Sign in to follow this  
bendead

[19APR22] PMDG 737 Development Update: Let's talk about Earl

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

It definitely is...  I couldn't manage to get it started last night even with the generous people who wrote on my overhead panel screenshot LOL

You people are all funny....None of this stuff is "Study Level".

All of these products and add-ons are basically entertainment level type stuff.

Most of us don't need to study anything to play MSFS2020!!!!

This PMDG737 is so over-hyped it's crazy. It's gonna be fun to watch people's disappointment when it proves to be less than all the hype has you believing!

Edited by tpete61
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steve Dra said:

some in our community are quick to garb their pitchforks and hit the airwaves spouting how horrible this much-anticipated release is

This is a highly anticipated, much hyped release, that many of us have been waiting for since the launch of MSFS - me included. I've no doubt that the finished product will be amazing, being familiar with PMDG from other sims. However, such an anticipated addon is bound to be scrutinized, sometimes unfairly so. As all addons are. In a way I feel sorry for the dev team that this Fabio Flop happened just a few hours after they lifted the embargo. I'm sure they'll track down the bug or whatever reason for the unfortunate incident. In the meantime I'm a happy camper cruising along in the FBW A320. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, jarmstro said:

It so odd to me that commercial software developers for this sim (and in general) are unique in that they get a free pass from criticism . We are expected to shower them with praise, love, tolerance and understanding. If I buy a car and it doesn't work as intended I do not feel sympathy for the manufacturer. The problem here is a total lack of any competition it seems to me.

Competition would be certainly healthy, but if there isn't any, maybe that tells us something about the achievement of PMDG? I've said in other places: I dislike a couple of things they do (or rather don't do) in regards to usability and 3rd party integration (Simbrief, GSX), and I dislike their negligence of P3D (and sometimes updates to previous products in general), BUT they are the only company in flight simulation history that delivered three different study level tubeliners with all their variants. If they have no competition even after all those years they must be doing something right.
That said I agree with you that constant (constructive) criticism is a good thing and should please not lead to fundamental and absolute "friend or foe / love or hate" discussions. One can love PMDG's products (like I do, they are my absolute favourites) and still be vocally unhappy with certain things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

You people are all funny....None of this stuff is "Study Level".

All of these products and add-ons are basically entertainment level type stuff.

Most of us don't need to study anything to play MSFS2020!!!!

This PMDG737 is so over-hyped it's crazy. It's gonna be fun to watch people's disappointment when it proves to be less than all the hype has you believing!

I think most people are expecting a P3D-like 737 with upgraded visuals in a visually upgraded simulator. I fail to see how there is room for disappointment, this is not an all-new product like the Fenix.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Let's remember x-plane, fsx, and p3d we heard the same excuses about code improvements, code optimization, blaming each simulator problem on SDK, while constantly moving to different projects leaving unfinished products, and carrying over the same issues to the next release.
This "early adopter period" it's another way of playing with people's minds. Good for them, now we gonna have a "continued maintenance phase", different empty words as we had with the previous products as to "we continue to improve our products".
From what I noticed from all these early videos and past products we have nice eye candy cockpits and exteriors, excellent aircraft dynamics, some systems with very accurate and very realistic behavior but, unfortunately, the most important and the heart of the simulation LNAV (magenta line depiction) is broken and not fixed for years.
Now, the same old acknowledged bug strikes again on a new platform. What a mentality.
And all this is because apparently for them it is not a priority.
I feel really sorry for the programmers, painters, and beta testers because of these bad decisions from the top.
Maybe is time for a change to prioritize to keep the customer happy and fix first what is to be fixed versus jumping to new ideas or projects for the moment. A happy customer for sure will bring more monetary rewards. 
Edited by LRBS
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

I feel bad for Rob and PMDG tbh. He couldn't have been more transparent and open about the process but people are already breaking out the conspiracy theories.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I will be holding off. Per their timeline they want to release 4 variants over 6 months. I'm sure they won't be adding new features in that time. It'll be near a year before it leaves early adopter status at best. Seems like a blatant cash grab.

19 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I feel bad for Rob and PMDG tbh. He couldn't have been more transparent and open about the process but people are already breaking out the conspiracy theories.

I would not feel too bad for Rob, 98% (probably higher) of MSFS users have never even heard of Avsim.  They spend their time watching YouTube and Twitch, maybe go on Reddit.  The sales for this aircraft will be 10x higher than all of their previous 737 releases, all will be well.  

• Like 3

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I for one don't really care if its early access, pre-release, fully featured or not, study level or not, cash grab or not, I will buy it day one, this is my way of supporting PMDG....period!

Im sure a few here will bite their tongues and end up doing the same

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

57 minutes ago, LRBS said:

From what I noticed from all these early videos and past products we have nice eye candy cockpits and exteriors, excellent aircraft dynamics, some systems with very accurate and very realistic behavior but, unfortunately, the most important and the heart of the simulation LNAV (magenta line depiction) is broken and not fixed for years.

Now, the same old acknowledged bug strikes again on a new platform. What a mentality ... Maybe is time for a change to prioritize to keep the customer happy and fix first what is to be fixed versus jumping to new ideas or projects for the moment. A happy customer for sure will bring more monetary rewards. 

Like many have already said including me, putting out a first release of 737 for MSFS with functionally equivalent LNAV to their P3D version is not a dealbreaker, far from it. And PMDG is going to be rewarded monetarily in a big way.

And speaking to some other discussion about being critical vs heaping praise on PMDG... In terms of criticism of a developer, it all comes down to whether its warranted/constructive vs farcical and conspiracy theory based. For example when they do release to the public, if they've *not* done a good job in squashing reproducible non-trivial bugs, definitely a cause to berate them.. if they release their initial 737-700 with major missing functionality that was in their P3D version and within their control to implement, definitely another cause to criticize them... etc etc.  But that's not the case here as facts speak for themselves. Conversely, If they take longer to release due to hunting down hard-to-reproduce non-trivial bugs, that is *not* a valid cause to criticize

Given what Rob says re: the bug that hit Fabio, I'm inclined to be more comforted rather than set my hair on fire re: the quality of the pending release: "We have never been able to make it happen in-house in spite of trying and in the other 65 days of testing nobody has seen this happen. If you happen to recall where it happened to you, that would be useful information. We are collecting data on it, because we want to prove it IS our airplane just as much as we want to prove that it ISN'T. One of those answers has to be proven. - RSR" ... And feature-set wise, more than clear now it will be fully capable if not better than it was in P3D.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

51 minutes ago, garlicbread11 said:

and I’m sure we are all going to love flying the bird

Despite everything else I can add to my tagline, I'm still a simmer 1st and foremost.

Talking as a simmer, I can attest that I love flying this bird!   Everyone's expectations exist at different levels, and I know this release won't completely please everyone (none ever do), but the team is hoping that you'll enjoy her as much as we have...when flying her as simmers.

• Like 5

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Im more hyped about the MD80 , no hype no  lengthy wordy gimmicky posts from the ceo, just a few preview vids on youtube w unknown channels so far, lol. The plane does look amazing though and cant wait for it to drop.  PMDG is always full of hype and drama. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I wonder if the "Early Adopter" program with reduced features (and expectations) will result in a bit of a price reduction upon release? I am looking forward to the release of the PMDG B737 to MSFS and hope it operates well and does bring us a high level of stability, performance and realism.

Jim Morgan