Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Qualitywings 787, where are you?

6 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

When Matt first mentioned the G5000 comparison it got me curious so I searched around on google, and came across this article I posted on another thread, FWIW (how GA/bizjet avionics are more complex and feature-rich than tubeliners): https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-09-23/bizjets-fly-better-modern-integrated-avionics

And again FWIW, more comments from Matt and another WT member on this topic from their discord:

Matt (nishmaster) [Z-5]
To be honest, I think a lot of folks have inflated senses of what airliner avionics are: really the latest GA avionics are a good deal more complex
Matt (nishmaster) [Z-5] — Yesterday at 09:27
What's in the 787 is way closer to a proline 21 with some additional screen pane stuff than a G3000 or Fusion
K20017 [Z-4] — Yesterday at 09:28
Airliner avionics are cavemen era compared to a G5000 capability.

I guess more automation, ease-of-use, and features in modern avionics like the G5000 actually means more complex tech behind the scenes running everything which is maybe what Matt and team are alluding to.

Sure but my point is the WT 787 is actually missing lots of the complex parts of the avionics (things like on approach logic,  a VSD many FMC functions etc)  at the moment, so I wondered if that’s why they (and K20017 apparently)  thought the 787 avionics were a lot less complex than they are. 

I’ve operated 787s for years have some G5000 experience and the 787 avionics certainly aren’t caveman in comparison or as simple as made out above. 

Others opinions may vary though!

• Like 3

Based on @g-liner comments throughout this thread I'm keen to see the final release of this AAU for the 787.  Have not participated in the beta.  Another great addition to the hangar

48 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Based on @g-liner comments throughout this thread I'm keen to see the final release of this AAU for the 787.  Have not participated in the beta.  Another great addition to the hangar

Yes the 78 is now light years better than it was and the guys at WT seem keen to improve it more during the beta. 

You can now do a flight with Boeing (or an airlines) SOPs and most of it works fine. 

It’s  not PMDG level and doesn’t set out to be. . . . but it’s still very good and I’m really happy WT have got involved. I really hope you also enjoy it when it’s released fully. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, g-liner said:

It’s  not PMDG level and doesn’t set out to be. . . . but it’s still very good and I’m really happy WT have got involved. I really hope you also enjoy it when it’s released fully. 

I'm enjoying the Headwind A330, so am pretty sure I'll like the 787 too.  I miss the PMDG 777 though.  Counting the days...

Edited by ErichB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, g-liner said:

I wondered if that’s why they (and K20017 apparently)  thought the 787 avionics were a lot less complex than they are.

Not really. K20017 is on our staff and a captain, so these opinions aren't coming out of a lack of airliner experience. Of course folks are absolutely free to disagree, but the Garmin stuff has at least as much going on under the hood as the Boeing stuff, it's just a bit more abstracted or automated.

8 hours ago, g-liner said:

Sure but my point is the WT 787 is actually missing lots of the complex parts of the avionics (things like on approach logic,  a VSD many FMC functions etc)

Not because of a knowledge gap on our end. At the end of the day, time and resources are a fixed bucket and you have to prioritize the things that you feel will have the most pilot impact. VSD is great, but you can also get that information about profile elsewhere (and it isn't like the G5000 doesn't have one, we just made the same time decision on those avionics, and that one is even more complicated because it has smooth auto-zoom and x/y scaling), FMS On-Approach logic was already scheduled, just not in the build yet (coming), a few of the much lesser used FMC pages just aren't planned.

I know I talk about this a bunch, but people vastly underestimate the time required to get even to this level of fidelity, because there are so many details going on under the hood that users don't see or take entirely for granted, because on the exterior they appear simple. So, you have to pick and choose the biggest bang-for-buck featureset as best you can, and of course that's always a bit of a subjective decision, but we try our best to get it as right as we can.

• Like 16
  • Upvote 7

22 hours ago, ErichB said:

I miss the PMDG 777 though.  Counting the days...

Yeah that’s the one I’m waiting for too.  Assuming QW don’t appear with the 78 like Lazarus raised from the dead! 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 11:29 PM, PIC007 said:

QW Update:

Finally talked to Ernie....no details but QW is alive but in a holding pattern while a possible restructuring is being considered.

Nothing else at this  point.

It's good to hear something like this, because I keep wondering why on earth they can't just say that but instead hide until everybody has forgotten about them.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

From what I understand QW lost a key dev that was with the from P3D days and are in a holding pattern. Robert Randazzo of PMDG did say in one interview that a dev did approach him for help with finishing/make 787. I think QW got stuck and reached out to PMDG for help. This is all speculation but one can draw an educated conclusion.

Edited by may7day
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, may7day said:

From what I understand QW lost a key dev that was with the from P3D days and are in a holding pattern. Robert Randazzo of PMDG did say in one interview that a dev did approach him for help with finishing/make 787. I think QW got stuck and reached out to PMDG for help. This is all speculation but one can draw an educated conclusion.

QW losing a key developer, and not being able to replace that key developer,  would explain why they missed their original 2021 Q2 release estimate.

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

It also seems that PMDG more than has its plate full with Xbox/Marketplace, EFB, 777, 747, 737 Max.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

49 minutes ago, may7day said:

I don't believe that interview mentioned that - People did assume that originally but at the very end of the interview they talked about a 777X and Robert mentioned the same party being involved as the 787 and that party is Boeing rather than QW.

Edited by Zangoose
  • Upvote 2

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

On 5/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, threegreen said:

It's good to hear something like this, because I keep wondering why on earth they can't just say that but instead hide until everybody has forgotten about them.

Keep in mind they still sell the QW 787 and other aircraft for P3D. Even if they made their decision to shut the shop, they probably wouldn't make it public for that very reason. That's why I usually give little to what devs say but rather to what they do (or don't in this case).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, may7day said:

That was not QW that Randazzo was referring to as a well known live Twitch streamer who is close friends to Robert confirmed this on a recent live stream. QW at the moment is at a holding point or even dead in development and in my opinion it "really sucks".

19 hours ago, may7day said:

He was talking about being "in talks with a company that makes them" (787s), but that's Boeing, not QW.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD