Sign in to follow this  
RALF9636

Fenix and performance

6 hours ago, wiler said:

90% of these "my perf is terrible" would be eliminated if people ran locked @ 30FPS w vsynch. You can dial up most of the eye candy too and run smooth and stutter free. Instead you want 45pfs which is hardly noticeable anyways. to each their own ... 

Speak for yourself!

I get random drops to the low twenties (which causes micro stutters) with everything on "High", terrain at 100, at 2k with FPS locked on 30.

This is with AI traffic "On" as I refuse to fly with it "OFF"!

This is with an i9-9900k OC at 4.9, with a 2080 Super and 32 ram on an Nvme drive...

Would love to know how the hell people are getting 30+ consistent FPS!

Edited by Kilo60
  • Upvote 1

Chris Camp

25 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

with a 2080 Super and 32 ram on an Nvme drive...

I don’t have the plane, but that’s a weak card, so, I would suspect it’s that. 

7 hours ago, wiler said:

90% of these "my perf is terrible" would be eliminated if people ran locked @ 30FPS w vsynch.

For Nvidia users, turning on Vsync and locking FPS via Nvidia control Panel (and OFF in the sim), will give higher performance and increased smoothness than using those two settings in MSFS.   There are many technical articles online demonstrating that MSFS's vsync algorithm is very resource-intensive.  

This is because MSFS uses a 'full fat' Vsync process, where Nvidia has a 'Fast' Vsync setting that uses 75% less CPU cycles but (to mine and others' eyes) looks just as good.   So Vsync off in the sim, frames unlocked in the sim, and Vsync set to "fast" in Nvidia Control Panel, and frames locked (I used 36) in there too is the way to go for most people.

• Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

32 minutes ago, JYW said:

Vsync set to "fast" in Nvidia Control Panel, and frames locked (I used 36) in there too is the way to go for most people

What's the proper application name for MSFS in the Nvidia control panel?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

16 hours ago, JDWalley said:

This has nothing to do with the Fenix, but it's interesting to me, because, the one time ever I flew in an A320, we started the engines on-stand before pushback, because the APU was INOP.

Check out this guy's video. He does a "manual ground air start up" at the gate.  It's long, but very interesting to watch a real world pilot do some flying with failures.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

In regard to overall performance, I have found that if I activate any AI be it AIGTC or the built in live traffic, I get some stutters in the Fenix, PMDG, and FBW.

With no AI, they all run smooth on my system.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

39 minutes ago, JYW said:

For Nvidia users, turning on Vsync and locking FPS via Nvidia control Panel (and OFF in the sim), will give higher performance and increased smoothness than using those two settings in MSFS.   There are many technical articles online demonstrating that MSFS's vsync algorithm is very resource-intensive.  

This is because MSFS uses a 'full fat' Vsync process, where Nvidia has a 'Fast' Vsync setting that uses 75% less CPU cycles but (to mine and others' eyes) looks just as good.   So Vsync off in the sim, frames unlocked in the sim, and Vsync set to "fast" in Nvidia Control Panel, and frames locked (I used 36) in there too is the way to go for most people.

Whilst I haven't bought the Fenix (yet) this is exactly how I've set my sim up but locked at 30.  I have an old system i7 4790k, 1070, 16GB @1080P and I get mostly 30 FPS and smooth unless I'm running AIG with slider over 50%.

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

What's the proper application name for MSFS in the Nvidia control panel?

Microsoft Flight Simulator

• Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Update is out. Said to address performance issues. Please report how it is. 

Roi Ben

19 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator

Too easy!

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I can't yet, because I'm already in the air for a 3 hour flight. What I can tell you that I test the unpatched release version in VR, and as opposed to others that complained that it was unflyable, I cannot confirm such an assessment.

In fact it runs similar to the FBW NEO in VR.

So far after two flights I have no conclusive verdict on performance. I saw really bad performance underway, but quite acceptable one at add-on airports like Düsseldorf and Tennerife Sur. And right now I'm seeing fluid performance in the air.

1 hour ago, roi1862 said:

Update is out. Said to address performance issues. Please report how it is. 

Seems to add work to the GPU and all the cores my PC (which is a good thing) and produces a tidy uplift in FPS: under the same conditions in cruise, gone from low-50s to solid mid-50s-60+ (capped by vsync). On the ground, likewise, added a useful 4-6fps at EGLL. 

Edited by tfm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tfm said:

Seems to add work to the GPU and all the cores my PC (which is a good thing) and produces a tidy uplift in FPS: under the same conditions in cruise, gone from low-50s to solid mid-50s-60+ (capped by vsync). On the ground, likewise, added a useful 4-6fps at EGLL. 

In the VC, ready for takeoff state, with runway and captain's instruments in view, I got exactly the same FPS.

3 minutes ago, odourboy said:

In the VC, ready for takeoff state, with runway and captain's instruments in view, I got exactly the same FPS.

☹️

1 minute ago, tfm said:

☹️

To be fair, I wasn't unhappy with my performance to begin with. And who knows if that was a fair test of the issues they addressed in the update?