Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

FlyingFabio says devs are making a killing on MSFS sales

22 hours ago, Chock said:

In other news, the sky is blue and water is wet. Stay tuned for more revelations from Captain Obviou - erm I mean Fabio, soon.

But he'll say it on a twitch stream.   That makes it instantly 10 times more notable, apparently.  😂

Don't see why this wouldn't be true...I mean FS2020 got people like me who were out of the simming scene for 10+ years back in and have purchased a few addons since.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, highflyer2020 said:

Don't see why this wouldn't be true...I mean FS2020 got people like me who were out of the simming scene for 10+ years back in and have purchased a few addons since.

That would be me. 😉

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

FSL barley acknowledges that a new sim exists...lol.  

Yeah, it is like an alternative reality for FSL lol. Let's see how they hold up, I am curious actually. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

4 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Yeah, it is like an alternative reality for FSL lol. Let's see how they hold up, I am curious actually. 

It'll depend on how well they can implement their dubious copy protection mechanisms.  😄

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

That would be me. 😉

bs

Count me in, too

• Like 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

On 6/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, Twenty6 said:

I sure hope this "killing" is being done thru the Marketplace shop. Some people feel it necessary to help fatten the Microsoft bottom line.

So Microsoft provides a platform that expands the enjoyment of your hobby, create opportunities for, and makes money for developers and yet you want them not to profit from benefiting you? SMH 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chrisXX said:

So Microsoft provides a platform that expands the enjoyment of your hobby, create opportunities for, and makes money for developers and yet you want them not to profit from benefiting you? SMH 

I just want free word not allowed haha

Some of you guys are a bit too mean spirited for my taste. I remember when the CEO of MS mentioned them noticing a vibrant third party market for MSFS making them a lot of money, some people came in here to point out that that was just marketing BS. So if FlyingFabio possibly has some insight on the subject, I do think his input is indeed valuable. If the OP is enthusiastic about the success of the sim, I don't see why we should be jerks about it. 

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

Some of you guys are a bit too mean spirited for my taste. I remember when the CEO of MS mentioned them noticing a vibrant third party market for MSFS making them a lot of money, some people came in here to point out that that was just marketing BS. So if FlyingFabio possibly has some insight on the subject, I do think his input is indeed valuable. If the OP is enthusiastic about the success of the sim, I don't why we should be jerks about it. 

Because it is Avsim 😄

The guy from iris said he had picked up enough sales to actually go and get some real life training in an example of the same plane they were selling to help refine the flight model a bit, instead of just relying on book numbers and 2nd hand information, so clearly there is some money in MSFS sales.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Praise Asobo ! Hare Neuman, hare, hare ! Go MFS !  Nuff said 🤣

Concerning Flying Fabio, Youtube and Twitch are overwhelmed by light in content and/or less than honest reviews, commentaries. MS has for instance bought reviews by giving out expensive gears. A robust critical approach with a hefty dose of doubt is a healthy practice. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

4 hours ago, chrisXX said:

Honestly, I would *love* to raise their profit. Originally, I intended to only buy from the Marketplace, first to support them and second to have a unified place for shopping and upgrading.

That was, until I realised a number of major hurdles. (i) New releases are added with a big delay (ii) Upgrades are delayed again, if they ever appear (iii) Files are encrypted (iv) The layout is pretty confusing. ORBX Central and Contrail provide a much more concise overview on what's available, already bought or needs an upgrade.

I could live with (iii) and (iv), but (i) and (ii) ar no-gos for me. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

There are probably enough people that buy from the marketplace, since they do not know or do not care about ORBX et al. On top of that, selling 1 million copies alone means an income of about 50-100 million dollars, so they might have enough to keep development going for a couple of years.
I mean Lockheed has no marketplace and their selling numbers are in the tenth of thousands rather than millions, and still they keep P3D for a lot of years. Sure, they have no server costs, but is it really that much? I wouldn't worry much about Microsoft; even if it was no financial success, it still generated and generates a lot of marketing. So no need for a bad conscience guys 🙂

To believe that buying an addon at the Market Place instead of Steam or at the developer's shop is helping to guaranty a longer MFS market life is literally unfounded as nobody knows the metrics of the business plan behind MFS and the long term goals of MS with the underlying platform. It certainly cannot hurt MFS relative profitability but nothing say that it is decisive to justify further investments.

Speculations are fun and worthy a good (and heated)  forum  discussion. In absence of facts (darn facts never here when you need them !) , the old economist in me still believes that the best consumer attitude is reasonable selfishness (price, quality of service, security of transaction), it helps everybody in the long run.  That is MY speculation 😉. And, oh yes, I do not see any 3PD I want to stay in the business  asking me to buy at the Market Place. They all say they'd rather have me go their shop. Hmmm...

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 6/25/2021 at 12:35 AM, sgreen91 said:

Why do certain people see the need to keep justifying that MSFS is a success.

Or merely marketing here too...almost instantly obvious.