Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

Patch Version 1.8.3.0 Is Now Available!

32 minutes ago, eaim said:

True, let's hope that MS upgrade to DX12 ASAP.

What would DX12 do for us?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

44 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

The frame rate drops during the most critical moments of the game. Because DX12 uses the CPU more efficiently, the frame rate will drop much less when the game demands the most performance, providing a more consistent frame rate throughout the entire gaming experience

6 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The frame rate drops during the most critical moments of the game. Because DX12 uses the CPU more efficiently, the frame rate will drop much less when the game demands the most performance, providing a more consistent frame rate throughout the entire gaming experience

Frame rate only drops below 30 when I don't adjust for my GPU.  So w/ this configuration there is more than ample CPU resources available for anything.  It's really simple--I'm either getting too close to 8Gb of VRAM in use, or have exceeded the processing the GPU can deliver, or both.  Never does the CPU come into play w/ this configuration.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Great, but, people are going to need minimum 60fps for VR. And with all the new high hz screens available, DX12 should help out. 

I think we're all very tired,

It's a good patch unless you had stuff in the Community Folder.

And if you did, you only have yourself to blame.

Let it run. . . 

My copy of MSFS is running perfectly.

Come On chaps - get yourselves together.

• Like 2

Running great here, just needs fine tuning mostly.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Apart from what Ian says, i'd imagine that we'd get a pretty big boost in multicore usage thus giving us a decent size boost of FPS, the downside is we could need more vRam. P3d got a boost of about 15/20 FPS on my system between v4.5(dx11) and v5(dx12).

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, eaim said:

Apart from what Ian says, i'd imagine that we'd get a pretty big boost in multicore usage thus giving us a decent size boost of FPS, the downside is we could need more vRam. P3d got a boost of about 15/20 FPS on my system between v4.5(dx11) and v5(dx12).

Not sure you can use P3D as the benchmark... Asobo has already optimized the base sim for multi core usage, so whatever you saw in P3D may not apply to MSFS..

Bert

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Great, but, people are going to need minimum 60fps for VR. And with all the new high hz screens available, DX12 should help out. 

don't need min 60fps for vr.  on my rift i get smooth gfx even down to 25fps locked in fs.  just need to turn off asw.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I've ran into issues with DX12 in other games that offered both DX11 and DX12 where DX11 worked flawlessly in those games. I got choppier performance in general and graphical artifacts when running those game in DX12. Maybe it does improve the FPS and performance on the higher end/more modern cards when implemented properly, but there also seem to be compatibility issues with DX12 with some of the older cards even though said cards does actually support DX12. Granted, my card is pretty old and probably not the best example of DX12 performance/issue observation, but the possibility of compatibility issues is definitely there I think.

• Like 1

Steven

Intel i7 950, Gigabyte GTX 960 2GB G1 Gaming Edition Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB, 12GB RAM, HDD SSD

I tell you what, when I look at ALL of what is streaming into my field of view it's nothing short of remarkable how efficient this engine is.  Go back to P3D and while I still love it, it's polished, it works, it's also just flat out not the real world--it's the cartoon rendition of it, and typically it's not very good at it save 3rd party airports, and I use Orbx regionals.  Oh it's the best you could do w/ season etc, but that has changed dramatically now IMO.  You really fly in P3D to stay in the plane and go to and from airports, but the scenery only marginally resembles the depth and accuracy of what is processed so very well in MSFS, at least w/ how I'm setup.  Can't wait for a killer GPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Noel

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:
  • Lower latency
  • Higher FPS
  • Access to hardware accelerated ray tracing
  • Provides Asobo with more direct access and control over the GPU and memory allocation
  • Better GPU scheduling 
  • Better support for multiple GPUs
  • Better CPU utilization across multiple threads
  • and more ...

DX11 is almost a decade old now.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: now is the time to do it before too much DLC is out because there is always the possibility of backwards compatibility issues, but WASM "should" negate some of that and put the burden on Asobo.

Gotta hand it to you Rob, the "DX11 is almost a decade old now".........was that a little dig at Asobo/MS in there, eh?

Asobo/MS were working on MSFS for some time prior to the proverbial "let the cat (or MSFS) out of the bag" statement on MSFS July 2019.  DX11 was the "it" during the R&D.

Haven't seen a flightsim dev anywhere witht the foresight to look and work that far ahead.....neither LM or Laminar for that matter. (btw - LM who I still respect immensely for carrying the FSX torch and keeping the joy of flightsimming alive).

DX12 will get to MSFS soon enough. Once the bugs are ironed out (and they will be ironed out) this new trailblazing product will be the benchmark for all others to compare and imitate.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

13 minutes ago, XCLTM3 said:

Gotta hand it to you Rob, the "DX11 is almost a decade old now".........was that a little dig at Asobo/MS in there, eh?

Asobo/MS were working on MSFS for some time prior to the

Its "funny" how the technology is there and they didn't make use of it... their moto is: " ohh just get a newer hardware". 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Roi Ben

Slightly offtopic, but does the new Xbox use DX12?

9900k@5GHz, 32GB@3200 RAM, Strix RTX 2080ti, VKB Gladiator mkii, VKB rudder pedals 

9 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I think we're all very tired,

It's a good patch unless you had stuff in the Community Folder.

And if you did, you only have yourself to blame.

Let it run. . . 

My copy of MSFS is running perfectly.

Come On chaps - get yourselves together.

Game was vanilla as a British ice cream here, I had nothing in my community folder but I am still having to throttle the download speed to 500kb/s to prevent the Asobo server spazzing out. As there is no option with the Steam version to repair or download only the damaged files, it is effectively doing a full download of the whole game of 102Gb. By my reckoning that will take over 50 hours.

Flight Simulator, more like Frustration Simulator. For a so called AAA game costing £60 better I expected a somewhat better experience than this!