Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

10 Fail-Proof Optimization Tips! Guaranteed to Work!!

13 minutes ago, yidahoo said:

You could literally cut and paste this for any AAA game on the market. 

My thought as i read this was literally, "Is this cut and pasted from a generic WikiHow article?"

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Predictably, this forum is now clogged with so-called "performance fixes", most of which don't do a thing, many of which are going to mess up your system and/or your installation. 

Folks who post these tips usually wiggle themselves out of responsibilty by saying that it worked for them and may not work for you. 

I mean, I drink a bucket of cheap wine every morning, it may or may not help you but it sure makes me feel good....

Anyways, here are MY tips that actually WORK:

1. Double your Ram from 8 to 16 gigabyte
2. Invest in modest hardware upgrades. If you're spending more than $1.000 to $1.200 on a new PC, you've thrown money out the window. (Exception: you're running complex graphical operations on your PC as well.)
3. Clean the dust out of your PC, pay special attention to the fans. 
4. Keep your Windows 10 installation up to date 
5. Sliders Left! Accept that you will have to find a compromise between visuals and performance. Lower settings until you've found that sweet spot. 
6. Stop obsessing about frame rates.
7. Stop running word not allowed in the background
8. Stick with 1080p - see post 5, accept a compromise between visuals and performance
9. Stop messing around with .cfg files and your registry 
10. Enjoy MSFS for what it is and for what it will become!

A veritable "Ode to Mediocrity" here, IMHO

2.  "If you're spending more than $1.000 to $1.200 on a new PC, you've thrown money out the window."  Well, if you expect Ultra level performance out of a $1200 PC, you're either dreaming or smoking something that may not be legal everywhere.  Heck, a good high-end video card alone costs that much.  I don't think any objective person who sees what a powerful machine can do w/r/t sim performance would say that it's money "thrown out the window."  It may not be worth it to you, but a high performance computer will produce a tangibly better experience.

3.  "Clean the dust out of your PC, pay special attention to the fans."  If you're letting your computer get dirty enough inside that blowing the dust out results in a performance increase, you really need to rethink your living conditions.

4.  "Keep your Windows 10 installation up to date"  Except when the latest update breaks your finely-tuned system, as it has several times since W10 was first released.  I paid the extra ransom for the Pro version of Win 10 just so I can defer their forced updates until I can determine (from the experiences of the Home version crash test dummies) if the latest-greatest is likely to blow things up.

5.  "Sliders Left! Accept that you will have to find a compromise between visuals and performance. Lower settings until you've found that sweet spot."  Not necessary if you "threw your money out the window" and have good hardware that doesn't require you to accept defeat as a foregone conclusion.

6.  "Stop obsessing about frame rates."  Unless you're getting less than what's needed for smooth animation.  Below a certain point, frame rates actually do matter.

8.  "Stick with 1080p"  Oh, my, but no, no, no.  Very few people that have ever run a sim or game at higher resolutions and especially on large displays would agree that giving up 10 years worth of progress in display resolution, size and quality is anything but a huge step backwards.

9.  "Stop messing around with .cfg files and your registry"  Because we all know that "one-size-fits-all" works for...well...pretty much nothing.  The config options are there for a reason...flexibility  Who really believes that running at default settings designed to accommodate the lowest common denominator is the best way to roll? 

Bottom line, there are no universal truths here.  There is a littany of options emerging that may or may not improve a given individual's sim performance...and having and sharing those options is a good thing.  It wasn't that long ago that there was a low and hard cap--no matter what you threw at your sim in terms of hardware and software settings, we were still limited to an experience that, by today's standards, was mediocre at best.  Today's mainstream flight simulation software allows us to choose from a much wider range of options.  You can get away with an inexpensive off-the-shelf PC and default settings, or you can invest the time, energy, and resources to tailor the experience more to your liking.

• Like 10

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Answer

1-9: Read the right side tweaks:
10: Enjoy Your Whooper.

1z2rnuhr1z6pec36g.jpg

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I eagerly await your rebuttal of my suggestions. 

I won't refute that the sky is blue either, but I don't particularly need anyone to tell me about it. 😉

56 minutes ago, w6kd said:

, no, no.  Very few people that have ever run a sim or game at higher resolutions and especially on large displays would agree that giving up 10 years worth of progress in display resolution, size and quality is anything but a huge step backwards.

Not just straight progress either, but at least in part a return to what we used to have. I was running 1600p (not that it was called that commonly back then) on the last CRT monitors I had, which I bought something like 15 years ago. Switching over to LCD was an overall *downgrade* in resolution which I still haven't recovered from, being too cheap to replace my 1024's with 4k's.

Really the most salient point in OP's suggestions was "move sliders to the left."  Yeah, that will pretty much universally improve performance for everyone. 😉

3 hours ago, ZKOKQ said:

I think the OP somehow feels a bit depressed about his system

Wow, now we're system shaming. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colonel X said:

That is a bit offensive towards many users here who spend a lot of time investigating tweaks and sharing them with others. Some of the tweaks found are really helpful, such as the Process Lasso and the RTSS tweak. Your list however, while it's based on common sense, lacks any substance.

Couldn't agree more!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

All your unnecessary upgrade monies are belong to us.

businessman-clipart-greedy-13.jpg

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Man have I heard that one before. 🙂

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

13 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Tweaking usually yields little. It's a rabbit hole that leads nowhere.

Not so fast. I rarely believe most tweaks but when 90% of users say something works, that's quite reliable. The tweak to halve the speed of glass gauges has gained me about 8-10 fps consistently. I don't mind the gauge update being a tad slower as in return I get smoother motion, no stutters and can now whack up the scenery.

I do agree generally with the "sliders left" philosophy though.

• Like 2

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

9 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Wow, now we're system shaming. 

Well, you were tweaker shaming.

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.