Sign in to follow this  
rksoftware

My view on MSFS now, 2 months after release

I love this sim, but that is a bit of a rose colored outlook, there are definitely some core issues in this sim that do not exist in other sims. There are also some huge advantages to this sim that other sims cannot touch, but if you are training to be an actual pilot, there is no question that this sim has some issues. Playing it like a game, well yah, not too many issues in that respect, but then again the SDK is maddening. Yah, FSX had its issues with default planes too, but not in the same ways. So it is simply that these are different issues, and for some people they are deal-breakers.

People do overstate the issues in some ways though, but as it currently stands, I cannot see this as a valuable training simulator. That said, I'm not a pilot, so I don't really know, but to me if I look at it and try to think like a pilot, I don't see this as being a real simulator as much as a game. I do hope that it becomes more of a real simulator.

Edited by SceneryFX

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

8 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

I love this sim, but that is a bit of a rose colored outlook, there are definitely some core issues in this sim that do not exist in other sims. There are also some huge advantages to this sim that other sims cannot touch, but if you are training to be an actual pilot, there is no question that this sim has some issues. Playing it like a game, well yah, not too many issues in that respect, but then again the SDK is maddening. Yah, FSX had its issues with default planes too, but not in the same ways. So it is simply that these are different issues, and for some people they are deal-breakers.

People do overstate the issues in some ways though, but as it currently stands, I cannot see this as a valuable training simulator. That said, I'm not a pilot, so I don't really know, but to me if I look at it and try to think like a pilot, I don't see this as being a real simulator as much as a game. I do hope that it becomes more of a real simulator.

You have stated it correctly.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Well, let's be honest. It's not just got issues.

I've been programming for over 40 years and this is one of the buggiest half finished bits of junk I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I'd be ashamed to put my name on this.

It's at least 3 months and probably more like 6 from being anywhere near releasable quality.

It's not alpha quality, let alone beta quality, and there is clearly virtually no testing going on beyond the bare minimum. Sling something in, hope it works, get it out as another patch. This is probably because Asobo are under pressure to get it out as an XBox launch so stuff the PC group.

The UI gives the impression of being put together on the fly with zero thought ; I mean it what kind of world would you *not* make the stupid tooltips an option. Who designed the joystick setup interface ? Why when you pop out an instrument does it leave the controls behind ?

It's simply unfit to be released, and the pretty graphics don't hide from that. There's very little in it besides the sim, a few non-mission type things, a revamped version of the first part of FS2004's Machado tutorial, the planes barely fly let alone work correctly.

It's a classic example of "Nice Video, shame about the Song".

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, GSalden said:

If there are so much topics about the same then there must be something not entirely going well with MSFS....

Otherwise they were flying and having a good time 🤔

The original poster is exactly right. As a simulator it is useless because it doesn't simulate anything very much once you've admired the scenery.

As a game there is no actual game present. FSX had its missions, the Machado tutorial. FS2020 has a cut down rework of the Machado tutorial's first part of six or seven, some "Landing challenges" (start a scenario off, land the plane and score on simple things) and some "Bush flights".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

It's for everyone's benefit to lure that "crowd" into the world of MSFS (more users = more development).  Doesn't mean the hardcore or litecore simmer has to engage in that activity, but why exclude or not provide for those that might want to?

Or for the civilian stuff, a built in mission generator or career mode to give a purpose - much as I love flying around sometimes it can get a bit abstract. That's something that has been a (lacking) feature of FS ever since I first fired up 5.1 all those years ago. The train sims give you a timetable to follow (in some cases you get the workings across the route for an entire day) or a list of cars that need to be picked up or dropped off at various locations en route. I know we have Neofly but it is really only suitable for doing short quick runs as you can't save (AFAIK) and resume the flight later and still pick up the job.

11 hours ago, rksoftware said:

Hi,

This is OP again. Just wanted to tell people here that I am not a TROLL, but a human being with my own opinion. 

Let me just say this again so it's crystal clear. There is only one view that matters to me, mine! So your views are as useful to me as a "cellophane mouse being chased by an asbestos cat through hell"! If however you offer useful information that I can use to improve my experience you will have all the kudos I can muster, and move to the top of my "that guy knows what he's talking about list"!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

8 minutes ago, SierraHotel said:

Let me just say this again so it's crystal clear. There is only one view that matters to me, mine! So your views are as useful to me as a "cellophane mouse being chased by an asbestos cat through hell"! If however you offer useful information that I can use to improve my experience you will have all the kudos I can muster, and move to the top of my "that guy knows what he's talking about list"!

Mmmm... so on a forum you only want people offering useful information to you ?

You might start your own forum 🤣

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Mmmm... so on a forum you only want people offering useful information to you ?

You might start your own forum 🤣

I already have:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/538945776862209/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224091748465722/

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

And prioritizing Japan scenery over fixing their airplanes does not sit well with me.. 😉

Yes, but probably earned them pots of extra Yen to spend on fixing those airplanes. 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, paulscottrobson said:

not alpha quality

no testing

XBox

zero thought

Please make your wild exaggerations even more excessive. I think they've almost reached a critical mass of hyperbole and I'm keen to see what its gravitational collapse will be like.

Edited by JacquesBrel
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, NBurgess said:

Whilst I have a great deal of sympathy with the OP's point of view, the last thing we need is yet another thread saying the same thing as countless others.

I find myself in the curious position of feeling that all my simming is rather unsatisfactory at the moment.  I would say that I previously spent my P3D time split around 70% tubeliner flying PMDG etc, and around 30% GA in my A2A fleet. 

Since MSFS arrived  I'm a bit unhappy with both.  I now look out of the window in P3D and meh, after MSFS, I'm really unhappy with the visuals.  I fire up MSFS and really miss any high quality addons.  I spend time in both, but neither quite cuts it for me at present due to the presence of the other !

I'm suppose I'm just going to have to be patient.....

+ 1 100% agree 👍

• Like 1

Keep Flying Robert

I7 12700KF, MSI RTX 3080ti Suprim X 12GB, G Skill Trident Z DDR5-6000 32 GB RAM, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690 F Gaming WiFi, Win 10 pro 2004 Build 21H2. 2x 1 TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1 TB M 2.0 Crucial, Corsair AiO watercooled.

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

And prioritizing Japan scenery over fixing their airplanes does not sit well with me.. 😉

I understand the frustration that I share, specially for the Caravan. Now we have been here for a long time, a lot of us, old simmers, have tried over the years to make sceneries and tweak or even make aircraft. The skills and talents which are necessary for both are very different. One can make a palatable scenery and be unable to do anything good  in the aircraft side (looking at me here).  I wouldn't be surprised if the team which made Japan is lacking the skills to do the aircraft flight & engine modeling and avionics. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

12 hours ago, rksoftware said:

Hi,

This is OP again. Just wanted to tell people here that I am not a TROLL, but a human being with my own opinion. 

No I don't think you are a troll. You just remind me of people who carelessly throw a  cigarette butt in dry brushwood and leave 😋. And yes, you are entitled to your own opinion and welcome to share it. Which does not make it right.

Writing concision is always good. But you were a bit short. Please explain why no other aircraft than the 172 is worth to fly and that you cannot fly MSF when the cloud and visibility are not enough for visual reference to terrain.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Elvensmith said:

Or for the civilian stuff, a built in mission generator or career mode to give a purpose - much as I love flying around sometimes it can get a bit abstract. That's something that has been a (lacking) feature of FS ever since I first fired up 5.1 all those years ago. The train sims give you a timetable to follow (in some cases you get the workings across the route for an entire day) or a list of cars that need to be picked up or dropped off at various locations en route. I know we have Neofly but it is really only suitable for doing short quick runs as you can't save (AFAIK) and resume the flight later and still pick up the job.

use FSEconomy for free or OnAir that gives you a full career progression as you get bigger and better planes, jobs have times to complete them by and there is level progression..  kinda adds MMORPG features to the sim.. (also have to say that OnAir has VERY active developers who respond to issues very quickly).   You can progress through all of the aircraft in MSFS started small and ending up with airliners if you wish.

As with all flight sims.. the sim is the basics.. the add-ons come from 3rd party devs.

Both the above are good..  in my opinion, even though there is a cost to OnAir, it is far better and you can try it for free.

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

2 hours ago, paulscottrobson said:

I've been programming for over 40 years and this is one of the buggiest half finished bits of junk I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I'd be ashamed to put my name on this.

Jokes on Asobo! They should have hired you! The Programming God himself! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1