Sign in to follow this  
BostonJeremy77

LM's silence

@simbol Much respect to you and the other testers doing what they can to focus the LM Development team on meeting the concerns of the community. You guys are really appreciated. And you're right, the next point release will be crucial. Laminar recognized this and is pushing hard with their proposed lighting engine. For me personally, getting True Sky, Waveworks, VRAM usage and less work on core 0 of my CPU (I'm quite happy to see P3D using all 24threads of my 3900X wheras MSFS only uses 6) will definitely keep this sim competitive in our space. Now if we can persuade ORBX to update the textures in Global Base pack that would be great, but honestly I only see that happening if they contract to integrate directly into P3D. Either way it makes the wait easier. When it does drop I'm hoping Hifi and FSlabs will be quick to take advantage.

I hope they worked together with Hifisim because last time it seemed that they did not know about EA.

Only together with Hifi Active Sky there will be a good EA!

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:58 PM, simbol said:

They are busy fixing what we report, a little bit more of patience.. 😉

said it before simbol and Ill say it again.  If, the next update they fix these 3 very simple things, then Ill shut up and eat humble pie and donate 50 quid to a charity of your choice.

1.  the stuttering text box issue, noted many many times on fsl forumns.

2.  the bridge issue at numerous airports (a bug since 5.1)  once again mentioned numerous times on their forumns.

3. the vector data in northern Canada once again noted numerous times on their forumns

note im even going to give them a free pass on the full screen issue  (as apprently thats dx12) 

now, Because im that confident that they wont fix those above three very simple things,  if they dont fix as you said "what we report"  then you have to donate 50 quid to a charity of my choice.

thats a fair deal as you are that confident they will fix, it as im am equally confident they wont. deal ?  50 quid.  Money from baby.

Edited by fluffyflops
  • Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

I will stay with P3D. Of course, there is still a lot of room for improvement with P3D, as there is with MSFS. Until the next P3D update
I enjoy my flight simulator hobby and I will not be angry about every bug in P3D and not get into collecting all bugs. This is certainly more relaxing than waiting daily for a P3D update or posts from the LM P3D development team.

Ruediger

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, omarsmak30 said:

Actually LM silence is a bit irritating, even LR now is starting to keep posting on what they are working on (the YouTube video showing their next gen lighting and it will be more coming), Microsoft and Asobo have been very open with the community and telling us what they are up to and I honestly I appreciate that.

But let's face the reality Jeremy, do you think when all these high end developers are releasing things to MSFS, is there for you a reason to stay in P3D? For me nada, sure I have invested thousands on P3D but I am over it, I consider that as support for our favorite third party developers but seriously, is very hard to go back to P3D.

Who is LR? and where is the youtube channel?

Thanks,

Dave

Whether or not LM is quiet or noisy about updates, there is one outstanding feature and difference about the updates that should be noted.

That is the fact that I am NOT frightened by the prospect of an update by LM.

I remember that we spent hours tweaking P3D and spent a lot of money on addons too. With MSFS we have exchange the tweaking for fixing or trying to fix what was previously stable and OK.

Stability, in my opinion, is something we can count on with LM and something yet to be achieved by MS/Asobo. Surely, that will come in the future, near or far, but I am very happy that I have P3D and XPlane to fall back on when frustration sets in with MSFS.  

It would certainly be incredibly nice to have MSFS graphics as a future feature in these other platforms, but stability does have its place.

One thing is for sure though and that is that they are all great platforms and they will all get better.

Regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, tyda0501 said:

Who is LR? and where is the youtube channel?

Thanks,

Dave

Laminar Research the developer of X-Plane. 

The video:

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

Up until recently I was pretty committed to staying with P3D (for many of the reasons mentioned above) if only they could fix some of the larger bugs that exist in 5.1 (some of which where also mentioned above). But it's got to the point where my patience has simply run out and I'm now exploring further into MSFS. I admit MSFS needs work but what made me switch was largely the continuous improvement and the fact that they seem to be listening and the communicate with the community. It seems to have a brighter more developed future and I can only afford to support one sim. 

I fully acknowledge that LM have a policy of not communicating about releases or the direction of the project. That's completely their prerogative and I'm sure they have their own reasoning for it. That said, I feel that approach might have cost them a few users over the past three months or so. There have been many loyal users of the brand that have been eagerly awaiting some news or advice about what might be coming. Just one post to acknowledge that progress is being made and perhaps an expected release month would probably have been enough for most of us. Most reasonable people accept that things and timings can change....its just communication thats important. People don't like being kept in the dark. 

It's usually 6 or so months between point releases. 5.1 was in October 2020 (although November 28 gave us a HF). 

I'd very much love to hope that a 5.2 is around the corner, but the little winky faces from @simbol (who's opinion I respect) just aren't enough to convince me....they've been coming in various forms for months. HiFi seems to have been very quite on their forums about future progress which surprises me because they almost always were involved in the the release of additional beta versions of ActiveSky before P3D releases.

It's not a case of P3D vs MSFS - each has their own place, and yes LM does have a significant part of it's P3D eye on enterprise solutions (some of which I've had the pleasure of operating). It would just be nice if they reviewed their communications policy slightly. 

• Upvote 1

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

On 6/5/2021 at 5:12 AM, sbclark said:

.....another possibility to consider? 

LM Management, may be, or have been, investigating MSFS, or even negotiating a deal with Asobo/Microsoft, to adopt a "Commercial" version of MSFS? Given this situation, they may be giving pause to current development of P3D V5, to have their entire S/W development team to consider this opportunity from a technical standpoint? As a consequence, no P3D v5.3 update!!!

LM may see that MSFS will be a better longer term technological fit for their business model going forward. The sticking point will be, if they would be able to buy/lease the "source code," to make the necessary code changes for their commercial customers, which may exclude all of us P3D users.

Just saying....

Bill Clark

Somehow, I think this is a possibility too.  I would be interested to know about the original contract clause between LM and Microsoft when LM got the source code for FSX.  I highly doubt that Microsoft would have allowed a contract where they were shut out of the commercial market forever.  More likely, the contract probably stipulated that LM has the rights to the commercial market with FSX, but that LM wouldn't have this right over Microsoft if a new flight sim was developed by Microsoft.  Or perhaps it was time based - such as Microsoft cannot enter the commercial market for another 10 years - and guess what, the 10 year mark has just passed.

If so, it makes sense if LM wants to use MSFS as their base sim for a new generation sim for the commercial market.  This is a win for Microsoft in that they get revenue from LM again. And it's a win for LM because it fends off Microsoft from entering the commercial flight sim market.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

After he explanation of Simbol I don’t mind waiting a little longer.

But the next update has to have at least a much improved EA and  fixed airport taxiway bridges .

After that further bug fixes that already have been named and the overhaul of the AG.

However, even with all that the succes of P3D on our market also depends on addon developers. If only there will be released very few new Addons than people will make the switch to MSFS eventually. No one wants to stay with outdated airports and other Addons being years old.

In the meantime I am flying MSFS without CTD’s like I can fly P3D without CTD’s. 

• Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Next update will be the most important ever because of MSFS (and XP Next Generation/12/wtv).

Any "error" or desilution will mean users giving up in favour of Microsoft's game.

For my part, @Simbol, I just hope that the 8GB of my GPU (and the 16GB of RAM) are still enough....

Edited by Juliett Alfa

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

25 minutes ago, Juliett Alfa said:

Next update will be the most important ever because of MSFS (and XP Next Generation/12/wtv).

Any "error" or desilution will mean users giving up in favour of Microsoft's game.

For my part, @Simbol, I just hope that the 8GB of my GPU (and the 16GB of RAM) are still enough....

If you want a better and improved flightsim you also need a fast pc to be able to use all features and more detailed settings….

The more the sim advanced with new techniques the faster hardware it will need.

A 8 Gb GPU is about the minimum you will need and you will not be able to use a lot of high settings.

But 16 Gb of RAM (above 2600 MHz ) is still able to do the trick.

Keep in mind that the CPU is also very A 5 year old 4 core processor not running overclocked will also not be good enough anymore…

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I know @GSalden, but...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

1 hour ago, Juliett Alfa said:

Let`s hope your 8GB is enough for MSFS when it goes DX12 which will be very soon for XBOX.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg