Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

30th June 2021 Developer Q&A: Complete/Quick Summary

1 hour ago, Richard Sennett said:

1st 500 folks that sign up can test new Beta build see below - Steam users cant sign up 😞

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/july-2021-performanceplus-flighting-opportunity-beta-test-sim-update-5/413815

You're a few hrs late. This was posted yesterday. Few of us got in and we get to download it tomorrow 😁 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

Great news about trees! But is it just the radius at more northerly/southerly latitudes that's being fixed, I wonder? The issues certainly appear to be more pronounced there but the tree radius is still pretty awful in the UK, for example, and literally nothing like it was at release or with the tree mods.

This very much smells like a dev likely used a fixed number of degrees to determine the area of trees drawn around the aircraft, not taking into consideration that the Earth is indeed round. I also made this mistake pretty early on when I started getting into GIS stuff at work... 😳

If that is the case, I would expect pretty noticeable improvements at the middle latitudes as well.

• Like 4

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

2 hours ago, MarcG said:

Their ignorance towards DLSS is a bit weird, as they're gonna be working on VR they should well know by now that DLSS brings great performance improvements so I find their response a bit strange

Having experienced Doom Eternal’s ray tracing performance even without DLSS, I get the impression good, old-fashioned engine optimisations can work just as much magic.

• Like 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Hmm so DX12 is postponed. I guess many of us were expecting it to be released alongside the xbox release. Too bad, but such is life. We move on. 

Out of all of this (only read @ChaoticBeauty's transcription - thank you) Im most happy about the tree line. You might find it funny that I care about such trifles, but it is actually a big part of the visual fidelity of MSFS. If you remove the trees, what you are left with is often the SAME smudgy textures you find in P3D, and what good is that when MSFS forte is VFR? I dont mind the smudgy textures so much when it got trees on it - cant see it then, can I? 😉

Now, let's hope they fixed it so we can have our tree fix addon back! Give me trees to the horizon plox! 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes
  • Like 4

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

SU5 performance jump looks stunning, but with the caveat he’s running at render scale 40 which is very low. Hopefully improvements will scale similarly at different render scales.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Just now, Andreas Stangenes said:

Renderscale of 40..? Who runs with that?

Yeah... the second I saw that I started to wonder what the real increase will be for those of us running at or near 4K at 100 scaling.

The prospect of the glass being processed separately from the main thread was the most exciting thing to me. Hopefully this'll help with the FBW airbus and the upcoming WT Garmin glass. 

• Like 4

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

he’s running at render scale 40

I think that was in purpose, in order for him to hit the CPU bound scenario and show how the sim was limited by the CPU (aka main thread) even with small render scale and how it is no longer CPU bound but more on the GPU side

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

Sebastian Wloch, apparently 😅

• Like 1

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

12 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I never tried rendering at TAA 40, not even under VR, but given Seb used it I must say the result still looks quite convincing to me.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

Yeah... the second I saw that I started to wonder what the real increase will be for those of us running at or near 4K at 100 scaling.

The prospect of the glass being processed separately from the main thread was the most exciting thing to me. Hopefully this'll help with the FBW airbus and the upcoming WT Garmin glass. 

Lower resolutions will have more CPU bottleneck. How is the GPU usage on your end? @4k, I bet it's closer to 100%, right?

If so, I doubt you will see 60% of improvement on your FPS, but he said other improvements are made with the number of vertices calculated, which would free some proccess power from your GPU. 

As I understand it, Seb's gains, showed on the video, will be the best case scenario. He had a huge CPU bottleneck and a mid-tier GPU. Other people will see improvements, but maybe not close to 60% like him.

• Like 5

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

So DX 12 is postponed and they aren't sure now if it will even bring performance improvements to PC?

What's not to Love in this update!

Chris Camp

10 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

Lower resolutions will have more CPU bottleneck. How is the GPU usage on your end? @4k, I bet it's closer to 100%, right?

I am actually about as balanced as it can get right now with my 9900K and 3080, running at 3840x1600 ultrawide. My GPU runs at 100% and I have those one or two cores on the CPU pegged as well. I am capped at 60 FPS unless I am over a large city or large, detailed airport, in which it sometimes goes as low as 40-45. I don't need a bunch more FPS, but I would certainly take whatever it'll give me, especially if it means I can leave ultra clouds enabled at all times.

• Like 1

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

I am actually about as balanced as it can get right now with my 9900K and 3080, running at 3840x1600 ultrawide. My GPU runs at 100% and I have those one or two cores on the CPU pegged as well. I am capped at 60 FPS unless I am over a large city or large, detailed airport, in which it sometimes goes as low as 40-45. I don't need a bunch more FPS, but I would certainly take whatever it'll give me, especially if it means I can leave ultra clouds enabled at all times.

In your case, I bet you won’t get those 60% improvement on the FPS, but I think you will see, at least, less stutters and a little improvements on FPS. 

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel