Sign in to follow this  
Greazer

XP 12 Sneak Peek (Clouds)

25 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

But all I care about is whether it will run, with the graphics we have been titillated by, on my average PC? What's  the secret? Yes or no?

No, it won´t run on your PC.

Good bye and happy flying! 🙂

19 minutes ago, strider1 said:

You can always adjust the sliders in the settings section to 'Normal Mortals' specs. And when you upgrade to the next generation of PC hardware you can crank up the sliders and enjoy all the eye-candy!  

So will XP12 only be fully available to those who have "next generation" PC's? It's a genuine question. I have an i710700 with a rtx2070. Will I get the graphics shown in the videos with a playable fps?

31 minutes ago, Janov said:

No, it won´t run on your PC.

Good bye and happy flying! 🙂

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and is not in keeping with the pinned post on this forum.😂 I still  like it though...Every time you take off you are destroying the planet. Think on that.😀😂

Edited by jarmstro

23 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

So will XP12 only be fully available to those who have "next generation" PC's? It's a genuine question. I have an i710700 with a rtx2070. Will I get the graphics shown in the videos with a playable fps?

If you won't, then I'm screwed as well with my RTX2060S 😄

But seriously, we both have better hardware than what most LR staff have and on a logical sense there is really no reason to expect the whole move to Vulkan will result in ~25FPS on *their* hardware for Xplane12.

If comparing to MSFS, it has pretty HUGE demands for recommended specs, an RTX2080TI IIRC but this is where settings obviously come to mind.

So no one knows now, even LR, what the exact demands will be but we will probably be OK since they are developing those features and testing them on weaker hardware.

But most importantly, the new features are not "additions" they are complete replacements designed to take advantage of what modern GPUs are designed for as well. So the best speculation IMO will be: we will probably have better graphics for lower Xplane12 settings than what can be achieved in Xplane11 higher settings, still the same FPS more or less, better or not will highly depend on your GPU as this is where they are shifting those features to. So if in Xplane11 max reflections look nice but will kill your CPU, maybe in Xplane12 low settings they will look nice as Xplane11 higher settings but more GPU bound, with that in mind an RTX2070 and my RTX2060S should definitely be on par with relatively high settings for a 2021 industry standard benchmark.

But other than that, we just need to be patient and wait for an official announcement, after they optimize, fix bugs and lots more, "lots of work" he says in the video.

Edited by akita
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Janov said:

Who said that performance would go down, though? I (and most folks running sensible settings) get framerates in the 60s. While it is true that LR said that you should not expect framerates to improve with XP12...no one said that they will tank to the 20s, either.

You get those fps in XP11 with Vulkan and without those new effects. Those fps are the cycles they are calculating the new effects with.

Also noone said performance would go down, I think. Just that it wouldnt go up. By the way "tank to the 20s" sounds a bit funny for people who have been using XP for longer than a few month - fps in the twenties have been the norm with XP for years and they are still - if you are using a few addons and daring enough to let the sim draw a few of its very simple buildings.

Lots of people on the org forums have actually been preaching that 25 fps are absolutely sufficient and that more is not possible. If memory doesn't fail me, you have been one of those people.

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

4 hours ago, mtaxp said:

"Not allowed" is one way to twist it, or just take the official answer of LR that it is too soon as they are still focusing on adding the features, I mean austin literaly says it in the video, what is more needed as a "proof" that it is too soon to talk about? 

There is no actual discussion here, you guys are speculating and nitpicking everything regardless of what LR are doing or even saying. You are feeding your own speculations and preseneting them as facts, what's the point/interest doing that in every thread? Please do answer where LR and their "friends" said this is going to be the perfromance. You can't huh?

First off, I don't care what Austin Meyer says, I care what he does. I know what Austin Meyer considers market ready from first hand experience.

Now people discuss factual fps data presented by Austin Meyer himself - but sure, my speculation and whatnot.

Do you realize he could just have turned the counter off? And what would you how much optimization we can expect best case? 10 percent more fps? 20 percent? On a baseline of 25 fps? Lol.

Austin said there will be optimizations? Austin also said he tried MSFS and it really looked bad and his solution was much better. Entertaining video. So yeah.

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Not once in the history of software development has a new, visually more complex release of a software resulted in lower hardware requirements with better visuals than its predecessor. If you want all the bells and whistles, get better hardware. Period, end of discussion, over and out, etc.

That said, even my 5800X & 6900XT combo will likely start sweating with XP12 and my 4800H & 2060 powered laptop will be completely out of the loop.

• Like 3

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Nobody knows but the software engineers at LM. Whats your definition of playable FPS and what monitor resolution are you running?

Your 2070 is slightly better then my dated 1080, so stop whining 🤪

We cant expect next gen graphics to run at the bleeding edge on old/mediocre hardware. Just like my old Commodore 64 can not run any version of XP...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

44 minutes ago, rka said:

First off, I don't care what Austin Meyer says, I care what he does. I know what Austin Meyer considers market ready from first hand experience.

Now people discuss factual fps data presented by Austin Meyer himself - but sure, my speculation and whatnot.

Do you realize he could just have turned the counter off? And what would you how much optimization we can expect best case? 10 percent more fps? 20 percent? On a baseline of 25 fps? Lol.

Austin said there will be optimizations? Austin also said he tried MSFS and it really looked bad and his solution was much better. Entertaining video. So yeah.

So what's your point actually? To already convince everyone that x-plane 12 will have bad fps? Or a legitimate concern? If the latter, then it was already answered, it is an un-optimized code that is also full of debug and testing tools that drive performance down even more, this 100% won't be the state of the final product and it is obvious. 

1 hour ago, rka said:

You get those fps in XP11 with Vulkan and without those new effects. Those fps are the cycles they are calculating the new effects .

No. Most of those effects are replacing the old ones and going to already idle gpu times, they are very common in x-plane 11.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

So what's your point actually? To already convince everyone that x-plane 12 will have bad fps? Or a legitimate concern?

No, I just like discussing about flightsim stuff 🙂

6 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

it was already answered, it is an un-optimized code that is also full of debug and testing tools that drive performance down even more, this 100% won't be the state of the final product and it is obvious. 

It will be answered when the product is released. As of now, we have a video indicating performance in the twenties, and words.

9 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

No. Most of those effects are replacing the old ones and going to already idle gpu times,

Possibly. Hopefully.

10 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

idle gpu times, they are very common in x-plane 11.

True.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

Not once in the history of software development has a new, visually more complex release of a software resulted in lower hardware requirements with better visuals than its predecessor. If you want all the bells and whistles, get better hardware. Period, end of discussion, over and out, etc.

That said, even my 5800X & 6900XT combo will likely start sweating with XP12 and my 4800H & 2060 powered laptop will be completely out of the loop.

Well there isn't really hardware available that would be an upgrade for you. Alder lake would probably give you 15% more fps at best.

My 4600H &1650ti laptop is capable of running the competing product absolutely fine in 1080p.

4 hours ago, rka said:

Aside from what @Rob_Ainscough just said, which really nails it.

I spent a lot of time on the clouds with EC. If you look around at xenviro comments you will also get an idea of how much of a pain Clouds are to manage.

LR have a 60fps baseline.

But I also agree, these clouds have a very long way to go before they are remotely close to ready. The formations are borken, the color is whack and perf is clearly trash at the moment.

Austins probably just happy they finally have some running on his mac.

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

IMHO, marketing software on the basis it runs on "average" hardware isn't a selling point, it's a limitation.

It would certainly be a limitation on sales because those with average hardware just won't buy it. Gods teeth, I can't even run XP11 maxed out!

Edited by jarmstro

When FSX came we out we had the same issue, people keep demanding than complain when they get what they asked for. If you want bugs getting squished on your windshield its going to come at a price, its stupidity and ignorance to think it wont, but people will demand and people will continue to comlain, " it wont run on my 286 and win 3.11" get real.

• Upvote 3