Sign in to follow this  
Roman Design

Greater Toronto Area Enhancement Pack v2.2 (free)

17 hours ago, Keto Ketchup said:

There is a delicious irony that Microsoft finds itself depending on Google to make one of its products much better 😛

The only thing ironic here is that you think you are being clever and witty :))

I'm absolutely floored by this, thanks so much buddy

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

7 hours ago, romandesign said:

Thanks, glad you like it! Can't wait to experience it myself in VR...

Have some fun! Then, I hope you can bring us an enhanced Niagara Falls.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

7 hours ago, romandesign said:

Thanks, glad you like it! Can't wait to experience it myself in VR...

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks a lot for the hard work.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

romandesign

Hi, Many thanks for your work on Toronto and area. I can remember the glass floor near the top of the tower. Quite a view - straight down.

The many contributions to the sim by people like you have been remarkable.

Keep up the good work.

Jim Morgan

6 hours ago, DJJose said:

As far as I know, there is no way to do waterfalls or running water at the moment in SDK. But I am considering doing at least the better mesh to the falls, so they don't look as broken as they do now...

• Like 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

On 9/24/2020 at 11:00 PM, espent said:

That is a fantastic scenery.

You should add the "Buy me a coffee" button to your download page.

Actually, I just added that yesterday - seems that many people do that, and the flightsim.to has native support for is, and PayPal donations, so why not... Nobody actually donated yet...  If people donat, I may look into doing other areas or more frequent updates.

Just reached 1500+ downloads on flightsim.to plus another 447 on nexusmods.

Edited by romandesign
  • Like 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]

On 9/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, Keto Ketchup said:

There is a delicious irony that Microsoft finds itself depending on Google to make one of its products much better 😛

What I find ironic is that people would yell up a storm if MS charged people more money for the product because it had to license the data from Google, when they have already had their own data with Bing.

Also, a lot of areas that have widespread use of Google imagery have a huge performance hit, and this scenery is no exception.

The OP did amazing work and is to be congratulated.  But the performance hit for my system is almost 40% and that's with me locked at 30fps.  So I've had to delete it from my community folder until I get a machine upgrade.

Bottom line is that Google Maps data is not optimized for this product, and can cause serious performance issues when used over widespread areas.  Not a criticism of the OP, just a statement of fact.

So yes, for individual objects Google does wonders (like Devil's tower or a couple of buildings at Kennedy Space Center) but for entire regions, not so much, unless you have a high end system that can brute force their way through the area without becoming choppy.  

21 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

BTW, with a lot of the scenery enhancements coming from Google data, it makes me wonder how long it takes before some clever developer comes up with a way to stream Google data into the sim in real time as you fly 😄

1.  Pretty sure that in itself would violate it's fair use policy

2.  Relying strictly on Google streamed data would result in a slide show as it is not optimized for use in MSFS..  Also, Google data does not have night textures, that all has to be done by hand.

Look, Google Maps is great and I'm glad that the freeware community can utilize that data (until Google decides to say Nyet).  But it's a bit over the top to praise Google and bash Microsoft when the Google data isn't designed for MSFS, does not perform as well in MSFS, and if it HAD been utilized by Microsoft would have added cost to the final product.

31 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

Also, a lot of areas that have widespread use of Google imagery have a huge performance hit, and this scenery is no exception.

The OP did amazing work and is to be congratulated.  But the performance hit for my system is almost 40% and that's with me locked at 30fps.  So I've had to delete it from my community folder until I get a machine upgrade.

Mine is more or less best case scenario for a scenery that large. Any detailed scenery in any sim has always ment an FPS hit. Take any complex commercial MSFS scenery - you will see a hit, although perhaps a smaller one if it's well-optimized. I have taken all emasures possilbe to minimize the impact: 3 LOD levels, manual optimizing of the meshes (merge by distance in Blender), manualy removing as much as possible of the mesh (ground, trees etc.). And most importantly - only doing a selected blocks of buildings, not the entire regions etc. But Google meshes are very complex, so yes, the FPS loss is there. More than with a scenery created from scratch from simple models. But most other Google-derived sceneries don't use LOD and often don't have color correction, so the result is much hogher FPS hit, and a bluish bright look in the sim. Mine doesn't have that. But still, you will pay fir a few FPS for the nice looks, that's life.

Edited by romandesign

Is there any way to install individual objects from the scenery, rather than installing the whole thing to save some frames? 

I would like to be able to pick out the individual scenery items that are important to me personally, without installing the entire area.

For example, when you are approaching the downtown area from a distance, the stock Bing version of the CN Tower looks like a melted candle. Your version looks great from a distance (and up close) and I would like to install just the tower without the rest of the Toronto scenery.

I would love to be able to run the whole scenery, but my system can't handle it.

Edited by Barnes

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

1 hour ago, romandesign said:

Mine is more or less best case scenario for a scenery that large.

I was not trying to criticize you in any way.  In fact i know you have tried to make the area is impact free as possible.  What my point was is that as great as Google Maps objects are, they are not optimized for MSFS, and as thus should not be seen as the knight on the white horse that will save MSFS from itself.  

Google didn't design the stuff to be flown around at 30 to 60 fps with fluid motion, so it's understandable.  

Romandesign,

You sir are a hero. Thank you so much for giving this to the community.

I can’t wait to try it 🙂

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

@romandesign, let me add another "thanks" for this. Got it yesterday - love it.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Wow, impressive work....that looks like it took some time!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |