Sign in to follow this  
PiaggioPilot

New PC, first ever MSFS install & instant CTDs... Help :(

Speaking for myself (based a lot on this thread) iff i do upgrade at some point, i am def going for a higher watt PSU.

and research some models first :one example voltage surges and spikes. Its the "inexplicable thermal and stability problems" that i will look up on.

☺️

Thx for the link BTW

Glad to confirm power supply was the issue. We build gaming systems daily, 650w is truly inadequate for today's crop of hardware. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, OneOfMany said:

650w is truly inadequate for today's crop of hardware. 

sure? I thought "anything above 650 watts PSU is just marketing hype" considering EVGA+ ASUS suggesting on their PSU calculator sites 650 watts should suffice. 😊

remember: the next generation of CPU+GPUs will increase power requirements yet again, from early reports we can expect another 100-150 watts. come DX12 + DLSS, MSFS will be using ever more of your CPU and GPU cores like no simulator before, something we have always requested. again, this is irrelevant for 6 year old pc's running at 1K resolution, 1.000 watt power supplies are only required by "power" users. 😊

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

51 minutes ago, 40track said:

Look what's coming next in PSU GPU requirements. Too each their own but this link shows anyone who doesn't believe that technology continually evolves. 

RTX 4000 & RX 7000 Require WHAT?! - YouTube

All fine and dandy .. that wasn't the point of the thread though.. Fixing the OP's PC was. I've got no issue with power requirements and new GPUS.. Ive already upgraded my gpu twice over since the sim was released  and upgraded the PSU as required to meet the requirements of my system (which i run overclocked without issue in the sim) and will continue to do so .. the disagreement is adequacy and i will go with what the GPU manufacturers and major OEMs say what it needs rather than some random group think who think to jump to wattage inadequacy without thorough testing and deduction through proper troubleshooting.

I didnt even bother reading the rebuttal articles posted by some people because clearly they have no clue what they are talking about if they are going to pull up articles where the test components are RTX 3090 GA102 CHIPS with their own unique power requirements to rebutt power draw arguments based on the OP's  RTX3070 .. which uses a GA104 GPU.. a different chip altogether which draws a whole lot less power. Not to mention the other factors involved which includes the GPU board design and power delivery.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

8 minutes ago, Maxis said:

All fine and dandy .. that wasn't the point of the thread though.. Fixing the OP's PC was. I've got no issue with power requirements and new GPUS.. Ive already upgraded my gpu twice over since the sim was released  and upgraded the PSU as required to meet the requirements of my system (which i run overclocked without issue in the sim) and will continue to do so .. the disagreement is adequacy and i will go with what the GPU manufacturers and major OEMs say what it needs rather than some random group think who think to jump to wattage inadequacy without thorough testing and deduction through proper troubleshooting.

Another thought other than the now known 650W PSU issue could have been that ram may have not been seated properly and/or heatsink. However yes you're right on overstepping on the post. To see it resolved is a good thing is what its all about.

Edited by 40track
  • Upvote 1

Since the OP has fixed his computer and we’ve continued into debate and arguments, we’ll lock this one up.

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator