Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

August 27th, 2020 - Development Update

7 hours ago, JDWalley said:

Are the winds in the sim accurate for the area in which you're flying?  Apparently, for many people, they aren't anywhere close (and this is true of the weather as a whole for some, not just the winds).  Granted, I haven't tried live weather in the sim yet (and, frankly, all I'd get here if I tried would be boringly predictable clear summer days at the moment).

I’ve had a lot of wind but I haven’t checked for it’s actual accuracy. Just that I know it’s a windy day and I’m getting a lot of wind and that it’s not always the same day to day. Direction changes, sometimes there are powerful gusts, sometimes the wind is whistling around the cabin and other times it’s just causing me to occasionally climb or drop some altitude.

Question about winds: is there any sort of data output we can choose to show on our screens/hud that will show winds for our current altitude?

Im wondering if the G1000 wind info is correct or not because before I enter the flight by clicking the "FLY" button I notice on the briefing screen that the wind quoted there is different than the wind on my PFD in the plane. My PFD seems to always say either 1, 2 or 3 regardless of my alt....but the briefing screen typically says higher winds...dunno what to make of it so I though there might be some other way of checking current wind conditions for current altitude?

Summation: 

Just like any software release that has some issues, it can go either way, either they will fix it or they will not fix it. None of us know for sure, and none of us have a crystal ball. I think what creates the drama between posters in the forum is simply because a lot of times people interpret some peoples' opinions as stating misinformation, when this is an opinionated forum and they are simply stating their opinions (but I think most of us realize we don't know for sure).

We have the SimConnect patch and some other REAL patches coming, that's a start. It doesn't guarantee they'll get to some of the other issues, but it definitely isn't bad news either, it's neutral at worst and positive at best.

As far as them ignoring these issues for months prior to release, I am not sure about that, are you saying A) They haulted development months before release (I doubt it). Therefore, if A is not true, then that means their programmers were working on issues, just not the issues in the order that they were known and not in the priority that some preferred. What it probably means is there were even more severe or incomplete features in other aspects of the game they had to fix first, since I wasn't in the Alpha/Beta, that is all I could know.

Do not think there is much to worry about here, not yet, in 6 months - maybe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, SceneryFX said:

Summation: 

Do not think there is much to worry about here, not yet, in 6 months - maybe.

Transparency is a key factor here and Microsoft still hasn't learned after all these years. Could have done it through a blog like X-Plane and be honest, could have saved a lot of annoyance and frustrations as the comms with the community has been a joke really, but they're insisting on being not approachable, just like in any other of their products and I work with most of their business stack. It's not a rocket science to put a resource to run a blog, max 10h of utilization per week. 

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 2

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

8 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Transparency is a key factor here and Microsoft still hasn't learned after all these years. Could have done it through a blog like X-Plane and be honest, could have saved a lot of annoyance and frustrations as the comms with the community has been a joke really, but they're insisting on being not approachable, just like in any other of their products and I work with most of their business stack.

That's a fair point, but the reason that comes to mind that they only give general info for long-term issues is because if a project fails miserably and they start losing money, if they have to bail on it for financial reasons, then they don't want to make promises that are later held against them to hurt their reputation. I'm not saying either way is better (honestly I don't know, never worked at corporation that large), but trusting employees to evaluate the entire progression of bugs and issues in one post can definitely backfire quite rapidly. Generally they want to handle it slowly.

Also, I'm sure the bean counters are doing a lot of analytics right now, and some things are probably on hold until they figure out the overall picture.

Another issue is when a project gets close to the end, a lot of the left over bugs are sometimes from devs that are purposefully avoiding because they were frustrated with that part of their code. So it's not unusual for certain things to be dragged onto the end like that.

We have some easy bugs to fix, and we have some very complex coding left. The SDK has a lot of organizational and structural issues would be my biggest concern. 

Edited by SceneryFX

Asobo before release: Hi everyone, let's talk!

Asobo after release: Bravo Six Going Dark

Eric 

20 hours ago, Lotharen said:

Surprised its taking them that long to fix these and address nothing else.

Really!!!, do you realize the complexity this sim/game (or any other for that matter) has and the amount of time it takes to debug/test/debug/test and release, not taking into account thousands of hardware combinations out there? We are talking about hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of lines of code for just a 1 particular module.

Give Asobo a break, it hasn't even been a week since its release.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

19 hours ago, Shug said:

You can do all this yourself in a few seconds. I've been through the megapack release of A320s and assigned real-world call-signs, tail registrations, flight numbers and also sorted them all into alphabetical order so that they're all easy to find in the Liveries section, in lieu of a search function. Just change the values in each aircraft.cfg file for your aircraft and save them. Then they'll be set for each flight you do. Simples...🙂

Good to know, thanks. I'm not in the habit of messing with config files without a work through guide but that sounds straightforward. Still would be nice if your sim profile had options for having your personal defaults for any or all of Tail Number, Callsign and Flight Number to save editing a whole heap of aircraft files. Hopefully that will come at some point.

19 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

I personally would rather fly it in its current state than wait 4-6 months for a more polished state.  I would bet that most people who have played have enjoyed a good portion of their experience.  Isnt that better than waiting a long time from now to even try it?

+1.

I went from Initial Announcement: "Oh wow, I wonder how many months(or even years) this will take to release?", through Launch Announcement: "Oh wow, I can't believe it's so soon, but I can't wait for the date to arrive!" to Launch: "Oh wow, this is great, even with the bugs which I'm sure they'll get to, along with all the uproar from those complaining about a half-baked product!"

18 hours ago, Stoopy said:

My own pet non-critical issues aren't on the list either but that's OK since I can fly and folks with install issues can't.  This is important.  And I would like my pet issues to go through a proper testing cycle that could easily take longer than a week to get to release, so when they are fixed they are really fixed. 

Exactly. Quite happy with what I have so far, and prepared to let them get on with the job of making things better as time goes on.

12 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Surely, we can all agree that enabling everyone who has bought MSFS to actually install and play it should come first, right?

Apparently not, sadly.

2 hours ago, Anthracite said:

I’ve had a lot of wind...

Must. Not. Comment.

(This thread needs some real humour!)😃

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, CarlosF said:

Really!!!, do you realize the complexity this sim/game (or any other for that matter) has and the amount of time it takes to debug/test/debug/test and release, not taking into account thousands of hardware combinations out there? We are talking about hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of lines of code for just a 1 particular module.

Give Asobo a break, it hasn't even been a week since its release.

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why can MMO devs knock out a criticle update for something similar in 24-72hrs? Those games are fairly complex and they would not allow this many customers to sit with a product they couldn't use, so they jump on it and fix it. I was not referring to the other stuff they need to work on like the wind issue for example. I totally understand how complex this sim/game is, so tell me another one!

21 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why can MMO devs knock out a criticle update for something similar in 24-72hrs? Those games are fairly complex and they would not allow this many customers to sit with a product they couldn't use, so they jump on it and fix it. I was not referring to the other stuff they need to work on like the wind issue for example. I totally understand how complex this sim/game is, so tell me another one!

Every situation is completely different, without seeing the actual code, none of us could even guess really. There are always things you do not think of with this stuff. There is no industry standard of how long it usually takes to patch a critical game bug, the amount of time patches are released are all over the map.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SceneryFX said:

Every situation is completely different, without seeing the actual code, none of us could even guess really. There are always things you do not think of with this stuff. There is no industry standard of how long it usually takes to patch a critical game bug, the amount of time patches are released are all over the map.

Ill agree. I was just using my 20 years of MMO experience as a guide. Every one I have ever played on release has patched the critical bugs within that time frame. I think Wow took a bit longer but they were in constant communication with the player base about it. I totally agree they will make it happen but I think they should push anything critical like those bugs the minute they are fixed and not wait for a cumulative patch.

15 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

I think they should push anything critical like those bugs the minute they are fixed and not wait for a cumulative patch

Stupidest thing I ever heard!!!

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

3 hours ago, Anthracite said:

I’ve had a lot of wind but I haven’t checked for it’s actual accuracy

I have a lot of wind too, in fact...

..."Oh crap, that wasn't wind! Roger, you have the plane!"

• Like 3

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, hangar said:

Im wondering if the G1000 wind info is correct or not

I was thinking the same thing, however, I took I flight into the remnants of Laura last night. It looked like a tropical storm out the window. The ATIS/AWOS even reported strong winds accurate to the current METARs that I checked. But there was absolutely no wind effect at all. Not on the ground nor in flight.  

• Like 1

Chris