Sign in to follow this  
regis9

DC Designs F15 Released

10 hours ago, Chock said:

**cut**

Now we move to the same issue, the amount of people i see writing hanger instead of hangar 😛

And to remain in topic, in the last discovery series video Asobo mentioned that they will soon start working on turboprops and later on supersonic flight modelling as well.

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

This sums it up quiet nicely, no more words needed:

But...but...but... 177B recommended it highly!? I am sure this reviewer has it totally wrong. 177B is a retired commercial pilot, surely he knows  a good model from a money grab?

35 minutes ago, Janov said:

But...but...but...

I love how he says that this F15 has no business being in MSFS. I love brutally honest reviews.

• Like 6

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 hour ago, Janov said:

But...but...but... 177B recommended it highly!? I am sure this reviewer has it totally wrong. 177B is a retired commercial pilot, surely he knows  a good model from a money grab?

Well I am not a pilot and I don't aspire nor do I pretend to be. But I have been Flight simming for quite a long time. I do it to relax and have fun. So I suppose I am a demographic that the elitist part of the community looks down upon. I have fun with it and don't follow many if any flight rules. Have had a passion for aviation all my life, and get joy and sometimes thrill from flight simming.

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

I love how he says that this F15 has no business being in MSFS. I love brutally honest reviews.

The guy doing the Youtube so-called review took enjoyment in conveying how elitist he thinks of himself in crapping on every little detail. Most EVERYTHING he griped about, I would never have noticed nor cared about. He reveled in crapping all over it. Did you all notice that on this very thread some commented on how harsh they expected comments about the jet to be? All the snobbish derogatory elitism is toxic to the community in attracting new blood. Some just feel they MUST word not allowed all over what the average simmer just considers having fun. I hate to break it to you, but I am the average simmer. I'm not practicing for real world flying skills; I'm relaxing and having fun. I've been at going on 20 years and I enjoy flying under bridges, buzzing control towers and buildings, and approach landings aggressively from high altitudes. I still have fun at it. Yet the community makes me feel like they must think of me as trash because I don't take it seriously enough for them.

I'll probably still buy the plane. Seems fun to me. Have fun bragging about elitist some of you think you are. I'll be having fun gaming in my many sims.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I think you have to view his review in the light of the addon price. It's 40$, which is traditionally way too high for something of this quality. His remarks will probably benefit every casual simmer in the end if it helps inform developers what they can expect on the price point. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

43 minutes ago, Ragnaroq said:

The guy doing the Youtube so-called review took enjoyment in conveying how elitist he thinks of himself in crapping on every little detail. Most EVERYTHING he griped about, I would never have noticed nor cared about. He reveled in crapping all over it...

I'm inclined to agree with you on that score. Having said that, pointing out details which are incorrect are something which can be part of an informed review without being mean. But my issue with not just that review alone, rather with reviews of that nature, aren't so much what he was saying, as how he was saying it. For example, if the engines do not spool up at the correct rate, then in a review I would mention this if I noted it and knew about how the real thing should be, but personally I would temper that by saying that it might not be of concern to everyone.

I think pointing out things such as the sound not altering when opening the canopy and being critical of this is fair enough, I would expect it to do stuff like that when it costs 26 quid. So not everything he was critical of is something I would not also be critical of in a review.

Beyond this, as a general comment on that review, I'm less inclined to regard someone as an expert on the F-15, or think of them as a particularly diligent reviewer for that matter, when they manage to crash the review aeroplane into a hill whilst trying it out - and that was some poor flying right there - then are too lazy to either re-shoot the footage or edit it out, or restart the flight; instead seeming more concerned about being able to publish a review where they haven't even had one single go at attempting to land the thing, because they were more interested in being first in with their review on youtube, rather than producing a review of some actual merit. It's a prime example of channel building fodder rather than caring more about producing quality content.

None of this means I either might broadly agree or disagree with the opinions on the product, or that I might not draw similar conclusions, but as you note, the product is not meant to be for hard core fighter pilots, so being a bit elitist about it, in my opinion, made him come over like a bit of a tw**. Comparisons with DCS are fine, and frankly I agree with him in regards to what you can get from DCS for the same money or less, and even said so earlier on this thread, so long as we don't come across like an elitist tool when bringing that stuff up.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On their Facebook page they've just announced they've figured out how to do mach 2 with the modern flight model. It'll be updated soon along with better cockpit textures. 

• Like 1

I've just skimmed through that heartbreaking review video and as Chock mentioned he never even tried a landing! What kind of half-baked review is that? :dry:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, Janov said:

Hi Janov.

I know we disagree about a few things. In sim circles anyway.

I sim to have fun and distract me from the real world and its concerns. I don't use military in planes DC world for simulated combat, that does not interest me. I do like to fly military trainers and fighters both in X-plane and in FS2020. I even like landing the space shuttle glider in X-plane. So to me it is about the visuals and challenges, real or imagined. 

I especially like carrier landings, and the F15 will get a workout doing that today. 

Flying real planes is a passion of mine as well both full scale and a lot (I have over 40) of RC planes. Lately I have been adding a lot of jets (EDF's) to my RC fleet.

Siming, RC flying and real life flying are all wonderful hobbies. Real flying is different because your life (and others in plane and on the planet surface) are on the line, not to mention the cost of even mild "hangar rash".

I would never fly an Airbus or a fighter jet in real life, so I don't take that seriously. It is fun to try in a sim.

The thing that is so cool about fighters etc in FS2020, is the reality of the visuals.

I find the handling of the F15 to be great and right on par with my X-plane versions as far as flight model is concerned, but the reality of the landscape and atmosphere is what makes FS2020 simulation so special for me at least.

So to me if some of the switches or systems don't work is not a big deal, the fun factor is what counts. And the fun factor is very big for me with the F15 in FS2020.

I also like to support all developers for FS2020, so I buy almost every plane that interests me. Because I think FS2020 is the future of sims. This is just my opinion and I respect others take on simming. For me it is really just a hobby and does not have to be totally authentic. I don't think that is possible in a cheap sim anyway. That said FS2020 and the F15 makes me feel like am landing a fighter for real as I am flying my 4 monitor setup with lots of peripherals I enjoy building and programming.

If you are on a budget there are other alternatives, but if $40 is not a huge investment for you, then as I said before this F15 is a no-brainer addition to FS2020.

Sim on...

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

5 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

I've just skimmed through that heartbreaking review video and as Chock mentioned he never even tried a landing! What kind of half-baked review is that? :dry:

He crashed so he decided to end the review. Any add-on airplane that looks like that inside the cockpit, missing external lighting, and a lack of audio variations has no place in this new sim. I agree with that statement, especially at $40. NO, thank you.

• Like 2

Here's the thing....

THE issue in my opinion has NOTHING to do with any "elitist" attitude that may be implied when someone is giving an honest, factual review of a $40 flightsim product. 

Let's focus on that fact alone. Forty US Dollars (41 actually).  @Andreas Stangenes basically hits the nail on the head.  Regardless if your economic situation may allow you to treat this price as "I spend more on a movie date with my wife" situation, that is not the point here.

I feel the point is you have to have some sort of base to gauge your opinions on.  My base:

bakIFB.jpg

uSuM5Q.jpg

This payware aircraft is $24, has TWO models. exceptional modeling and textures, sounds, FDE, etc.

Of course they are different jets with completely different missions, but the comparison of the 2 based solely on quality is not even close, add to the fact the higher quality one is at approx. 1/2 the price.

Elitist opinions?  I don't think so...just simple facts.

Now, I clearly see that both devs are VERY involved and active in supporting their products, and for this I give huge kudos to both.  This fact makes me optimistic that the F15, given time to mature, may turn into a great package....even at the current price. 

But in my current opinion...no way is it worth $41US as of now, and I strongly feel the dev completely missed the market analysis of how pricing in the new FS world is literally worlds apart from the old days.  Just look how other devs have adapted and seem to be thriving.  I will say it until I'm blue in the face....it makes perfect sense to hit a price point with your product that will yield more money in your pocket...and simple math dictates that 10,000 sales at $10-19 beats 1000 sales at $41 every day of the week. (Scale the price and purchases however you like...you still make more by pricing low with more sales).  At $41, you may have about 3% of xbox'rs.....at $9.99...I'd say 50% would jump in...that is a LOT of lost revenue! 🙄  I don't even factor in the "real" flight simmers, as our numbers in respect to serious sales numbers is a joke compared to the NEW market MSFS has gifted to the devs!

Anyway....I'm not a customer of this product, my opinions only matter to me, and I'm just here to participate in the discussion. 🙂   Those of you who want to go "A thousand miles an hour with your hair on fire" (that you can't really do yet)....$41 gets you close for now...and this plane is 5EX appeal like few others (the quintessential modern fighter).   @ $9.99, I'd be posting pics of me flying thru Star Wars Canyon or the likes....as well as most likely 1000s of others who'd pull the trigger at that price.  At $41, I'm posting this instead and all those others are waiting for reviews and opinions for others with $41 of discretionary spending cash. 😞  

• Like 12

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

4 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

I give huge kudos to both.

Can we please stop "thanking" developers who release unfinished garbage? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Steve, to your point, Dino has put out better looking models with more system modelling and his airplanes were freeware.

Edited by DJJose

I agree, 40 bucks is too much. This is the price I am expecting for the Aerosoft CRJ.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Can we please stop "thanking" developers who release unfinished garbage? 

Hehe....I gave kudos to the fact he (they) seem to be very active in responding rationally on their FB page to comments and issues.  In this age of "post it on a retail site, grab money, ignore customers", this is a desirable trait and bodes well for the dev.  If this was an obvious cash grab, I'd be all over them...does not seem to be, and only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Steve, to your point, Dino has put out better looking models more more system modelling and his airplanes were freeware.

Agreed....flew the pants off the S3 as they flew over my house daily when I was stationed at NAS Jacksonville. (The RAG (Replacement Air Group....Navy slang for training squadron) for S3s was at Cecil.)

And I have no issues with Dino cashing in on all his hard work we sucked up for free in the past.  Glad he jumped in the MSFS pool. 🙂 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg