Wise87

DD just released RJAA Tokyo Narita P3D

The first airport is out. I believe later he will be releasing Haneda Airport and Tokyo City later on. 

• Like 4

Dan

i9-10900K@5.1 / Asus Maximus Hero Z490 / EVGA 1080ti FTW3 / ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 / Phanteks Eclipse P600S / Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4400@4000CL17 / 2ea Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB / 1ea Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / Sony 43in 4K @ 30Hz

I'm very excited about this. The current one I have is from Wing Creation, and while it was very nice for its time, it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. DD's is very welcome, and certainly looks very nice. That said, I'll probably sit back a little to see what you guys have to say about it... especially because over at FSDeveloper there's a very talented developer who is making what looks like a stunning rendition of RJAA. Honestly not sure which of the two is the better, so I look forward to any review from anybody here!

I have not seen any screenshots for Haneda. I really want that one in updated and upgraded form, as the current one I have is TechnoBrain and for whatever reason it's quite hard on performance, even in P3Dv5. I'm certain DD's RJTT will be much improved over Technobrain's.

• Like 2

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Unfortunately my work week just started so I won't be able to pick this one up for a few more days. I'll chime in with my impressions at that time. Definitely looking forward to Haneda at some point as well!

I just read a FB post from a user who has spent a lot of time at RJAA and he is just blown away at the level of detail DD put into Narita. 

• Upvote 1

Dan

i9-10900K@5.1 / Asus Maximus Hero Z490 / EVGA 1080ti FTW3 / ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 / Phanteks Eclipse P600S / Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 4400@4000CL17 / 2ea Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB / 1ea Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / Sony 43in 4K @ 30Hz

8 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I'm very excited about this. The current one I have is from Wing Creation, and while it was very nice for its time, it's starting to get a little long in the tooth. DD's is very welcome, and certainly looks very nice. That said, I'll probably sit back a little to see what you guys have to say about it... especially because over at FSDeveloper there's a very talented developer who is making what looks like a stunning rendition of RJAA. Honestly not sure which of the two is the better, so I look forward to any review from anybody here!

Well that's interesting Benjamin.

I'm also looking at purchasing Narita.I was also waiting to see how the ZIm scenery develops (the one mentioned over at the FS Developer forum) as this looks really impressive too, but no sign of when that will release.

34 minutes ago, Wise87 said:

I just read a FB post from a user who has spent a lot of time at RJAA and he is just blown away at the level of detail DD put into Narita. 

The DD quality looks particularly good and its at a really reasonable price unlike certain other Japanese airport sceneries I could mention that in my opinion are a bit expensive.

I just popped over to the DD forum and so far so good.One user had some issues getting set up but the claim was the performance is amazing and one of the best DD sceneries so far.

https://drzewiecki-design.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=505

I am tempted by the DD version I have to say. I may just pick that up.

One question: there was a time when DD were offering free demos but I could not find the Narita one available. Did they now stop offering free demos prior to purchase?

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5 HF2 & 4.5HF2 and sometimes FSX!

i7-8700K @4.5Ghz | MSI Z370 HD3 Tomahawk | MSI GTX 1070Ti Armor 8Gb |16Gb Corsair 3000Mhz DDR4 DRAM| Samsung EVO 850 500Gb Windows|WD Blue 1Tb SSD SATA disk | Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2Tb NMVe SSD disk | Asus 32" PB328Q 2560x1440 |beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler | beQuiet Silent Base 800 tower  beQuiet Pure Power 10 600W PSU

I bought the DD Narita a few hours ago (bought it in 10 seconds without even looking at the features and pics) and just finished my first flight from it.
I think it is an excellent piece of work and the latest charts match it as far as I can see.

I must have used Narita in real life about 70 or 80 times at least in the last two decades. I have watched it change and grow, and it is great to have something that matches the airport today. The detail is really something. I look forward to the Haneda version with anticipation.
Txxxxxbrain did a fairly passable job of Haneda, but their decision to refuse to offer the P3D upgrade for some of their other sceneries to loyal box owners who forked out exorbitant Japan prices before they made their SimMarket debut was bang out-of-order. As such, I look forward to binning it once the DD version comes out.

DD Narita is an absolute belter of a scenery and I will be flying there a lot more now.

P.S. I thought about waiting for the other one, but the support for the previous 6 or 7 DD sceneries I have made me take the plunge.

Edited by ezochi
Added a P.S.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like an insta-buy for me. Awesome news!

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I somewhat reluctantly bought the TechnoBrain rendition of RJTT (Haneda), mostly because I wanted it as a destination for the 2020 Olympics before the CoronaBug took a hammer to everything.  Even on sale, it was a fairly pricey compromise solution for a major destination like Tokyo...a heavy frame hitter that needed a fair bit of work to make it play nice with GSX.

It's good to see RJAA finally up on the map.

Bob Scott | AVSIM Forums Administrator | AVSIM Board of Directors

ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System: i9-10900K @ 5.2GHz on custom water loop, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, 32GB GSkill 3600MHz CAS15, eVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz, 5xSamsung SSD, eVGA 1KW PSU, 1Gbps internet

SB XFi Titanium, optical link to Yamaha RX-V467, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf spkrs, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro, PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensors, Coolermaster HAF932 case, Stream Deck XL button box

2 hours ago, aldridgem said:

Did they now stop offering free demos prior to purchase?

As far as I remember, they tend to offer demos (on their website as well as in the Avsim library) some time after releasing a scenery.
So my guess is, it will come, for those who are undecided. 😊

Rafal Haczek

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

3 hours ago, ezochi said:

DD Narita is an absolute belter of a scenery and I will be flying there a lot more now.

Never heard 'belter' before, but I like it! I might use it now and again 😉

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. Overall I like DD's sceneries and I have most all of them. My own hang-up on their sceneries is the in-terminal night lighting. RJAA's looks like an improvement over that of their previous releases though, as does the whole way that they portrayed the terminal windows.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Excellent news 🙂

Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4GHz · 16GB DDR4 3600 14-15-15 · nVidia GTX1080Ti · Gigabyte x570i WiFi PRO · Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2 SATA · BenQ Designer PD3200Q VA 32" QHD · NZXT H210i · Fully Watercooled · Seasonic Core 650W 80+ GOLD

38.jpg

a little word of warning all of DD installers will automatically change your texture size to 4096 in the settings without telling you they have done so.

for people with VAS issues you might want to turn it back down again.

Edited by fluffyflops

v63vq9-5.png

For those interested I found this Youtube video starring DD's new RJAA scenery. I don't know about this person's graphics settings (possible that its displayed somewhere during the video, but I didn't look for it).

Couple things to point out:

- The trees 'popping' through the fog. I have seen this in many sceneries and I know that you all have seen this as well in P3Dv5. Is it known at all what causes this?

- I'm not entirely convinced by the ground textures. Their shading doesn't seem particularly accurate (the green stripes especially) and the asphalt and concrete seems a little blurry. Essentially it looks like a detail layer superimposed immediately on the satellite imagery.

- VRAM usage is at about 4.5GB throughout the (RJAA part of the) video, which I was very pleasantly surprised about.

- The thing I feared: DD always makes the terminal windows much too 'see through'. RJAA's windows are shaded, making it hard to see inside this clearly, and I don't think DD manages to capture this. It gets worse at night, at which point your only reminder of windows are the window frames... Mind you I've had this issue with DD consistently, all the way back to their KSEA through KORD and UUEE more recently. I really wish they'd change their process. In that sense, ZIM's upcoming RJAA does the real airport more justice. If this is. question of price, I'd be happy to pay a couple bucks more if it means this aspect of the airport is more realistic.

Based on this video, I'm a little less inclined to get DD's RJAA, and instead wait for ZIM's. but let's see for how long I can stand to wait, given that Tokyo is one of my favorite places to fly these days (fond memories).

Benjamin van Soldt

Narita was a great nightstop at virgin until it was pulled by Delta. Many great nights out in the karaoke bar The Cage

https://g.co/kgs/MitqHT

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

v63vq9-5.png