Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

In MSFS You're Not A Person, You're A Camera

3 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

In MSFS you can not smell anything, I hope some modder is on to this!

I keep a little can of Avgas next to me while flying. 'As real as it gets'!

I wouldn't recommend this.

• Like 2

Just now, RichUK said:

🤣

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kakihara123 said:

Simple: What are you actually simulating? I would say a pilot. 

Yes, a pilot. Not a pedestrian or member of the Rambler's Association.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

I'm for it, because it seems there are people here that would like the feature. I don't care too much about it and thats fine, I don't have to use it if it's implemented. I would however hope they take care of other outstanding issues in the core sim first, before adding features like this that aren't imperative to the function of a flight sim.

• Upvote 1

Everybody... 'I am a camera!'

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Let's get real guys. This is a flight simulator that allows the user to operate and 'fly' an aircraft, (or glider, or maybe even one day a balloon), and does so by making all the functions in this process as operable as possible or as necessary for the level of capability of the user. It also lends a lot of tech to immersion so that the user is not just flicking switches on a computer but feels they could be in fact be doing this on the flight deck of an airliner, or whatever they are flying. The flight dynamics are created to make the user feel that aero maneuvers have real and plausible outcomes, that the weather and lighting is immersive and allows the user to really feel the effects of sun strike, reduced visibility and disorientation in cloud. The scenery is near as possible to what can really be seen during a flight and provides important visual cues for any pilot including wind direction and speed, obstacles, aids to navigations etc.  The flight planning capabilities and the realism of the airport sceneries with sometimes confusing taxiways and lighting at night all add to the immersion that is associated with operating a flight safely from engine start to engine shutdown. The same could be said for these crane simulator vids I posted below. While this is a professional training simulator, everything that is necessary for the trainee to feel immersed in the construction site including objects, obstacles, moving people etc helps impart realism to the task that is being simulated.

In contrast, having argument with their partner, speeding of to the airport or the construction site, getting pulled over by the cops, then heading for the bars and golf clubs after work are nothing to do with the simulator. In other words, yes a lot of extraneous and generic activities  could be added but they would not be specific to a flight simulator or any simulator for that matter. It really would be outside the sims task and would cost a lot of developer time which is not focused on the core sim. Just because they can do this and just because world wide flight opportunities and high spec scenery that MSFS brings might enhance such an endeavour, doesn't mean it should be done. Indeed, we should dispense with these ideas in favour of better core sim capabilities like weather and AI aircraft, ATC, flight dynamics etc, 

Fixed camera views and playback (this latter case highly inadequate in MSFS) are essential to a wider understanding of the task especially when learning. The crane simulators you can see have some great views that will assist the operator to see what he is doing wrong...or right. The drone in MSFS gives mobility and flexibility to camera views while also providing a great tool to take advantage of the scenery and lighting in MSFS. But I would argue it is not essential. I mean, I personally wouldn't like not having it, but if it didn't exist it wouldn't affect the core elements of the flight sim. So far as walkarounds are concerned, it meets the task without all the development work going into simulated people. I mean where does that stop!    

So these are just some thoughts. Maybe one day we can have this world simulator, it would be fun, maybe. You might be able to unload a ship load of containers and then fly a B747. But it necessarily would not have the depth of simulation provided by MSFS, these crane simulators or any other simulator for that matter. Simulators are horses for courses and should remain so.   

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

MSFS allows me to explore the entire world in far greater detail and real-world accuracy than has ever been possible before, from great cities to the most remote and inaccessible places on the planet and everything in between. All this for a price that is less than the cost of an evening out in many places. Now I am told that the fact that the failure to simulate the act of walking around in the cockpit is an immersion killer?

These forum discussions are truly fascinating. Just when think I have seen everything ...

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

The fact that you cannot actually "walk" in MSFS 2020 is an immersion killer. A lot of games are able to simulate your character actually walking, getting into a chair, etc. 

In MSFS you're basically just gliding around like you're on rails. You can't actually climb into the left-hand seat, basically, all you can do is posítion your camera. 

Hopefully, an enterprising modder is on this. 

I recommend Fallout 4, Cyberpunk, Red Dead Redemption 2…Great immersive games where you can walk, fly and ever ride a horse!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

4 hours ago, RichUK said:

Probably cheaper than my method. I go to the local airport and hire a number of plane spotters to stand behind my couch and take photos while I simulate flying 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

8 hours ago, kakihara123 said:

And what do you think a pilot is? And why should getting to your plane not be part of a flight sim? Or the walkaround? Why not let planes be parked in a hangar and open that? You really lack imagination big time. And If you didn't already know it. 

I need to go down to the shops and pick up some milk....I demand that be modelled. Also, after the flight I often need to use the bathroom and I'm yet to see flushing urinals molded correctly. Absolute immersion killer.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

They MSFS should have a proper Avatar/walk around mode. On top of that they should have a flyby camara in flight and a proper replay system too. JMO. Of coarse no one needs to use these features if they don't want to but some people use these for their own evaluation tools that are available in other sims.

Edited by jbdbow1970

I think the use of the term "immersion killer" is a bit extreme. 

However,  it would be pretty cool to one day have aicraft modelled where we would be able to do a walkaround and catch things that if missed might lead to an in flight failure.  

Cheers.

Matt Webb

24 minutes ago, KL Oo said:

I need to go down to the shops and pick up some milk....I demand that be modelled. Also, after the flight I often need to use the bathroom and I'm yet to see flushing urinals molded correctly. Absolute immersion killer.

Logical fallacy. Shopping at the supermarket has nothing to do with doing a walk around at night with no flashlight and forgetting the pitot covers. One has nothing to do with flying. The other is a scenario that has killed hundreds of pilots.

It's okay to want dev time spent on other things. It's not okay to dismiss the entire preflight as pointless.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

9 hours ago, Paul K said:

Yes, a pilot. Not a pedestrian or member of the Rambler's Association.

Pilots teleport into their planes, do they? 🙂

Flightsims actually generally don’t simulate pilots. They simulate empty cockpits. 

I get the feeling that some simmers like machinery, but really don’t like people very much. 

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

It's a shame there's so many short-sighted people here, as before the possibilities of this title are endless so why block them? Embrace what it could become, not limit it to "just" a Flight Simulator. I mean if you look at Flightsim.to you'll soon see this is much more than just about flying fancy airplanes already, open your minds!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)