Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

21 minutes ago, VBHB said:

Yeah pretty happy with them these days.  Some nice anvils when flying around Japan today.

https://imgur.com/a/aH1ScSp

IMHO that sky looks awful. Just a load of cumulus puffs joined together.  SU10 today so fingers crossed for weather improvements.

• Like 3

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

A couple things I've noticed that I don't remember from the early days of MSFS (for me, there are "early days" and then "a week ago", with a big gap in between). First, I've seen on a few occasions now where banks of clouds magically disappear or appear out of nowhere. I'm guessing this related to live weather, but "in the early days" I don't remember this ever happening - it was just a smooth transition from cloudy to clear and vice-versa. It doesn't happen all the time, mind you, but when it does, it is jarring.

The other thing I noticed is that clouds have no "substance", in that when flying through them my wing is just as visible as when flying on a sunny day. I swear that my wing used to "fade away into the clouds" when flying through them. Is this the case, or am I confusing one memory (perhaps IRL flight even) with another? It's been awhile since I've flown MSFS.

Let me post 2 screenshots for once that just serve the purpose, that MrBitstFlyer can't reply with "just loads of cumulus puffs again..." 😉

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by mrueedi
pressed submit before adding the images!
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

First, I've seen on a few occasions now where banks of clouds magically disappear or appear out of nowhere. I'm guessing this related to live weather, but "in the early days" I don't remember this ever happening - it was just a smooth transition from cloudy to clear and vice-versa. It doesn't happen all the time, mind you, but when it does, it is jarring.

Yup...along with the many other weather regressions since the early versions.  I think a lot of the issues, especially this one, came about when they introduced the METAR implementation and trying to mix that in with what was a beautiful Live WX environment.  I still think this was a bad move on their part unless they can find a way to integrate this data better but I just do not see how it can be done given all the inaccuracies with METAR's which are extremely localized.  I also see a lot of these abrupt changes and they started when that change was implemented a few updates ago.  They improved it somewhat from that first rendition where WX would sometimes go from clear to zero visibility on short final....

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

3 hours ago, mrueedi said:

Let me post 2 screenshots for once that just serve the purpose, that MrBitstFlyer can't reply with "just loads of cumulus puffs again...

For months any live weather shots have almost 100% been cumulus only. The image I responded to was plain ugly - a stretch to describe that mess as an anvil!

Very nice to see the image you posted - is this SU10 beta?  Is it Live Weather? Certainly a sky I rarely see in MSFS.  Will be interesting to see if cloud types have improved at all through the SU10 beta, because they have a long way to go to match RexWeatherforce.

KLGA-REX-1.png

Anchorage-REX2.png

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

On 7/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

For months any live weather shots have almost 100% been cumulus only. The image I responded to was plain ugly - a stretch to describe that mess as an anvil!

Very nice to see the image you posted - is this SU10 beta?  Is it Live Weather? Certainly a sky I rarely see in MSFS.  Will be interesting to see if cloud types have improved at all through the SU10 beta, because they have a long way to go to match RexWeatherforce.

your top picture shows one of my current pet peeves.  One of Asobos latest trends seems to be to increase the number of 'puffs per inch' for lack of a better term.  Its like a little dog with dirty paws went and tracked up the sky.  Each of those small clouds should just be a nice small cloud and not a collection of many small puffs (imo)

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Images in quoted post removed

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

23 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Very nice to see the image you posted - is this SU10 beta?  Is it Live Weather? Certainly a sky I rarely see in MSFS.  Will be interesting to see if cloud types have improved at all through the SU10 beta

No, this is SU9. Not live weather. The screenshots are just meant as evidence that "MSFS can only render cumulus" is not true.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have to think/hope DX12 implementation will be a significant part the pathway towards significantly improving cloud resolution.  Right now, SU9, cloud depiction up close are just very sad 😔

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

How many are running this thing right now 3 million ? . probably 8 million over the next year, is my guess, including cellphone users..

Therefore has the answer to the OP question even been answered here ?  err no not at all, not even close,  , some good advice/technical support for sure, but no answer at all, period.

To much subjective garbage . And maybe send both versions screenshots when comparing,

Edited by icewater5

2 hours ago, mrueedi said:

No, this is SU9. Not live weather. The screenshots are just meant as evidence that "MSFS can only render cumulus" is not true.

I have never suggested MSFS can only produce cumulus. Clearly it can produce other cloud types, but most of them in presets only.  

• Like 1

And presets.....

Are so... uncivilized. 😃

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Something is still off with the sky.

Let's be honest, which of these would you judge as more photorealistic? Same place, same time, ultra settings, scattered clouds preset. One shot from SU10 beta and one from the 2020 release version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

If only someone with direct access to the source code could explain the changes made that led to all the differences since SU5 and if restoring the quality is possible...

• Like 3