Sign in to follow this  
jarmstro

X-Planes big chance!

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

XP12 will certainly have the current users (i.e. the same users it had less than 2 years ago, and they're more users than it ever had before), plus ...

One of the reasons that there isn't a "nail in the coffin" is because LR is a business, and that business has a mobile product that I've heard rumored exceeds the revenue for X-Plane itself.  I have no idea if this is true, but it exists and is being updated.

We know there is shared code between these two products.  So selling more mobile would not only help fund the improvement of X-Plane without needing to sell a single copy of it, the improvements to mobile may directly land in both code bases.

As long as there is enough to cover "PC-specific improvements to X-Plane" versus "we improved the multi-player code we share between desktop and mobile", it should be fine.

• Like 1

Hi,

Anyone that runs a network (and cannot do without it) will be staying with XP for the foreseeable future, MS2020 does not support networking!  Same holds true for those (like myself) that reply on a hardware/software interface for their aircraft of choice.  Then there is the issue (if networking is ever possible) of trying to load up three to five 4K monitors and a server computer with online tiles... Could see my service provider throttling me on a regular basis. Then there are those that don't have unlimited data plans, ouch!

IMHO, Xplane isn't going anywhere any time soon; so put away your hammers... There will be no final nail in any coffin, at least not in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

On 9/11/2021 at 6:11 PM, fogboundturtle said:

I would never fly XP11 in a Vanilla state. no one does either. 

You're supposed to troubleshoot what is causing your performance issues, not use that setup for daily usage, FFS.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

11 minutes ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Anyone that runs a network (and cannot do without it) will be staying with XP for the foreseeable future, MS2020 does not support networking!  Same holds true for those (like myself) that reply on a hardware/software interface for their aircraft of choice.  Then there is the issue (if networking is ever possible) of trying to load up three to five 4K monitors and a server computer with online tiles... Could see my service provider throttling me on a regular basis. Then there are those that don't have unlimited data plans, ouch!

What? I can't make sense of anything you have said. Geeks only then for X-Plane?

34 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

What? I can't make sense of anything you have said. Geeks only then for X-Plane?

Hi,

Let me try and make this simple to understand.

1. MS2020 does not support networking. I run five computers so MS2020 will not work for me. 

2. No hardware/software support for my equipment. I run the Zibo mod 737NG with numerous LUA scripts for all my hardware. Non of this exists in MS2020, I'd have to create my own aircraft and hardware/software interface.

3. Service provider throttling customers as well as data caps. This should be self explanatory. 

Does that help any?

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

4 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Does that help any?

Not really.

1.  5 PC's? Good for you. Is it an engineering tool by any chance?

2. You are right. The Zibo mod won't work in MSFS.

3. Consider getting another service provider.

But I take your point. All those with 5 networked PC's have to run X-Plane because MSFS is very lacking in this respect.

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

Hi,

Anyone that runs a network (and cannot do without it) will be staying with XP for the foreseeable future, MS2020 does not support networking!  Same holds true for those (like myself) that reply on a hardware/software interface for their aircraft of choice.  Then there is the issue (if networking is ever possible) of trying to load up three to five 4K monitors and a server computer with online tiles... Could see my service provider throttling me on a regular basis. 

Setups like that likely represents a very very small percentage of X-Planes active user base.

Unless of course flight schools and other "serious" setups make up a large % of their active user base / revenue.

Edited by Gulfstream

7 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Not really.

1.  5 PC's? Good for you. Is it an engineering tool by any chance?

2. You are right. The Zibo mod won't work in MSFS.

3. Consider getting another service provider.

But I take your point. All those with 5 networked PC's have to run X-Plane because MSFS is very lacking in this respect.

He has a complete 737 pit in his house , so multiple systems.

Check his videos you will see.

• Like 3

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Double post... sorry :-&

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I believe Mike started up with a similar setup for Prepar3d and latter jumped into X-Plane.

It's the kind of user most of us would dream to match, but can't because of our bosses and wives. Bosses and wives are actually part of a whole constellation against flightsimming ! ASOBO took that into consideration - they're more like marketing engineers than flight dynamics engineers 🙂

Jokes apart I guess the smoothness of the instrument displays in X-Plane, as well as the quality of the most detailed / study-level aircraft add-ons, as well the ease of development / maintenance that it makes available to it's users / developers make X-Plane a winner in this field too...

Guys like Mike, which I would like to be able to become one day, also can easily give up on some really nice graphics / scenery, and area where MFS is 2nd to none of the flight simulator games I play, for accuracy, quality of the flight dynamics and systemns modelling, etc... Guys like those who can't accept that such basic stuff as the still ( and ever! ) present leaning bug still plagues the reciprocating engines of the shining ASOBO / MS sim...

It's all a question of cost / benefit ... I used to use Aerowinx PSX too ( too complex for my shrinking neural network(s) these days... ) and there were pretty much no out-of-windshield details other than a few points of light and nice light effects ( including St. Elmo's "fire" ), because it IS second to NADA regarding the modelling of a Boeing 747-4xx

Edited by jcomm
typos..as usual :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

He has a complete 737 pit in his house , so multiple systems.

Check his videos you will see.

Ah. I sort of thought that might be the case once I'd thought about it.

Sad thing is, in to days world, this may be the only flying we will ever get to do, so enjoy it before we loose this too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mike_CFII_MEL said:

1. MS2020 does not support networking. I run five computers so MS2020 will not work for me. 

2. No hardware/software support for my equipment. I run the Zibo mod 737NG with numerous LUA scripts for all my hardware. Non of this exists in MS2020, I'd have to create my own aircraft and hardware/software interface.

3. Service provider throttling customers as well as data caps. This should be self explanatory. 

1. MSFS supports muti-threading so you only need multiple cores not multiple computers Lol unlike XP which is a single core bottle necked mess which may get worked on sometime, or not.

2. MSFS has only been out for a year or so and there are a tonne of aircraft in development including the Fenix/Prosim and Pmdg line.

3. If you have a poor bandwidth then streaming graphics will never work, and probably not Netflix either 🤣

25 minutes ago, Greazer said:

unlike XP which is a single core 

Not true, flight model is multicore, AI as well, scenery loading, aircraft systems...

Only thing keeping it CPU bound is parallel rendering to farm out frames to another core. This is why reflections are so cpu expensive in Xplane however they are actually working on this:

we can pivot back to performance and push hard on multicore. The next multicore goal is to be able to render multiple views in parallel using multiple cores. Parallel rendering has several benefits:

• An X-Plane frame often has sub-views rendered to form the main view (e.g. shadows, water reflections, cube maps, in-cockpit cameras, etc.). Any concurrency we expose makes the sim faster in these scenarios, and they are common.
  • Right now while multi-monitor is possible with X-Plane, it is very expensive performance-wise. Having a frame that can be farmed out to multiple cores would make multi-monitor less of a performance hit.

Note that multi-core multi-monitor would still be single GPU, and it would be a win because right now CPU time limits multi-monitor setups.

What about multiple GPUs? That’s something we’ll have to look at after we have multicore on the CPU–without it second GPU support doesn’t help.

Maybe I won't need to upgrade my Ryzen 3700X, however I will with out a single doubt replace my RTX2060S with RTX3070 if I ever find one.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1