Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Regular GTX 1080 enough to play in 4k?

4 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

4k simply looks best, and with the right hardware it can run buttersmooth.

Are your VR goggles in 4K?

4 hours ago, javelina said:

thanks for that data point, my specs are similar (except I have 64GB RAM).

1080p is what I play in. I have a large 32 inch monitor and sit pretty close so I can see fine. I am hoping with my rig below I can at least get 50-60 FPS in the GA planes like the c172, TBM, and Baron G36. More FPS would be great. But I dont care to push 4k or 2k yet as I love smooth over crisp. 

i7 7700K @ 4.5

GTX 1080 TI SC

32 GB at 4200 mhz

1 TB SSD

2 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

Are your VR goggles in 4K?

No, my Samsung Monitor is 4K, my VR Headset uses a 1440×1600 panel for each eye for a combined resolution of 2880×1600.

2 hours ago, Oldschool61 said:

Don't be obsessed with 4K.  Its over rated.  1440P with higher fps is way to go.  Unless your 15 inches from screen your not going to see much difference except for the fps hit.

How is it overrated? I have a 55" 4K screen that I use for simming and I sit about 24-30 inches away from it so yes I see all that detail and none of it goes to waste. Compared to 1440p, I'll choose 4K over it any day of the week.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

6 hours ago, David Mills said:

Also, as others have mentioned, merely setting the Render Scaling from 100 to 80 makes a huge difference in frame rates without affecting visual quality in any perceptible way. 

Hi David,

Could you please explain what Render Scaling actually does? Thank you.

Edited by robert young
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Has anyone seen a video that benchmarks different cards in the sim?  All I've seen are ones like QPilot who compares different settings.  I'm especially curious about a GTX 1080 at 1440p rather than 4k.  

49 minutes ago, robert young said:

Hi David,

Could you please explain what Render Scaling actually does? Thank you.

Others might refine or correct my explanation, but Render Scaling appears to improve or degrade the quality of your chosen screen resolution. For example, if I'm running the sim at 4K and my 5-year-old system begins to lag at busy airports, I can change the Render Scale down to, say, 80 from 100. I'm still running the sim at 4K (3840 x 2160), but there is slightly less data being pushed to the screen. Personally, I cannot tell the difference in quality when I set the Render Scaling from 100 down to 80. The frame rate, however, is vastly improved by about 10FPS. I sit about four feet away from a 75" 4K Sony TV, so I'm probably more attuned to any degradation in quality than many people would be. And, again, I can't tell any difference until you set the Render Scale below 80 (but the FPS improvement is great). This would be my #1 tip about the sim. Many others have observed this. This isn't something I alone discovered.

Additionally, many people set their displays at standard HD, 1920 x 1080, and then raise the Render Scale above 100, to fill in more detail than they would otherwise see. So the Render Scale lets you truly fine-tune the display to your own liking, rather than being stuck at certain stock presets. There is especially useful for people like me using a TV as a monitor. My own TV has no intermediate display resolution between 1920 x 1080 and 3840 x 2160. It's either one OR the other. The Render Scaling option allows me to overcome this limitation.

I have seen people on this forum -- with systems infinitely superior to my own -- claiming you won't be able to fly in 4K with the new sim unless you have a 2080ti. This is simply not true. I've been doing it happily for a year now.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Others might refine or correct my explanation, but Render Scaling appears to improve or degrade the quality of your chosen screen resolution. For example, if I'm running the sim at 4K and my 5-year-old system begins to lag at busy airports, I can change the Render Scale down to, say, 80 from 100. I'm still running the sim at 4K (3840 x 2160),

Thanks David. That's a really clear explanation.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

54 minutes ago, captain420 said:

How is it overrated? I have a 55" 4K screen that I use for simming and I sit about 24-30 inches away from it so yes I see all that detail and none of it goes to waste. Compared to 1440p, I'll choose 4K over it any day of the week.

Run a 4K monitor as well. The other thing is at this high of a resolution higher-sampled AA may becomes less of a necessity. Will be curious what the balance point ends up being for performance...

The render scaling slider looks fantastic. Hopefully more games on PC implement it.

Can anyone knowledgeable enough about the sim tell me what settings I should plan for?

Intel i7-9700F 3ghz 8-core, Nvidia GTX 1660 TI 6gb, and 16gb RAM.

Should I be able to get 4K at medium settings? Would more RAM be necessary? What about 4K, then set render scaling at 80 as David Mills talked about? Or should I expect to be limited to 1080p? I’m fine with 30fps, and I’m not thinking about densely populated spots like NYC.

Reason I’m asking is because I want to know if I should invest in a 4K monitor this weekend...

Edited by RobotRock

So much read here and my conclusion about the ability of three-to-five-year-old hardware is: it all depends on what you plan to fly and where you plan to fly.  By late next week we will know, each of us individually.  The "choir members" can sing.  What is important to me is my experience.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I know dedicated computer monitors are more versatile than a 4K TV, but they're also a lot more expensive! I've been using a 4K TV throughout the entire alpha/beta period, and I don't know how the display could possibly look any better. You might just pick up a cheap 4K TV at Walmart and see how it does (keeping the receipt for a refund if you're dissatisfied). I notice that you have 6gb of video RAM. Obviously the more video RAM you have, the better, but I suspect you'd be able to run the sim at 4K if you dialed back the Render Scale to 80 or 70 and perhaps ran it with Medium settings. The lowest possible settings, at the lowest possible resolution, still look vastly better than anything we currently have from P3D or X-Plane.   

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

Not to mention if you have a native 4k monitor they down always look the best when they downscale below 4k, when I went from hd to 4k I was so happy with the difference so it is very noticeable even on 32 inch screen, based on what I have read I should be happy in 4k with the below settings if I use the right settings until I upgrade to 3080 ti

I7 8700k

GTX 1080ti

64 gigs

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Well thats obvious. When setting to anything but a display's native resolution, one can't expect it to look that good. I will always use the native resolution on any display that I purchase to get the most out of it.

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

8 hours ago, David Mills said:

I have a 1070 running on a five-year-old i7. I have no problem running the sim at 4K and getting good performance. What's usually overlooked -- or unknown -- to many who comment here is that 30FPS on the new sim looks and feels like 50-60FPS on P3D or X-Plane. The new sim works in a very different way. So you can't really compare FPS alone and come up with a meaningful assessment. Also, as others have mentioned, merely setting the Render Scaling from 100 to 80 makes a huge difference in frame rates without affecting visual quality in any perceptible way. A lot of the videos I've seen over the past few weeks were hastily posted (to beat other YouTubers to the punch) without adequately exploring the graphics settings. The 747 landing at JFK, for example, obviously had the Road Traffic set to 100. I've never seen so many cars in my life! As in the past, this maxed-out road traffic is a frame killer. My point is this: Once you explore and learn how the graphics options interact with your own hardware, you'll have no problem running a 1080 or a 1070 at 4K. I personally use the High settings, which is one notch below Ultra, but again there is almost no appreciable difference between High and Ultra -- and I use a 75" 4K TV and sit very close to it. Even if you run MSFS2020 at only 1920x1080 and use the Low settings as well, the sim still looks about a billion times better than P3D or X-Plane.

Hi, thanks for the insight 🙂 I recently upgraded my 8 year old i5 3570k to a Ryzen 5 3600, because it was bottlenecking my GTX 1070 in recent games. Could u tell me what kind of performance/settings i could expect if i want to play at 1080p? Does the GTX 1070 run just fine with everything set to high?

Edited by schneper32