just try and see whether I can get framerates in the double digits.

i5 processor, 8 gigs of system ram, 4 gig videocard, an old and cranky harddrive that hisses and puffs like a geriatric chain smoker climbing stairs, ha ha ha. 

Edited by Ricardo41

22 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Well, I have a 5 year old beater-PC. For shits and giggles, I might just try and see whether I can get framerates in the double digits.

i5 processor, 8 gigs of system ram, 4 gig videocard, an old and cranky harddrive that hisses and puffs like a geriatric chain smoker climbing stairs, ha ha ha. 

Going for two today are we?

ObsidianAnt's lower-end PC (1) and yours (2) are both similar but I think yours has his bested (or worsted?) for low-end.  Take the ram to 16 and it might get by for a little while on the low setting at 1080p.

Edited by Mace

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB