Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Regular GTX 1080 enough to play in 4k?

1 minute ago, joec63 said:

What's the specs on your new system -  Did you go with AMD CPU  ?   That's what I need to figure out for my next system build this winter.  Intel or AMD

I7 10700k @ 5ghz, 32gb ram, 2x 1tb nvme, msi 2080 super 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, micstatic said:

even with a 2080ti I'm seeing people struggle with 4k.  My personal opinion is no 4k for now.  Then we can re-evaluate when the newest graphic cards come out later this year.  Then again I've seen videos where people seem personally content with frames dancing around in the teens.  But I think 4k is not a good option unless we can maintain 30 everywhere. 

4k @ 30 fps can be maintained everywhere with a 2080 ti, with my 2080 super, I get 30-35 fps in the big jets @nyc and lax on high settings. 50 - 60 everywhere else, especially in the smaller planes 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, devgrp said:

4k @ 30 fps can be maintained everywhere with a 2080 ti, with my 2080 super, I get 30-35 fps in the big jets @nyc and lax on high settings. 50 - 60 everywhere else, especially in the smaller planes 

you must have some really low settings then?  Here is an example supporting why I believe 4k is not practical in MSFS with current gen tech

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Is there a side by side comparison of 2K v 4K video anywhere? As personally I struggle to notice the difference myself.

1 minute ago, micstatic said:

you must have some really low settings then?  Here is an example supporting why I believe 4k is not practical in MSFS with current gen tech

I just said Im running high settings lol. I flew last night @ 4k and everywhere I went my frames were 50-60 with GA planes. 

Only thing I changed was set trees to med and lens flare off. I'm expecting perf to be better since we are running beta that will be optimized for the final release 

sorry missed that about your settings.  Could just be because you are only running GA planes.  take care. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4k simply looks best, and with the right hardware it can run buttersmooth.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, joec63 said:

What's the specs on your new system -  Did you go with AMD CPU  ?   That's what I need to figure out for my next system build this winter.  Intel or AMD

It's not scientific in any way, but reading through various forums, my impression is that the sim is currently not as well optimized for AMD vs Intel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joec63 said:

NO 4K -  i7- 9700K, GTX1080, 32GB RAM - I can run it 3440x 1440 with High settings  , If I drop to 1080P I can run at Ultra . My goal is smooth so your mileage may vary.

thanks for that data point, my specs are similar (except I have 64GB RAM).

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have a 1070 running on a five-year-old i7. I have no problem running the sim at 4K and getting good performance. What's usually overlooked -- or unknown -- to many who comment here is that 30FPS on the new sim looks and feels like 50-60FPS on P3D or X-Plane. The new sim works in a very different way. So you can't really compare FPS alone and come up with a meaningful assessment. Also, as others have mentioned, merely setting the Render Scaling from 100 to 80 makes a huge difference in frame rates without affecting visual quality in any perceptible way. A lot of the videos I've seen over the past few weeks were hastily posted (to beat other YouTubers to the punch) without adequately exploring the graphics settings. The 747 landing at JFK, for example, obviously had the Road Traffic set to 100. I've never seen so many cars in my life! As in the past, this maxed-out road traffic is a frame killer. My point is this: Once you explore and learn how the graphics options interact with your own hardware, you'll have no problem running a 1080 or a 1070 at 4K. I personally use the High settings, which is one notch below Ultra, but again there is almost no appreciable difference between High and Ultra -- and I use a 75" 4K TV and sit very close to it. Even if you run MSFS2020 at only 1920x1080 and use the Low settings as well, the sim still looks about a billion times better than P3D or X-Plane.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

36 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I have a 1070 running on a five-year-old i7. I have no problem running the sim at 4K and getting good performance. What's usually overlooked -- or unknown -- to many who comment here is that 30FPS on the new sim looks and feels like 50-60FPS on P3D or X-Plane. The new sim works in a very different way. So you can't really compare FPS alone and come up with a meaningful assessment. Also, as others have mentioned, merely setting the Render Scaling from 100 to 80 makes a huge difference in frame rates without affecting visual quality in any perceptible way. A lot of the videos I've seen over the past few weeks were hastily posted (to beat other YouTubers to the punch) without adequately exploring the graphics settings. The 747 landing at JFK, for example, obviously had the Road Traffic set to 100. I've never seen so many cars in my life! As in the past, this maxed-out road traffic is a frame killer. My point is this: Once you explore and learn how the graphics options interact with your own hardware, you'll have no problem running a 1080 or a 1070 at 4K. I personally use the High settings, which is one notch below Ultra, but again there is almost no appreciable difference between High and Ultra -- and I use a 75" 4K TV and sit very close to it. Even if you run MSFS2020 at only 1920x1080 and use the Low settings as well, the sim still looks about a billion times better than P3D or X-Plane.

Thanks for the tips. I have a 49" ish 4k tv for flightsim so this scaling thing might be my solution on my I7-4770K@4,6 1080TI FTW3 32GB.

Michael Moe

• Like 1

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

47 minutes ago, David Mills said:

This and they are cranking up the render scaling to 200 which makes it way too sharp imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Thanks for this, you are sooooo right about the YouTubers as well.

Hopefully a channel like digital Foundry will re-visit and do a more in-depth technical video - the likes of Froogle and squirrel really have no clue when it comes to this 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, hanhamreds said:

Thanks for this, you are sooooo right about the YouTubers as well.

Hopefully a channel like digital Foundry will re-visit and do a more in-depth technical video - the likes of Froogle and squirrel really have no clue when it comes to this 

I learned to hate every gaming youtuber even more after having to rely on them for MFS

• Like 2

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

8 hours ago, captain420 said:

Would a regular GTX 1080 8GB video card be sufficient to run this sim at 4K with decent performance?

Don't be obsessed with 4K.  Its over rated.  1440P with higher fps is way to go.  Unless your 15 inches from screen your not going to see much difference except for the fps hit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1