Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

December 2nd, 2021 - Development Update

49 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Hm... don't understand the happiness of some here... Instead of releasing the fixes, which are in place already, they want to do a public beta, and NOT for Steam (which I am on, of course) and NOT today but monday and who knows how long that beta will take and you might have to reinstall MSFS...

Things are already broken so fixes can only FIX them or keep them broken: what worse can happen? So why don't they simply release the fixes TODAY?! I also expected a hotfix sooner that this...

It stinks that MS can't offer the beta option to steam, but considering the problems that were in the SU7 release I can understand why MS/Asobo want to get a wide a range of testers on this as possible before launch to make sure the problems are actually fixed and identify any knock-on effects.

Edited by Matchstick

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

Hm... don't understand the happiness of some here... Instead of releasing the fixes, which are in place already, they want to do a public beta, and NOT for Steam (which I am on, of course) and NOT today but monday and who knows how long that beta will take and you might have to reinstall MSFS...

Things are already broken so fixes can only FIX them or keep them broken: what worse can happen? So why don't they simply release the fixes TODAY?! I also expected a hotfix sooner that this...

Because without enough testing, they could break things further.

The "fix" could be worse than what we have now without proper testing.  Just let them beta test their fix.  It will be out in due time.  If you can't wait, then maybe sign up for the beta testing yourself.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, Matchstick said:

If you are concerned about the beta potentially wiping things out, do you have anywhere you could backup your MSFS folder to ?

That way if the worst does happen you can restore the folder and point the MSFS application at it.

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Last time I was in the beta; it wiped my whole install after. And it wasn’t worth it, at all. 

Thanks guys for the feedback.   Sorry, it changed part of my original text (C followed by a colon) to a smiley for some reason.  I have edited it.  

So I do have a 3Gb WD black HD that I have plenty of space on.  I might drag my whole MSFS folder (official folder, community etc.) over to this as a backup.  No big deal.
So I could maybe drag it all back it something goes wrong.  I notice the installation path is also noted in the last line of the user config.

I might also track down some settings folders on the C drive as well and back them up also just in case.

On another note, I am just relieved they have communicated and are looking to fix things.  It was the waiting without any communication that I found the most frustrating.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, JDWalley said:

it seems like the best thing to do would simply be to shut down the sim until 12/6

or you fly live weather at max FL240 like I just did with the FBW...

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

It sounds like the patch is going in the 'default' location which I assume is on the C drive.
I currently have MSFS installed on my E: drive, which is a fast NVME M.2 type, so I might be alright.

The drive does not matter, you just have to make sure the content is not installed in the default WpSystem directory. I used to have everything installed in the default locations on my D drive (launcher in WindowsApps, packages in WpSystem), and it would get wiped out when leaving the beta. Now I keep the content on its own folder in my C drive, and did not have any issues with the last two betas.

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Then again, does anyone know how bit the beta patch is likely to be based on past participation?

The beta patch installs over your live installation (which means should you wish to return to the live build, you need to reinstall from scratch), so the download size should be similar to that of typical live updates. Since this looks like a hotfix for Sim Update 7, I expect it to be rather small. Even if it is large though, you still get an advantage because the download size is greatly reduced on the official patch day.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

The drive does not matter, you just have to make sure the content is not installed in the default WpSystem directory. I used to have everything installed in the default locations on my D drive (launcher in WindowsApps, packages in WpSystem), and it would get wiped out when leaving the beta. Now I keep the content on its own folder in my C drive, and did not have any issues with the last two betas.

The beta patch installs over your live installation (which means should you wish to return to the live build, you need to reinstall from scratch), so the download size should be similar to that of typical live updates. Since this looks like a hotfix for Sim Update 7, I expect it to be rather small. Even if it is large though, you still get an advantage because the download size is greatly reduced on the official patch day.

Great - that's clear.  Sincere thanks for your help on this CB! 

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I'm happiest about them deciding to officially support Blender in the SDK. That's huge for those of us that don't want to spend all of that money on 3ds Max.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

8 hours ago, roland said:

..and what about the constantly reverting back to EASY settings in the Assistance Options?

And my mouse settings revert at the same time each time.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, roland said:

..and what about the constantly reverting back to EASY settings in the Assistance Options?

A minor thing to fix but by the look of things they couldn't care less. Very disappointing.

Roland

They cover that in the announcement on page 1:

1. All assistance options automatically gets set to easy every time you relaunch the sim or sometimes between flights
    1. The team has confirmed and identified the issue. A fix is in place for an upcoming release.

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, DAD said:

or you fly live weather at max FL240 like I just did with the FBW...

Heh, then I'd rather just leave it. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

So, are we sure this is just about fixes for a videogame?

Cause' honestly, you could almost swear that lives were at stake, here.....

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

50 minutes ago, Sethos said:

It's not a thread without HiFlyer playing mod or trying to dismiss what people are saying with the usual trollish tone 🙂

Well gosh! I'm flattered somebody is keeping such close track of me! Besides my cat, that is.

Meanwhile I'm sure you know, more than one can play ye' olde forum search game, but since lives actually aren't at stake, why on earth would I spend the time?

Though I admit it is probably my fault that I do find it occasionally interesting, in a slowing down on the-highway to gawp at a car crash sort of way, to watch the repetitive goings-on.

In the meanwhile, one can only hope that the Asobo-ites are some exceedingly charitable people, and are in fact still paying attention to our daily dead-horse-beatings, despite our best efforts to make visiting here be about as attractive for them as a vigorous bout of self-flagellation.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

13 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

As software engineer myself, sometimes I feel sorry for Asobo devs when I read some comments in Avsim. 

I truly was the same way for a while, but my patience is wearing thin and the testers at Asobo are either incompetent or being told to let bugs ship. 

4 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

So, are we sure this is just about fixes for a videogame?

Cause' honestly, you could almost swear that lives were at stake, here.....

There is no problem with taking a break from something that you'll appreciate more when you get back to it.

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER